NE2000 compatible NIC in Solaris 10 - Solaris

This is a discussion on NE2000 compatible NIC in Solaris 10 - Solaris ; Used to have a Realtek 8029 (NE2000 compatible NIC) working in Solaris 8. After installing Solaris 10 in the same box, proceeded in the same way as in Solaris 8: Solaris x86 FAQ (Section 6.6. How can I get Solaris ...

  1. NE2000 compatible NIC in Solaris 10

    Used to have a Realtek 8029 (NE2000 compatible NIC) working in Solaris 8.

    After installing Solaris 10 in the same box, proceeded in the same way as
    in Solaris 8: Solaris x86 FAQ (Section 6.6. How can I get Solaris to
    recognize a NE2000 compatible NIC?).

    (1) After unzipping, driver was placed in /kernel/drv/nei.

    (2) Created /kernel/drv/nei.conf file, same as in Solaris 8.

    (3) Created /etc/hostname.nei0 file, same as in Solaris 8

    Related commands output error messages as follows,

    # /usr/sbin/drvconfig -i nei
    drvconfig: drive failed to attach: nei

    # add_drv nei; devlinks // path not specified as per error message
    devfsadm: driver failed to attach: nei
    Warning: Driver (nei) successfully added to system but failed to attach
    Jul 13 13:16:39 Hal genunix: /kernel/drv/nei: undefined symbol
    Jul 13 13:16:39 Hal genunix: 'gldbroadcastaddr'
    Jul 13 13:16:39 Hal genunix: /kernel/drv/nei: undefined sysmbol
    Jul 13 13:16:39 Hal genunix: 'gldcrc32'
    Jul 13 13:16:39 Hal genunix: WARNING: mod_load: cannot load modules 'nei'

    # touch /reconfigure; /usr/sbin/init 6

    # ifconfig nei0 plumb
    ifconfig: plumb: nei0: No such file or directory
    Jul 13 13:39:15 Hal genunix: /kernel/drv/nei: undefined symbol
    Jul 13 13:39:15 Hal genunix: 'gldbroadcastaddr'
    Jul 13 13:39:15 Hal genunix: /kernel/drv/nei: undefined sysmbol
    Jul 13 13:39:15 Hal genunix: 'gldcrc32'
    Jul 13 13:39:15 Hal genunix: WARNING: mod_load: cannot load module 'nei'

    dmesg outputs the following related messages:

    /kernel/drv/nei: undefined symbol 'gldbroadcastaddr'
    /kernel/drv/nei: undefined symbol 'gldcrc32'
    WARNING: mod_load: cannot load module 'nei'

    Any help will be appreciated.

    -- Julio

  2. Re: NE2000 compatible NIC in Solaris 10

    > Used to have a Realtek 8029 (NE2000 compatible NIC) working in Solaris 8.
    >
    > After installing Solaris 10 in the same box, proceeded in the same way as
    > in Solaris 8: Solaris x86 FAQ (Section 6.6. How can I get Solaris to
    > recognize a NE2000 compatible NIC?).

    The best place to start with this is http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/, the so
    called Hardware Compatibility List.

    In your case I think that you should look into using the rtl driver, its
    specificly aimed at realtek cards.

    --
    Groetjes, Peter

    ..\\ PGP/GPG key: http://www.catslair.org/pubkey.asc

  3. Re: NE2000 compatible NIC in Solaris 10

    Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    > It looks like nei is a GLDv0 NIC driver.
    > These are no longer supported from Solaris 10.

    Thanks for the replies gentelmen.

    The Solaris x86 FAQ suggests http://homepage2.nifty.com/mrym3/taiyodo/eng/
    for more free Solaris NIC drivers. Paragraph 5 contains a driver for the
    Realtek RTL 8029. The driver is in a source file, therefore compilation
    will be needed, phew. I think I will go this way.

    Thank you once again.

    -- Julio

  4. Re: NE2000 compatible NIC in Solaris 10

    Julio Uehara wrote:
    > Lion-O wrote:
    >> In your case I think that you should look into using the rtl driver, its
    >> specificly aimed at realtek cards.

    > Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    >> It looks like nei is a GLDv0 NIC driver.
    >> These are no longer supported from Solaris 10.
    >>

    > Thanks for the replies gentelmen.
    >
    > The Solaris x86 FAQ suggests http://homepage2.nifty.com/mrym3/taiyodo/eng/
    > for more free Solaris NIC drivers. Paragraph 5 contains a driver for the
    > Realtek RTL 8029. The driver is in a source file, therefore compilation
    > will be needed, phew. I think I will go this way.

    Finally got the NIC working again in Solaris 10. This is the final part of
    the story.

    (1) Downloaded the ni-0.8.11.tar.gz source file from the above mentioned site.
    (2) After decompressing it, followed the instruction in the README.txt file
    (3) Nothing to link or compile, just started from "/usr/ccs/bin/make install"
    (4) Installation script (./addni.sh) asks: "Reboot client to install driver"
    (5) System hangs up during startup after the 5-second timeout.
    Troubleshooting part in README.txt file explains how to boot with options,
    (b -a) at the same 5-second timeout, after manual restart.
    (6) Assuming that some hardware was causing the hungup during startup, removed
    a SCSI card (PCI-SC200) an one of the two NICs.
    Then, installation completed normally.
    -------
    -bash-3.00# ifconfig -a
    lo0: flags=2001000849 mtu 8232
    index 1
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
    ni0: flags=1000843 mtu 1500 index 2
    inet 192.168.1.7 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
    ether 0:40:26:80:9:3b
    -------
    (7) In spite of the above, didn't have connection to the Internet (couldn't
    ping outside my network). Reviewing my notes, stumbled upon the line:
    hosts: files dns // yes, added "dns"
    in /etc/nsswitch.conf file.
    After appending "dns", ping outside my network was possible.

    Note: (a) "snoop" command mentioned in the README.txt file (Troubleshooting)
    outputs the following:
    -bash-3.00# snoop -d /dev/ni0
    snoop: /dev//dev/ni: No such file or directory
    (b) Will reinstall removed NIC as SCSI card seemed to be the cause of
    trouble.

    Hope it helps somebody,

    -- Julio

+ Reply to Thread