NTFS mount on Solaris? - Solaris

This is a discussion on NTFS mount on Solaris? - Solaris ; Hi, doing some preliminary searching, it appears that Solaris is unable to mount an NTFS file system. Is this still true for Solaris 10 06/06? If so, are there any plans to include support? Thanks!...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: NTFS mount on Solaris?

  1. NTFS mount on Solaris?

    Hi,

    doing some preliminary searching, it appears that Solaris is unable to
    mount an NTFS file system. Is this still true for Solaris 10 06/06? If
    so, are there any plans to include support? Thanks!


  2. Re: NTFS mount on Solaris?

    On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 11:56:35 -0700, santiago53 wrote:

    > doing some preliminary searching, it appears that Solaris is unable to
    > mount an NTFS file system. Is this still true for Solaris 10 06/06? If
    > so, are there any plans to include support? Thanks!


    Your searching is rather shallow. The same question was asked in
    comp.unix.solaris on 25 Jun 2006 and was answered.


  3. Re: NTFS mount on Solaris?

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 11:56:35 -0700, santiago53 wrote:
    >
    >> doing some preliminary searching, it appears that Solaris is unable to
    >> mount an NTFS file system. Is this still true for Solaris 10 06/06? If
    >> so, are there any plans to include support? Thanks!

    >
    > Your searching is rather shallow. The same question was asked in
    > comp.unix.solaris on 25 Jun 2006 and was answered.


    Your claims are rather shallow. I searched google for "solaris 10
    +ntfs" and found nothing on that date.




  4. Re: NTFS mount on Solaris?

    Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > Dave Uhring wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 11:56:35 -0700, santiago53 wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>doing some preliminary searching, it appears that Solaris is unable to
    >>>mount an NTFS file system. Is this still true for Solaris 10 06/06? If
    >>>so, are there any plans to include support? Thanks!

    >>
    >>Your searching is rather shallow. The same question was asked in
    >>comp.unix.solaris on 25 Jun 2006 and was answered.

    >
    >
    > Your claims are rather shallow. I searched google for "solaris 10
    > +ntfs" and found nothing on that date.
    >

    Indeed, try the tread "solaris 10 6/06 filesystem support" from the 26th.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  5. Re: NTFS mount on Solaris?

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >> Dave Uhring wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 11:56:35 -0700, santiago53 wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>doing some preliminary searching, it appears that Solaris is unable to
    >>>>mount an NTFS file system. Is this still true for Solaris 10 06/06? If
    >>>>so, are there any plans to include support? Thanks!
    >>>
    >>>Your searching is rather shallow. The same question was asked in
    >>>comp.unix.solaris on 25 Jun 2006 and was answered.

    >>
    >>
    >> Your claims are rather shallow. I searched google for "solaris 10
    >> +ntfs" and found nothing on that date.
    >>

    > Indeed, try the tread "solaris 10 6/06 filesystem support" from the 26th.


    I get it now. When somebody wants to look if solaris 10 supports NTFS,
    they should run a query on "solaris 10 6/06 filesystem support".

    Thanks sunsolve.

  6. Re: NTFS mount on Solaris?

    Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > Ian Collins wrote:
    >
    >>Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >>
    >>>Dave Uhring wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 11:56:35 -0700, santiago53 wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>doing some preliminary searching, it appears that Solaris is unable to
    >>>>>mount an NTFS file system. Is this still true for Solaris 10 06/06? If
    >>>>>so, are there any plans to include support? Thanks!
    >>>>
    >>>>Your searching is rather shallow. The same question was asked in
    >>>>comp.unix.solaris on 25 Jun 2006 and was answered.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Your claims are rather shallow. I searched google for "solaris 10
    >>>+ntfs" and found nothing on that date.
    >>>

    >>
    >>Indeed, try the tread "solaris 10 6/06 filesystem support" from the 26th.

    >
    >
    > I get it now. When somebody wants to look if solaris 10 supports NTFS,
    > they should run a query on "solaris 10 6/06 filesystem support".
    >

    Well considering google returns about 231,000 hits for solaris mount
    ntfs, the original comment regarding shallow searching appears valid.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  7. Re: NTFS mount on Solaris?

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >
    >>Ian Collins wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Dave Uhring wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 11:56:35 -0700, santiago53 wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>>doing some preliminary searching, it appears that Solaris is unable to
    >>>>>>mount an NTFS file system. Is this still true for Solaris 10 06/06? If
    >>>>>>so, are there any plans to include support? Thanks!
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Your searching is rather shallow. The same question was asked in
    >>>>>comp.unix.solaris on 25 Jun 2006 and was answered.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>Your claims are rather shallow. I searched google for "solaris 10
    >>>>+ntfs" and found nothing on that date.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>Indeed, try the tread "solaris 10 6/06 filesystem support" from the 26th.

    >>
    >>
    >>I get it now. When somebody wants to look if solaris 10 supports NTFS,
    >>they should run a query on "solaris 10 6/06 filesystem support".
    >>

    >
    > Well considering google returns about 231,000 hits for solaris mount
    > ntfs, the original comment regarding shallow searching appears valid.
    >

    It appears your logic is shallow, unless you're suggesting that a
    significant portion of those 231,000 hits would have answered my question.

  8. Re: NTFS mount on Solaris?

    santiago538 wrote:
    > Ian Collins wrote:
    >> Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >>
    >>>Ian Collins wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>Dave Uhring wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>>On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 11:56:35 -0700, santiago53 wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>>doing some preliminary searching, it appears that Solaris is unable to
    >>>>>>>mount an NTFS file system. Is this still true for Solaris 10 06/06? If
    >>>>>>>so, are there any plans to include support? Thanks!
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>Your searching is rather shallow. The same question was asked in
    >>>>>>comp.unix.solaris on 25 Jun 2006 and was answered.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Your claims are rather shallow. I searched google for "solaris 10
    >>>>>+ntfs" and found nothing on that date.
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>Indeed, try the tread "solaris 10 6/06 filesystem support" from the 26th.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>I get it now. When somebody wants to look if solaris 10 supports NTFS,
    >>>they should run a query on "solaris 10 6/06 filesystem support".
    >>>

    >>
    >> Well considering google returns about 231,000 hits for solaris mount
    >> ntfs, the original comment regarding shallow searching appears valid.
    >>

    > It appears your logic is shallow, unless you're suggesting that a
    > significant portion of those 231,000 hits would have answered my question.


    What you're seeing here is that lots of sun people are worthless assholes.
    They're not able to do much more than come up with stupid quips, vs.
    giving answers, or telling people to search the sun support sites- which
    consist of the weakest most irrelevant search results and some of the
    poorest documentation out there to begin with.

    Luckily, solaris 10 is still pretty cool.

  9. Re: NTFS mount on Solaris?

    santiago538 wrote:
    >>
    >> Well considering google returns about 231,000 hits for solaris mount
    >> ntfs, the original comment regarding shallow searching appears valid.
    >>

    > It appears your logic is shallow, unless you're suggesting that a
    > significant portion of those 231,000 hits would have answered my question.


    OK, I refined the search to "solaris 10" mount ntfs and the first hit
    answers the question.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  10. Re: NTFS mount on Solaris?

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 11:56:35 -0700, santiago53 wrote:
    >
    >> doing some preliminary searching, it appears that Solaris is unable to
    >> mount an NTFS file system. Is this still true for Solaris 10 06/06? If
    >> so, are there any plans to include support? Thanks!

    >
    > Your searching is rather shallow. The same question was asked in
    > comp.unix.solaris on 25 Jun 2006 and was answered.
    >


    I don't understand this attitude. People are looking for help. If you
    can't help, then keep quiet.

  11. Re: NTFS mount on Solaris?

    On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 19:28:44 +0000, Bob Oblong wrote:

    > Dave Uhring wrote:


    >> Your searching is rather shallow. The same question was asked in
    >> comp.unix.solaris on 25 Jun 2006 and was answered.
    >>

    >
    > I don't understand this attitude. People are looking for help. If you
    > can't help, then keep quiet.


    If directing someone to a specific NG and date is not helpful then just
    what do you expect? I could also have recommended that the OP read
    mount(1M) and therein discover that Solaris does not support NTFS but
    reading actual man pages seems to be beyond the capabilities of some
    people.

    Where was your help?


  12. Re: NTFS mount on Solaris?

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 19:28:44 +0000, Bob Oblong wrote:
    >
    >> Dave Uhring wrote:

    >
    >>> Your searching is rather shallow. The same question was asked in
    >>> comp.unix.solaris on 25 Jun 2006 and was answered.
    >>>

    >>
    >> I don't understand this attitude. People are looking for help. If you
    >> can't help, then keep quiet.

    >
    > If directing someone to a specific NG and date is not helpful then just
    > what do you expect? I could also have recommended that the OP read



    > mount(1M) and therein discover that Solaris does not support NTFS but


    See, that was hard, and even took up less crybaby whining that your first
    reply.

  13. Re: NTFS mount on Solaris?

    On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 20:13:47 +0000, Cydrome Leader wrote:

    > Dave Uhring wrote:


    >> mount(1M) and therein discover that Solaris does not support NTFS but

    >
    > See, that was hard, and even took up less crybaby whining that your first
    > reply.


    The OP had *two* questions, not just the one that mount(1M) answers.
    While any answer to the second question can only be speculative, even
    among the executive management of SUNW, the thread in c.u.s. to which I
    referred provides excellent reasons why the answer will be "never".


  14. Re: NTFS mount on Solaris?

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 20:13:47 +0000, Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Dave Uhring wrote:

    >
    >
    >>>mount(1M) and therein discover that Solaris does not support NTFS but

    >>
    >>See, that was hard, and even took up less crybaby whining that your first
    >>reply.

    >
    >
    > The OP had *two* questions, not just the one that mount(1M) answers.
    > While any answer to the second question can only be speculative, even
    > among the executive management of SUNW, the thread in c.u.s. to which I
    > referred provides excellent reasons why the answer will be "never".
    >

    But this silly thread does show one thing: refer to a Usenet thread by
    subject rather than date.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  15. Re: NTFS mount on Solaris?

    On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 12:07:30 +1200, Ian Collins wrote:

    > But this silly thread does show one thing: refer to a Usenet thread by
    > subject rather than date.


    I specifically provided the NG and date only. The OP was perfectly
    welcome to use Google's advanced search for text "ntfs" starting with the
    specified date and only from c.u.s.

    The information I provided was sufficiently complete to answer *both* of
    the OP's questions and I notice that nobody else has elected to provide
    any other answer.


  16. Re: NTFS mount on Solaris?

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 12:07:30 +1200, Ian Collins wrote:
    >
    >
    >>But this silly thread does show one thing: refer to a Usenet thread by
    >>subject rather than date.

    >
    >
    > I specifically provided the NG and date only. The OP was perfectly
    > welcome to use Google's advanced search for text "ntfs" starting with the
    > specified date and only from c.u.s.
    >

    You forget timezones, I received the message on the 26th, as would
    anyone else east of GMT +2.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  17. Re: NTFS mount on Solaris?

    On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 12:39:58 +1200, Ian Collins wrote:

    > Dave Uhring wrote:


    >> I specifically provided the NG and date only. The OP was perfectly
    >> welcome to use Google's advanced search for text "ntfs" starting with the
    >> specified date and only from c.u.s.
    >>

    > You forget timezones, I received the message on the 26th, as would
    > anyone else east of GMT +2.


    But if you started your search on the 25th you would include messages from
    the 26th :-)


  18. Re: NTFS mount on Solaris?

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 12:07:30 +1200, Ian Collins wrote:
    >
    >> But this silly thread does show one thing: refer to a Usenet thread by
    >> subject rather than date.

    >
    > I specifically provided the NG and date only. The OP was perfectly
    > welcome to use Google's advanced search for text "ntfs" starting with the
    > specified date and only from c.u.s.
    >
    > The information I provided was sufficiently complete to answer *both* of
    > the OP's questions and I notice that nobody else has elected to provide
    > any other answer.


    weak save, try harder.

  19. Re: NTFS mount on Solaris?

    On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 05:17:37 +0000, Cydrome Leader wrote:

    > weak save, try harder.


    No need to try harder. People incapable of using Google have no ability
    to run UNIX.

    *plonk*


  20. Re: NTFS mount on Solaris?

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 05:17:37 +0000, Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >
    >> weak save, try harder.

    >
    > No need to try harder. People incapable of using Google have no ability
    > to run UNIX.
    >
    > *plonk*


    good robot. Now there will be less of your prattle to fill up google
    archives.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast