16 slices or 10? - Solaris

This is a discussion on 16 slices or 10? - Solaris ; How many slices can you use on a Solaris 10 x86 system. Most Sun docs state 0-9 (10 slices) , but we used to do 16 slices (s0-s15). Is it because format only allows 0-9. I believe we can still ...

  1. 16 slices or 10?

    How many slices can you use on a Solaris 10 x86 system. Most Sun docs
    state 0-9 (10 slices) , but we used to do 16 slices (s0-s15). Is it
    because format only allows 0-9. I believe we can still create 16 using
    fmthard? Has anyone tried it recently (version 1/06 or newer)? I
    don't have a system to test it on.

  2. Re: 16 slices or 10?

    "B Calkins" writes:

    > How many slices can you use on a Solaris 10 x86 system. Most Sun docs
    > state 0-9 (10 slices) , but we used to do 16 slices (s0-s15). Is it
    > because format only allows 0-9. I believe we can still create 16 using
    > fmthard? Has anyone tried it recently (version 1/06 or newer)? I
    > don't have a system to test it on.

    I did it for quite some time, running Solaris Express both before and after
    S10 FCS: using fmthard allows you to go for 16 slices on x86
    (cf. , _SUNOS_VTOC_{8, 16}). I don't need this any longer
    since I switched to ZFS for all but a dump slice and two ufs slices for
    Live Upgrade BEs, though.

    Btw., I think there's an RFE to add this capability to format.

    Rainer

    Rainer Orth, Faculty of Technology, Bielefeld University

+ Reply to Thread