Installing Solaris 10, installation program does not find my hard drive - Solaris

This is a discussion on Installing Solaris 10, installation program does not find my hard drive - Solaris ; I've been trying to install Solaris 10 on my PC for a week now, the steps I took were: -Download and burn Solaris 10 (x86) -Partition drive as follows, 200MB (boot part. FAT32), 10GB (Solaris part. tried unformated, ext 2/3, ...

  1. Installing Solaris 10, installation program does not find my hard drive

    I've been trying to install Solaris 10 on my PC for a week now, the
    steps I took were:
    -Download and burn Solaris 10 (x86)
    -Partition drive as follows, 200MB (boot part. FAT32), 10GB (Solaris
    part. tried unformated, ext 2/3, and FAT32), then my windows partition.
    -Boot from CD

    The problem I run into is, when the installation starts trying to copy
    files to my hard drive, It reports that it can not find a hard drive.
    I accidently left my USB floppy drive in once, and it started copying
    files to a floppy, but it wont detect my hard drive. I've checked
    /dev/dsk, and it only finds c0 (and c1 when the floppy drive was in),
    I've tried the format utility, and it just reports that it could not
    find any drives.

    my hard drive is:
    ST910021 A SCSI Disk Device

    Please help!!

  2. Re: Installing Solaris 10, installation program does not find my hard drive

    SamuelVange@gmail.com wrote:
    > I've been trying to install Solaris 10 on my PC for a week now, the
    > steps I took were:
    > -Download and burn Solaris 10 (x86)
    > -Partition drive as follows, 200MB (boot part. FAT32), 10GB (Solaris
    > part. tried unformated, ext 2/3, and FAT32), then my windows partition.
    > -Boot from CD
    >
    > The problem I run into is, when the installation starts trying to copy
    > files to my hard drive, It reports that it can not find a hard drive.
    > I accidently left my USB floppy drive in once, and it started copying
    > files to a floppy, but it wont detect my hard drive. I've checked
    > /dev/dsk, and it only finds c0 (and c1 when the floppy drive was in),
    > I've tried the format utility, and it just reports that it could not
    > find any drives.
    >
    > my hard drive is:
    > ST910021 A SCSI Disk Device
    >
    > Please help!!

    Could it be that your SCSI disk controller is whats not recognized.
    Does the PC has a SCSI chip on the motherboard or is it a PCI board ?
    What SCSI chipset ist it ?

    This is the list with disk controllers known to work.

    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data...lts.page1.html

    //Lars

+ Reply to Thread