First-time install of Solaris 10 x86. Any gotchas I should be aware of? - Solaris

This is a discussion on First-time install of Solaris 10 x86. Any gotchas I should be aware of? - Solaris ; I have never installed Solaris 10 x86 on an Intel box. Currently there are 3 partitions on the one hard drive in my host: Drive 0: Partn 1 = Primary: Windows XP using NTFS Partn 2 = Extended: One logical ...

  1. First-time install of Solaris 10 x86. Any gotchas I should be aware of?

    I have never installed Solaris 10 x86 on an Intel box. Currently there
    are 3 partitions on the one hard drive in my host:

    Drive 0:
    Partn 1 = Primary: Windows XP using NTFS
    Partn 2 = Extended: One logical drive using NTFS
    Partn 3 = Primary: Unused (for Solaris 10 x86)

    I plan on using Smart Bootmanager or GAG (found at sourceforge.net) as
    the boot managers as they fit entirely in the 446-byte bootstrap area of
    the MBR (first sector of the first track) and in the rest of the unused
    (hidden) first track which is never put into any partition. This makes
    the boot manager completely independent of any OS and doesn't occupy a
    partition.

    In the past, I would use Partition Manager to set each of the other
    partitions to "hidden" (which is just an attribute in the partition
    table entry so it can be ignored by an OS) and set a primary partition
    as "active" into which I was going to install the next OS (so that is
    the default primary partition that the install program would see as the
    hard drive).

    Can I get Solaris 10 x86 to install without touching any other partition
    other than the primary partition that is marked as active? Once
    installed, does it hurt to blow away the MBR's bootstrap area, which the
    Solaris install might've usurped, to use a different multiboot manager?
    Boot managers (in the MBR on the first physically detected hard drive)
    are loaded by the BIOS at the end of the POST. The standard boot
    manager normally finds the first sector of the active partition and
    loads it to load the "loader" program for the OS. This is sufficient to
    load Windows. Is it sufficient to load the partition's boot sector to
    have a loader program load that kicks off Solaris, or is something else
    required of the MBR boot manager program?

  2. Re: First-time install of Solaris 10 x86. Any gotchas I should be aware of?

    Vanguard wrote:
    > I have never installed Solaris 10 x86 on an Intel box. Currently there
    > are 3 partitions on the one hard drive in my host:
    >
    > Drive 0:
    > Partn 1 = Primary: Windows XP using NTFS
    > Partn 2 = Extended: One logical drive using NTFS
    > Partn 3 = Primary: Unused (for Solaris 10 x86)
    >
    > I plan on using Smart Bootmanager or GAG (found at sourceforge.net) as
    > the boot managers as they fit entirely in the 446-byte bootstrap area of
    > the MBR (first sector of the first track) and in the rest of the unused
    > (hidden) first track which is never put into any partition. This makes
    > the boot manager completely independent of any OS and doesn't occupy a
    > partition.
    >
    > In the past, I would use Partition Manager to set each of the other
    > partitions to "hidden" (which is just an attribute in the partition
    > table entry so it can be ignored by an OS) and set a primary partition
    > as "active" into which I was going to install the next OS (so that is
    > the default primary partition that the install program would see as the
    > hard drive).
    >
    > Can I get Solaris 10 x86 to install without touching any other partition
    > other than the primary partition that is marked as active? Once
    > installed, does it hurt to blow away the MBR's bootstrap area, which the
    > Solaris install might've usurped, to use a different multiboot manager?
    > Boot managers (in the MBR on the first physically detected hard drive)
    > are loaded by the BIOS at the end of the POST. The standard boot
    > manager normally finds the first sector of the active partition and
    > loads it to load the "loader" program for the OS. This is sufficient to
    > load Windows. Is it sufficient to load the partition's boot sector to
    > have a loader program load that kicks off Solaris, or is something else
    > required of the MBR boot manager program?

    Whyt not just get a second hard disk and enable/disable the disk you want
    to use in your BIOS? Disks are nearly free these days and dual booting =
    lots of wasted time and one/all OSes ends up losing in the end.

  3. Re: First-time install of Solaris 10 x86. Any gotchas I should beaware of?

    Vanguard wrote:
    > "Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
    >> Vanguard wrote:
    >>> I have never installed Solaris 10 x86 on an Intel box. Currently there

    ---

    >>> Can I get Solaris 10 x86 to install without touching any other partition
    >>> other than the primary partition that is marked as active? Once
    >>> installed, does it hurt to blow away the MBR's bootstrap area, which the
    >>> Solaris install might've usurped, to use a different multiboot manager?
    >>> Boot managers (in the MBR on the first physically detected hard drive)
    >>> are loaded by the BIOS at the end of the POST. The standard boot
    >>> manager normally finds the first sector of the active partition and
    >>> loads it to load the "loader" program for the OS. This is sufficient to
    >>> load Windows. Is it sufficient to load the partition's boot sector to
    >>> have a loader program load that kicks off Solaris, or is something else
    >>> required of the MBR boot manager program?

    >> Whyt not just get a second hard disk and enable/disable the disk you want
    >> to use in your BIOS? Disks are nearly free these days and dual booting =
    >> lots of wasted time and one/all OSes ends up losing in the end.

    ---
    > When Solaris 10 x86 installs, does it install ONLY within the current
    > "active" primary partition without touching any of the other partitions?
    > I've heard that users disliked the boot manager that came with Solaris
    > since it wasn't really geared to multi-booting of other operating
    > systems. I probably wouldn't want to use it, anyway, and would prefer
    > GAG or Smart BootManager (which are free and reside wholly in the first
    > hidden track that is not in any partition) but I need to know if Solaris
    > does anything more than require its loader in the first sector of its
    > partition to get loaded by the boot manager to then complete the loading
    > of Solaris.

    Solaris 10 will install on a drive that is already partitioned, and use
    only the partition you tell it to (Linux swap may cause a problem). I
    recall seeing some weird window's partitioning happening sometimes as
    well - not starting at the first free space, and identifying which
    partition what isn't alway perfect if they are the same size partitions.

    Solaris 10 does install an MBR bootloader, so you may have to reinstall
    your bootloader after installing Solaris.

    As for using a 2nd drive - hard and impractical on a laptop (most only
    have one drive), and small-form systems like Shuttle XPC systems. Most
    of the time I install on a laptop, I use 3 partitions - Windows NTFS,
    Windows FAT32, Solaris or Linux, (4th partition for linux swap if linux
    installed. The FAT32 is good for transferring/storing common files used
    in both operating systems.

    Alan

  4. Re: First-time install of Solaris 10 x86. Any gotchas I should be aware of?

    "Alan Thomas" wrote in message
    > Solaris 10 will install on a drive that is already partitioned, and
    > use only the partition you tell it to (Linux swap may cause a
    > problem). I recall seeing some weird window's partitioning happening
    > sometimes as well - not starting at the first free space, and
    > identifying which partition what isn't alway perfect if they are the
    > same size partitions.
    >
    > Solaris 10 does install an MBR bootloader, so you may have to
    > reinstall your bootloader after installing Solaris.
    >
    > As for using a 2nd drive - hard and impractical on a laptop (most only
    > have one drive), and small-form systems like Shuttle XPC systems. Most
    > of the time I install on a laptop, I use 3 partitions - Windows NTFS,
    > Windows FAT32, Solaris or Linux, (4th partition for linux swap if
    > linux installed. The FAT32 is good for transferring/storing common
    > files used in both operating systems.

    Thanks for the info. I decided to use GAG Boot Manager as its download
    is an image to create a bootable floppy used to install it into the MBR
    bootstrap and unused portion of the first track. That way, I don't need
    an OS other than what is on that floppy to repair the MBR bootstrap
    program. I had guessed that I would need to install the boot manager
    after installing Solaris. My concern was that Solaris doesn't touch any
    other partition other than where I tell it to install and that it starts
    okay just by the boot manager loading the "loader" program in its
    partition's first sector. I've done the disk image and verified backups
    so now I'll be starting the Solaris install followed by the boot manager
    install. Hope it goes well (crosses fingers, both hands).

  5. Re: First-time install of Solaris 10 x86. Any gotchas I should be aware of?

    On 2006-06-22 15:59:25 +0100, "Vanguard" said:

    > I know of grub. I'm taking the advice of other users that grub isn't
    > friendly at booting operating systems other than Solaris. Since the

    Sun's version of grub boots the copy of XP on my box quite happily. My
    /boot/grub/menu.lst has these 3 extra lines:

    ---
    title Windows XP 64
    root (hd0,1)
    chainloader +1
    ---

    The first partition on my disk is some kind of Windows rescue
    partition, the second's XP proper, and the third's Solaris.

    Cheers,

    Chris

  6. Re: First-time install of Solaris 10 x86. Any gotchas I should be aware of?

    "Chris Ridd" wrote in message
    > On 2006-06-22 15:59:25 +0100, "Vanguard"
    > said:
    >
    > Sun's version of grub boots the copy of XP on my box quite happily. My
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst has these 3 extra lines:
    >
    > ---
    > title Windows XP 64
    > root (hd0,1)
    > chainloader +1
    > ---
    >
    > The first partition on my disk is some kind of Windows rescue
    > partition, the second's XP proper, and the third's Solaris.

    I realize that grub can boot the Windows partition, but it requires that
    it reside in the Solaris partition, just like ntldr which uses boot.ini
    resides in the Windows partition (which I could then use to boot the
    Solaris partition). I wanted a boot manager that wasn't dependent on
    any OS or in a partition, so if the partition got wiped then the boot
    manager that resides wholly in the first track would survive.

    After installing Solaris 10 x86, I saw Windows listed as an entry in the
    grub boot screen. I then installed GAG Boot Manager and used it to
    select which OS to load. When I select Solaris in the GAG Boot Manager,
    I then see the grub boot menu again. I'll probably want to keep the 2
    entries for Solaris and edit the config file for grub to remove the
    entry for Windows.

  7. Re: First-time install of Solaris 10 x86. Any gotchas I should be aware of?

    Uffda. Lots of work just to get Solaris 10 x86 installed. I had created
    a 14GB FAT32 partition but Solaris wouldn't use it (nor would it let me
    delete it). So I created an unformatted 14GB partition but fdisk in the
    install still wouldn't let me use that partition (nor would it let me
    delete it). So I deleted that partition and then fdisk in the Solaris
    install would use the 14GB of free space to create a new partition.
    Argh!

    I had selected Documentation, Java Enterprise, and Companion components
    during the install because I figured the install wouldn't be showing me
    components that weren't on the CDs that were created from the download.
    Wrong. I didn't think that I wanted the Java Enterprise (but would
    eventually need the JDK). However, I did want the documentation but it
    wasn't included in the 4 downloaded CD images (and I haven't found it
    yet). I wasn't sure about the Companion and Value components. I could
    go online to the docs pages but I have no network access yet (see
    below), so I have to reboot into Windows to use the online docs.

    I first installed Solaris 10 x86 and then followed with the install of
    the GAG Boot Manager. I had tried Smart BootManager but it kept
    bitching about wanting a DPMI driver. Odd that a 16-bit 68KB program
    needs to use extended memory to get more than 640KB to run in, and I
    don't see that it needs to run in protected mode when booting using a
    DOS floppy. So I went with the GAG Boot Manager. It works just fine,
    doesn't occupy any space within any partition, can even run just from
    the floppy (copying it to the MBR bootstrap and rest of the first track
    is actually optional but I don't want to leave a floppy in the drive to
    have the boot manager). It would present me with its boot screen which
    I could then configure to add each OS partition. Windows boots up just
    fine. When I use it to boot Solaris, the remainder of grub within that
    partition kicks off and shows me its boot screen, anyway. I'll keep the
    first two entries (for normal and safe mode) and edit its config file to
    remove the Windows entry (since that will be taken care of back in GAG).
    So the scheme works.

    Alas, once Solaris is loaded and I login, there is no network access. I
    have the Abit NF7-S motherboard with onboard NIC (and nForce audio). I
    had tried the chipset driver following their navigation path but that
    gave me a Linux driver that won't work under Solaris (I get a warning
    and the .run file aborts). I was about to give up when I found a
    separate link for Solaris, got that file, ran it okay, rebooted, but
    still not network access. Apparently that Solaris driver only provides
    support for nVidia graphics. I don't have an nVidia video card (it's an
    ATI card) and the video support already included is sufficient for me
    immediate needs. Unfortunately it did not install any drivers or
    definitions for the onboard NIC so I'm still stuck with no network
    access. At this point, I'll just leave the Solaris install on my hard
    drive and use it to refamiliarize myself with the CDE desktop, practice
    some shell and Perl scripting.

    I've only been an end-user of Solaris in the past. I never had to go
    through all the hardware and software setup. Twas handy having a
    sysadmin to handle all of that. I don't like logging on under "root" so
    the first order of business is to create a user account for me.

  8. Re: First-time install of Solaris 10 x86. Any gotchas I should beaware of?

    Vanguard wrote:

    > Alas, once Solaris is loaded and I login, there is no network access. I
    > have the Abit NF7-S motherboard with onboard NIC (and nForce audio).

    Did you try the following? It's the second google hit for "Abit NF7-S network".

    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data...ails/1739.html

+ Reply to Thread