Nvidia Graphics card for Solaris 10? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Nvidia Graphics card for Solaris 10? - Solaris ; Was planning to buy a new graphics card for a home built system and I was thinking about the Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 AGP card. Earlier I've only used the VIA integrated graphics that came on the board. Anyone has ...

  1. Nvidia Graphics card for Solaris 10?

    Was planning to buy a new graphics card for a home built system
    and I was thinking about the Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 AGP card.
    Earlier I've only used the VIA integrated graphics that came on
    the board.
    Anyone has any experience in installing the drivers for that card
    or similar nvidia cards in Solaris 10? I suppose I need to download
    drivers from nvidia and switch over to the Xorg server in stead of
    Xsun. It is listed as supported both in the Solairs HCL list and in
    the "nvidia Quadro" driver readme file.
    Does the Solaris driver also support accessing the integrated
    TV encoder included on the FX 5500 card?

    Any input would be appreciated

  2. Re: Nvidia Graphics card for Solaris 10?

    Couldn't say for sure on the FX series, but I know there is an NV25 driver
    built in (autodetected for my Ti4600) as well as two other drivers for
    NVidia.

    No clue as to the video encoder, I know on many NV cards it defaults to a
    second head/output. I'm guessing you could use that, but haven't tried it
    personally.

    Good Luck
    Paul

    "KarlD" wrote in message
    news:1150490648.428106.316440@c74g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
    > Was planning to buy a new graphics card for a home built system
    > and I was thinking about the Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 AGP card.
    > Earlier I've only used the VIA integrated graphics that came on
    > the board.
    > Anyone has any experience in installing the drivers for that card
    > or similar nvidia cards in Solaris 10? I suppose I need to download
    > drivers from nvidia and switch over to the Xorg server in stead of
    > Xsun. It is listed as supported both in the Solairs HCL list and in
    > the "nvidia Quadro" driver readme file.
    > Does the Solaris driver also support accessing the integrated
    > TV encoder included on the FX 5500 card?
    >
    > Any input would be appreciated

  3. Re: Nvidia Graphics card for Solaris 10?

    KarlD wrote:
    > Was planning to buy a new graphics card for a home built system
    > and I was thinking about the Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 AGP card.
    > Earlier I've only used the VIA integrated graphics that came on
    > the board.
    > Anyone has any experience in installing the drivers for that card
    > or similar nvidia cards in Solaris 10? I suppose I need to download
    > drivers from nvidia and switch over to the Xorg server in stead of
    > Xsun. It is listed as supported both in the Solairs HCL list and in
    > the "nvidia Quadro" driver readme file.
    > Does the Solaris driver also support accessing the integrated
    > TV encoder included on the FX 5500 card?
    >
    > Any input would be appreciated

    Hi,

    I use several of the PCI version of this card. Both the dual-head
    configurations and the TV-out (S-video) work extremely well for my
    purposes.

    I just downloaded the NVIDIA driver and followed their (excellent!)
    documentation regarding how to configure things. I was shocked and
    amazed how easy it was.

    Good luck,
    Dave

  4. Re: Nvidia Graphics card for Solaris 10?

    * KarlD wrote, On 06/16/06 13:44:
    > Was planning to buy a new graphics card for a home built system
    > and I was thinking about the Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 AGP card.
    > Earlier I've only used the VIA integrated graphics that came on
    > the board.
    > Anyone has any experience in installing the drivers for that card
    > or similar nvidia cards in Solaris 10? I suppose I need to download
    > drivers from nvidia and switch over to the Xorg server in stead of
    > Xsun. It is listed as supported both in the Solairs HCL list and in
    > the "nvidia Quadro" driver readme file.
    > Does the Solaris driver also support accessing the integrated
    > TV encoder included on the FX 5500 card?

    I've got it working okay with FX 5200.

    I had issues with the last two nvidia drivers and after much heartache
    and forum posting I found a simple solution.
    If after installing the drivers and rebooting you find your system
    locking up when X tries to start add the following to the Device
    section of xorg.conf
    Option "NvAGP" "0"

    In both Linux and Solaris I had to deal with the desktop being offset to
    the left. Existing modelines are ignored.
    Nvidia doesn't provide a utility for adjusting the display and good old
    xvidtune is no longer usable (in Solaris' case trying to run it gives me
    the error message: "Please install the program before using"
    Someone will have to explain that one to me).
    Had to create a uniquely(sp?) named modeline such as 1280x1024_60_2
    based on my existing modeline for Slackware.
    Then used the same info on Solaris to center it up.

    Uddawise it all works fine now.

    Marc

  5. Re: Nvidia Graphics card for Solaris 10?

    Marc D. Williams wrote:
    > Had to create a uniquely(sp?) named modeline such as 1280x1024_60_2
    > based on my existing modeline for Slackware.
    > Then used the same info on Solaris to center it up.

    What happens if you remove all modelines and let the driver uses your
    monitor's EDID data?

    --
    Ian Collins.

  6. Re: Nvidia Graphics card for Solaris 10?

    Paul wrote:
    > Couldn't say for sure on the FX series, but I know there is an NV25 driver
    > built in (autodetected for my Ti4600) as well as two other drivers for
    > NVidia.

    Thanks for your input.
    On Sun's HCL, it says "OS Built-In Driver" on the driver name for the
    FX 5500 so maybe that means that the driver is included in later
    Solaris releases from 1/06 and gets auto-detected at installation.
    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data...ails/1387.html

    Really want to favor companies that are more open in providing drivers
    for non-MS OS. That's why I was considering Nvidia.
    Solaris 10 release 06/06 is supposed to come out very soon. Will
    probably
    wait for that and do an OS re-install before installing the card.

  7. Re: Nvidia Graphics card for Solaris 10?

    Whenever I have an issue with 'offset' display, the first thing I try is
    a different refresh rate. Better than 3/4 the time, using 75 or 80Hz
    refresh instead of 60Hz will fix things right up. You also get a wee bit
    higher 'framerate', especially on any programs that "wait for vertical
    sync", which is usually the default
    And, of course, if you have flourescent lighting, a non '60Hz*integer'
    refresh rate will tend to be easier on the eyes since it avoids
    'beat frequencies' when the screen and your flourescent are both
    refreshing at 60 Hz but slightly out of phase.
    (or worse, 180 degrees out of phase)
    If you want a better, easier to see, demonstration of this idea,
    watch any TV show where they have computer screens running in
    the picture. Unless they have genlocked the screens to the camera,
    you'll see a rather obvious 'band' scrolling (usually top to bottom)
    on the computer screens.

    Back in the dot-com days, we actually tested this out by having
    20 of our people use either 60Hz or 85Hz refresh and report
    on how they felt after 4 hours (morning till lunch, and then
    after lunch till 'official' quitting time)
    The _real_ results turned out to be that the 85Hz people usually left
    2 hours after the 60hz people. (Let us hope there aren't any 'suits' reading
    this)

    TTYL
    Paul

    "Marc D. Williams" wrote in message
    >* KarlD wrote, On 06/16/06 13:44:
    >> Was planning to buy a new graphics card for a home built system
    >> and I was thinking about the Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 AGP card.
    >> Earlier I've only used the VIA integrated graphics that came on
    >> the board.
    >> Anyone has any experience in installing the drivers for that card
    >> or similar nvidia cards in Solaris 10? I suppose I need to download
    >> drivers from nvidia and switch over to the Xorg server in stead of
    >> Xsun. It is listed as supported both in the Solairs HCL list and in
    >> the "nvidia Quadro" driver readme file.
    >> Does the Solaris driver also support accessing the integrated
    >> TV encoder included on the FX 5500 card?
    >>

    > I've got it working okay with FX 5200.
    >
    > I had issues with the last two nvidia drivers and after much heartache
    > and forum posting I found a simple solution.
    > If after installing the drivers and rebooting you find your system
    > locking up when X tries to start add the following to the Device
    > section of xorg.conf
    > Option "NvAGP" "0"
    >
    > In both Linux and Solaris I had to deal with the desktop being offset to
    > the left. Existing modelines are ignored.
    > Nvidia doesn't provide a utility for adjusting the display and good old
    > xvidtune is no longer usable (in Solaris' case trying to run it gives me
    > the error message: "Please install the program before using"
    > Someone will have to explain that one to me).
    > Had to create a uniquely(sp?) named modeline such as 1280x1024_60_2
    > based on my existing modeline for Slackware.
    > Then used the same info on Solaris to center it up.
    >
    > Uddawise it all works fine now.
    >
    > Marc

  8. Re: Nvidia Graphics card for Solaris 10?

    Paul wrote:

    Please don't top post...

    > Whenever I have an issue with 'offset' display, the first thing I try is
    > a different refresh rate. Better than 3/4 the time, using 75 or 80Hz
    > refresh instead of 60Hz will fix things right up.

    The current nVidia driver should be able to detect the optimum settings
    for your monitor without falling back to a modeline entry. Assuming
    your monitor is able to provide the EDID data.

    All I have in my xorg.conf is the required resolution and colour depth.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  9. Re: Nvidia Graphics card for Solaris 10?

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > The current nVidia driver should be able to detect the optimum settings
    > for your monitor without falling back to a modeline entry. Assuming
    > your monitor is able to provide the EDID data.

    Does anybody have any clue as to why the nvidia latest driver hangs my Sol10
    system (with GeForce4 420 Go hardware) on reboot? Google tells me that a
    few other people have the same problem but none of the suggested fixes work.

    The nv driver works fine, but I need OpenGL.

  10. Re: Nvidia Graphics card for Solaris 10?

    * Ian Collins wrote, On 06/16/06 21:36:
    > Marc D. Williams wrote:
    >> Had to create a uniquely(sp?) named modeline such as 1280x1024_60_2
    >> based on my existing modeline for Slackware.
    >> Then used the same info on Solaris to center it up.
    >>

    > What happens if you remove all modelines and let the driver uses your
    > monitor's EDID data?

    Sorry for the late reply. Been fighting with putting on OS (any) on an
    old Dell Inspiron.

    In Solaris' case I didn't have any existing modelines. The nv driver
    centered things up pretty well.
    In the other post Paul mentioned the refresh rate thing but for me
    that wouldn't work as I'm driving my 17" CRT at the stated max
    of 1280x1024, 60Hz. The monitor is starting to flake on me anyway so
    I don't want to mess with any other settings before I can afford
    a new one. :-)

    Marc

  11. Re: Nvidia Graphics card for Solaris 10?

    Thanks for all the information,
    just wanted to give an update on my nvidia graphics card
    installation and Solaris 10 x86 06/06.
    Graphics card: GeForceFX 5500, AGP 8X/256 MB
    System: Home assembled Athlon XP (32-bit), FoxConn 400M01
    motherboard with VIA VT8235/VT8237 Chipset

    I did a new OS install and found that the GUI installer for
    Solaris 10 seems to use Xsun whereas the installation only
    provides Xorg. The included 'nv' driver was auto-selected and
    worked under Xsun installation but after completed installation
    and reboot using Xorg I got an image offset problem where the
    image was shifted to the right with 30% of the screen area from
    the left black although I could still use the screen.

    There was no xorg.conf file created so I suppose xorg uses all
    auto-detected data and default options. I'm using a 17" flat lcd
    monitor capable of 1280x1024 resolution, 75 Hz V-Freq.

    Didn't bother to investigate the nv X settings further but went
    into installing the latest Nvidia driver from nvidia.com
    Downloading the NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-1.0-8762.run driver
    and following the README instructions worked fine.

    # sh NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-1.0-8762.run

    Notice that no xorg.conf file was generated at this
    time. After running the xconfig utility included in
    the Nvidia driver I finally got an xorg.conf file created.

    # ./nvidia-xconfig
    # reboot -- -r

    Everything worked fine with no screen offset problem and the
    resolution was correctly detected and set to 1280x1024.
    I did not see any warning or error messages in the xorg
    log file.

    If you don't have an xorg.conf and the monitor is powered off
    at reboot I wonder what mode will be used when you later
    switch on the monitor. Maybe safer to have a real xorg.conf file.
    The xorg.conf file generated looked very different from the one
    created under Linux by the Nvidia xconfig utility on the same
    system a couple of days earlier.

    Part of Solaris xorg.conf:
    :
    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Unknown"
    ModelName "Unknown"
    HorizSync 30.0 - 110.0
    VertRefresh 50.0 - 150.0
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Device0"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Device0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
    "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection
    ============================

    Another thing about the installation was that there was
    no driver for my ethernet LAN (VT6103 Rhine II built-in)
    included in Solaris 10 so at first I was out of network
    connection. Had to search in Google for drivers and found
    the 'vfe' driver at http://homepage2.nifty.com/mrym3/taiyodo/eng
    which worked fine. Last time I installed Solaris 10 x86 on another
    system I was also out of network driver, that time I had a
    Linksys LNE100TX PCI network card and had to download the afe
    driver. I also had to manually configure DHCP in both cases.

    I'm aware of that I'm using a lot of non-standard components
    and home assembled systems but I think something that should
    be improved in Solaris is the support of more network drivers
    to gain a wider popularity as a desktop/workstation OS.
    At least it should have enough network drivers to make
    most system run at first install under DHCP. In all Linux
    installations I've done on the same systems, the network drivers
    were always included and the network was up immediately after
    installation. The external Solaris network drivers I've used
    are all open source so I don't think it would be that hard,
    from the licensing view, to include them in the OS distribution.

    /Karl

  12. Re: Nvidia Graphics card for Solaris 10?

    Marc D. Williams wrote:

    > I had issues with the last two nvidia drivers and after much heartache
    > and forum posting I found a simple solution.
    > :
    > In both Linux and Solaris I had to deal with the desktop being offset to
    > the left. Existing modelines are ignored.

    I believe I had a similar desktop screen offset problem with my
    FX 5500 using the default 'nv' driver included in Solaris but it went
    away after installing the latest nvidia driver from nvidia.com (See
    my post below)

    /Karl

+ Reply to Thread