Using update_drv with jumpstart server? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Using update_drv with jumpstart server? - Solaris ; Got a new set of servers in, with have a slightly newer flavour of Intel gig ethernet. I found on sunsolve how to enable these nics using: # update_drv -a -i '"pci8086,108c"' e1000g # ifconfig e1000g0 plumb and that does ...

  1. Using update_drv with jumpstart server?

    Got a new set of servers in, with have a slightly newer flavour of
    Intel gig ethernet. I found on sunsolve how to enable these nics using:

    # update_drv -a -i '"pci8086,108c"' e1000g
    # ifconfig e1000g0 plumb

    and that does work nicely.

    Then I moved to fix the jumpstart server to apply this correctly, the
    jumpstart x86.miniroot itself was actually easy. gunzip, lofiadm,
    modify /etc/driver_aliases, and rebuild it.

    The I modified "postinst" script with jumpstart server to append the
    same additional line to
    /a/etc/driver_aliases, but I find that this fails after reboot. It can
    not plumb e1000g0 in network/physical.

    If I run the update_drv command (after taking out my driver_aliases
    entry, since otherwise it just points out I already have it) it does
    work, so clearly update_drv does more than just append to this file.
    (truss confirms this).

    I have attempted to run "chroot /a update_drv" from postinst, but I was
    unable to solve this. (modctl unable to set major number..)

    I have attempted to create a /etc/rcS.d/S10nic hoping it would be
    executed before svcs run network-physical, but it is not.

    What would be the proper way to solve this? I mean, I could add S10nic
    to update_drv and force reboot, then the NEXT time it'll be ok, but
    that feels a little cheesey.

    I could modify network-physical script itself.. but perhaps there is a
    cleaner way?

  2. Re: Using update_drv with jumpstart server?

    Ok this one was amusing.

    Long time back, we added a line to "postinst" to eject the cdrom, so
    that the machine can do the first reboot unsupervised. (and not boot
    the jumpstart CD again).

    The new machines use sata.

    So the eject -f /dev/dsk/c*2 is a bit over-zealous. This would eject
    the SATA /a mount as well, so the "last bits not quite yet saved" to
    HDD would be lost. Which included my line addition to driver_aliases.

+ Reply to Thread