Properly cooling a W2100z... - Solaris

This is a discussion on Properly cooling a W2100z... - Solaris ; (previously posted to comp.sys.sun.hardware, greeted with crickets...sorry if you've seen this posting before.) Hi all, Does anyone know how to properly cool a W2100z, preferably without any maelstrom sound effects? Each BIOS rev seems to make more noise, but not ...

  1. Properly cooling a W2100z...

    (previously posted to comp.sys.sun.hardware, greeted with
    crickets...sorry if you've seen this posting before.)

    Hi all,

    Does anyone know how to properly cool a W2100z, preferably without
    any maelstrom sound effects? Each BIOS rev seems to make more
    noise, but not actually keep the system cooler. Has anyone tried
    different CPU fans or a different case fan?

    I've tried the auto+(aggressive, normal) BIOS settings as well as
    the "four-step". There seems to be absolutely no difference in how
    the fans are handled among any of these options.

    I've installed the latest BIOS (B5S0) and all I've noticed is more
    noise, not a cooler system (according to the BIOS temp
    measurements). The system is very lightly loaded in a very cool
    home and yet the temps are still in the high 40's (Celsius). The
    second processor sits around 50 degrees - totally unacceptable.

    Has anyone tried a 120mm Sharkoon Silent Eagle for a case fan? Any
    observations on long-term reliability?

    Thanks,
    Dave

  2. Re: Properly cooling a W2100z...

    Dave Littell wrote:
    > (previously posted to comp.sys.sun.hardware, greeted with
    > crickets...sorry if you've seen this posting before.)
    >
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Does anyone know how to properly cool a W2100z, preferably without
    > any maelstrom sound effects? Each BIOS rev seems to make more
    > noise, but not actually keep the system cooler. Has anyone tried
    > different CPU fans or a different case fan?
    >
    > I've tried the auto+(aggressive, normal) BIOS settings as well as
    > the "four-step". There seems to be absolutely no difference in how
    > the fans are handled among any of these options.
    >
    > I've installed the latest BIOS (B5S0) and all I've noticed is more
    > noise, not a cooler system (according to the BIOS temp
    > measurements). The system is very lightly loaded in a very cool
    > home and yet the temps are still in the high 40's (Celsius). The
    > second processor sits around 50 degrees - totally unacceptable.
    >
    > Has anyone tried a 120mm Sharkoon Silent Eagle for a case fan? Any
    > observations on long-term reliability?
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Dave

    The Opterons generate quite a lot heat and the heatsinks included in
    W2100z aren't that good. Unfortunately I didn't find any branded
    heatsink that's compatible with the socket board in W2100z.
    Therefore, in order to dispel the heat effectively, you need a powerful
    120mm fan, which means noise.

    If you think it's loud now, you haven't experienced the first revision
    of BIOS, which drove me nuts. I wasted a lot of time trying to improve
    the situation (Oct.2004):
    http://www.pbase.com/taochen/w2100z&page=all

    Good thing you run in it in a air-conditioned room. 40-50 Celsius
    degree of CPU temperature sounds fine to me.

    Tao

  3. Re: Properly cooling a W2100z...

    Dave Littell wrote:
    > (previously posted to comp.sys.sun.hardware, greeted with
    > crickets...sorry if you've seen this posting before.)
    >
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Does anyone know how to properly cool a W2100z, preferably without any
    > maelstrom sound effects? Each BIOS rev seems to make more noise, but
    > not actually keep the system cooler. Has anyone tried different CPU
    > fans or a different case fan?
    >
    > I've tried the auto+(aggressive, normal) BIOS settings as well as the
    > "four-step". There seems to be absolutely no difference in how the fans
    > are handled among any of these options.
    >
    > I've installed the latest BIOS (B5S0) and all I've noticed is more
    > noise, not a cooler system (according to the BIOS temp measurements).
    > The system is very lightly loaded in a very cool home and yet the temps
    > are still in the high 40's (Celsius). The second processor sits around
    > 50 degrees - totally unacceptable.

    There's probably nothing wrong with 50C.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  4. Re: Properly cooling a W2100z...

    On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 11:07:44 GMT, Dave Littell
    wrote:

    >(previously posted to comp.sys.sun.hardware, greeted with
    >crickets...sorry if you've seen this posting before.)
    >
    >Hi all,
    >
    >Does anyone know how to properly cool a W2100z, preferably without
    >any maelstrom sound effects? Each BIOS rev seems to make more
    >noise, but not actually keep the system cooler. Has anyone tried
    >different CPU fans or a different case fan?
    >
    >I've tried the auto+(aggressive, normal) BIOS settings as well as
    >the "four-step". There seems to be absolutely no difference in how
    >the fans are handled among any of these options.

    How old is your 'Z? I received a W1100Z back in mid-05 that sounded
    like it was ready for take-off. From my notes back then:

    use latest BIOS, set to cooling to "normal" not "aggressive"
    replace CPU and chassis fans (Sun FRU #s):
    CPU: F310-0020 (?)
    Chassis: F370-7716

    These were warranty replacements from Sun.

    The fan swap made a big difference. IIRC you couldn't put in just any
    properly-sized quiet fan because the BIOS fan speed detection would
    trip and shut down the machine if the officially sanctioned fan wasn't
    used.

    I see that you have already gone the BIOS route. Perhaps the chassis
    and CPU fans described above would fit your W2100Z. If your box is
    new enough you may already have the "quiet" fans installed

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  5. Re: Properly cooling a W2100z...

    Tao Chen wrote:

    > The Opterons generate quite a lot heat and the heatsinks included in
    > W2100z aren't that good. Unfortunately I didn't find any branded
    > heatsink that's compatible with the socket board in W2100z.
    > Therefore, in order to dispel the heat effectively, you need a powerful
    > 120mm fan, which means noise.

    Yeah, that was part of the motivation in asking about the Sharkoon
    Silent Eagle fans.

    > If you think it's loud now, you haven't experienced the first revision
    > of BIOS, which drove me nuts. I wasted a lot of time trying to improve
    > the situation (Oct.2004):
    > http://www.pbase.com/taochen/w2100z&page=all

    It looks like your "cooling towers" are arranged differently than
    mine - my fans are on top. Did you try different (quieter) CPU fans?

    > Good thing you run in it in a air-conditioned room. 40-50 Celsius
    > degree of CPU temperature sounds fine to me.

    Here's the weird part: My V40z's and V20z's seem to run much cooler,
    even with their (much more) restricted mechanical arrangements.

    Thanks,
    Dave

  6. Re: Properly cooling a W2100z...

    Bill Waddington wrote:

    > How old is your 'Z? I received a W1100Z back in mid-05 that sounded
    > like it was ready for take-off. From my notes back then:
    >
    > use latest BIOS, set to cooling to "normal" not "aggressive"

    Interesting - did you ever notice the aggressive setting doing
    anything differently than the normal setting?

    > replace CPU and chassis fans (Sun FRU #s):
    > CPU: F310-0020 (?)
    > Chassis: F370-7716
    >
    > These were warranty replacements from Sun.

    Mine is from March 2005 - one of the very last eBay machines. The
    machine ultimately faulted on the case fan - a BIOS upgrade and a
    new fan later, things were OK. At least until the BIOS starting
    flagging 3.3V AUX over-voltage events. Sun replaced the power
    supply (now I'm glad I went through the Gauntlet of Agony to buy
    support from Sun!) along with a BIOS upgrade and I'm back to the
    maelstrom, but the processors are no cooler.

    > The fan swap made a big difference. IIRC you couldn't put in just any
    > properly-sized quiet fan because the BIOS fan speed detection would
    > trip and shut down the machine if the officially sanctioned fan wasn't
    > used.
    >
    > I see that you have already gone the BIOS route. Perhaps the chassis
    > and CPU fans described above would fit your W2100Z. If your box is
    > new enough you may already have the "quiet" fans installed

    It looks like the newest BIOS (B5S0, I think) has options to disable
    the shutdown if a fan stops. This may allow me to replace all the
    fans with quieter fans that run flat-out. Hence the Sharkoon
    question... ;-)

    Thanks,
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread