compiling gcc 4.1 on solaris - Solaris

This is a discussion on compiling gcc 4.1 on solaris - Solaris ; Hello, I'm trying to compile gcc 4.1 on solaris 10 x86. I could not succeed yet (missing ar or nm or ....), i tried to include /usr/sfw/bin (gcc 3.4 there) or /opt/csw/gcc4/bin but no luck, I have binutils 2.16.1 installed ...

  1. compiling gcc 4.1 on solaris

    Hello,

    I'm trying to compile gcc 4.1 on solaris 10 x86. I could not succeed yet
    (missing ar or nm or ....), i tried to include /usr/sfw/bin (gcc 3.4 there)
    or /opt/csw/gcc4/bin but no luck, I have binutils 2.16.1 installed
    the configure scripts works, i've used CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash, the gmake
    works for most directories but fails with "no rule to build 'nm' for
    '.../bin/nm'" (with somehintg about stamp-nm)

    i'd like to build for c/c++ (primarily for x86 but cross compiling to sparc
    would be cool

    is there any 'good' combination of tools or commands?

    Please help,
    Regards
    Armel

  2. Re: compiling gcc 4.1 on solaris

    On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 18:15:07 +0200, "Armel Asselin"
    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I'm trying to compile gcc 4.1 on solaris 10 x86. I could not succeed yet
    >(missing ar or nm or ....), i tried to include /usr/sfw/bin (gcc 3.4 there)
    >or /opt/csw/gcc4/bin but no luck, I have binutils 2.16.1 installed
    >the configure scripts works, i've used CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash, the gmake
    >works for most directories but fails with "no rule to build 'nm' for
    >'.../bin/nm'" (with somehintg about stamp-nm)
    >
    >i'd like to build for c/c++ (primarily for x86 but cross compiling to sparc
    >would be cool
    >
    >is there any 'good' combination of tools or commands?
    >
    >Please help,
    >Regards
    >Armel

    Hi

    old thing ..
    use /usr/ccs/bin
    ld,ar, etc for building , put first in $PATH maybe even --configure
    options with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld , with-ar=/usr/ccs/bin/ar
    That should do it

  3. Re: compiling gcc 4.1 on solaris

    On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, Armel Asselin wrote:

    > I'm trying to compile gcc 4.1 on solaris 10 x86. I could not succeed yet
    > (missing ar or nm or ....), i tried to include /usr/sfw/bin (gcc 3.4 there)
    > or /opt/csw/gcc4/bin but no luck, I have binutils 2.16.1 installed
    > the configure scripts works, i've used CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash, the gmake
    > works for most directories but fails with "no rule to build 'nm' for
    > '.../bin/nm'" (with somehintg about stamp-nm)

    Make sure you have /usr/ccs/bin in your PATH.

    But I recommend installing Sun's free compiler tools, Studio 11. It comes
    with powerful tools, and tends to produce better code than gcc.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  4. Re: compiling gcc 4.1 on solaris

    > old thing ..
    > use /usr/ccs/bin
    > ld,ar, etc for building , put first in $PATH maybe even --configure
    > options with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld , with-ar=/usr/ccs/bin/ar
    > That should do it

    thank you, I added the paths to my old gcc directories and that's OK
    just the end fails, the scripts are searching for .hpp files for the
    includes in the directories include/ext/... of libstdc++-v3 rather than the
    ..h that I have any idea?

    Armel

  5. Re: compiling gcc 4.1 on solaris

    On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 22:26:49 +0200, "Armel Asselin"
    wrote:

    >> old thing ..
    >> use /usr/ccs/bin
    >> ld,ar, etc for building , put first in $PATH maybe even --configure
    >> options with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld , with-ar=/usr/ccs/bin/ar
    >> That should do it

    >thank you, I added the paths to my old gcc directories and that's OK
    >just the end fails, the scripts are searching for .hpp files for the
    >includes in the directories include/ext/... of libstdc++-v3 rather than the
    >.h that I have any idea?
    >
    >Armel

    Hi
    actually no real, it used to fail some Java part , can be still it
    guess.
    but check successfull builds page from gcc web (some hints for build)
    " http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.1/buildstat.html "
    and maybe docs section form
    " http://gcc.gnu.org/ "

    Just interesting to see that there is only "Solaris" builds reported ,
    where is all GNU os's :-D

  6. Re: compiling gcc 4.1 on solaris

    aaarrggghhh,

    i think that I found : the base 'tar' of Sun Solaris 10 has truncated the
    names of all the path which it found to be too long, the .h files names just
    where truncated randomly 2 characters before .hpp end... some others
    includes are truncated in the middle of the name :-(
    it could have warned me... let's go with a gnu tar, or maybe there is an
    internal limit to Solaris itself ? or the file system (UFS)? the truncated
    paths are:

    /home/armel/gcc-4.1.1/libstdc++-v3/include/ext/pb_assoc/detail/basic_assoc_cntnr/constructors_destructor_fn_imps
    (113 characters long)
    the path had .hpp in addition...
    without /home/armel the path is 101 characters long... let's search...

    Armel

  7. Re: compiling gcc 4.1 on solaris

    > /home/armel/gcc-4.1.1/libstdc++-v3/include/ext/pb_assoc/detail/basic_assoc_cntnr/constructors_destructor_fn_imps
    > (113 characters long)
    > the path had .hpp in addition...
    > without /home/armel the path is 101 characters long... let's search...

    that's it, all the trashed file names are preceded by a ././@LongLink
    entry... i suppose that solaris tar does not know what to do of that.

    the 'prerequisites' page was a bit 'evasive' on the subject
    so it's said: solaris tar is BAD to untar gcc4-g++-4.1.1 archive

    Armel

+ Reply to Thread