Complete backup - Solaris

This is a discussion on Complete backup - Solaris ; First, no offense to Solaris x86 users. I think Solaris is a fine but... I am much more experienced with Linix Slackware. I went to Solaris 10 because I was having trouble install Slack on my Dell sever with Xeon ...

  1. Complete backup

    First, no offense to Solaris x86 users. I think Solaris is a fine
    but...

    I am much more experienced with Linix Slackware. I went to Solaris 10
    because I was having trouble install Slack on my Dell sever with Xeon
    processor.

    The install of Solaris went without a hitch but I have run into two
    major issues which because I am not expeienced with Solaris would take
    me countless hours to remidy.

    1. Configuring and compiling the connector between Apache & Tomcat
    2. Installing the connector between Tomcat & MySQL

    Neither of the above have been a problem for me with Slackware.

    Having said all that, I want to try installing Slack again, however, I
    want to back up Solaris and everything I've install on the machine
    thus far in case I have to go back to Solaris.

    Is there a way of doing this? I don't have a tape drive, I'm hoping I
    can transfer everything to another drive on the network.

  2. Re: Complete backup

    > 1. Configuring and compiling the connector between Apache & Tomcat
    > 2. Installing the connector between Tomcat & MySQL
    >
    > Neither of the above have been a problem for me with Slackware.

    Then just repeat the process. There is no difference between Linux & Solaris on
    this part since they're both utilizing Apache and Tomcat.

    > Having said all that, I want to try installing Slack again, however, I
    > want to back up Solaris and everything I've install on the machine
    > thus far in case I have to go back to Solaris.

    Look into "ufsdump", depending on the filesystem you've used.

    --
    Groetjes, Peter

    ..\\ PGP/GPG key: http://www.catslair.org/pubkey.asc

  3. Re: Complete backup

    You can also use flar create to create a flash archive which you could burn
    to a CD for reinstalling later.

    "Lion-O" wrote in message
    >> 1. Configuring and compiling the connector between Apache & Tomcat
    >> 2. Installing the connector between Tomcat & MySQL
    >>
    >> Neither of the above have been a problem for me with Slackware.

    > Then just repeat the process. There is no difference between Linux &
    > Solaris on
    > this part since they're both utilizing Apache and Tomcat.
    >
    >> Having said all that, I want to try installing Slack again, however, I
    >> want to back up Solaris and everything I've install on the machine
    >> thus far in case I have to go back to Solaris.

    > Look into "ufsdump", depending on the filesystem you've used.
    >
    > --
    > Groetjes, Peter
    >
    > .\\ PGP/GPG key: http://www.catslair.org/pubkey.asc

  4. Re: Complete backup

    On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 17:34:24 GMT, mike@nospam.com (Mike) wrote:

    >First, no offense to Solaris x86 users. I think Solaris is a fine
    >but...
    >
    >I am much more experienced with Linix Slackware. I went to Solaris 10
    >because I was having trouble install Slack on my Dell sever with Xeon
    >processor.
    >
    >The install of Solaris went without a hitch but I have run into two
    >major issues which because I am not expeienced with Solaris would take
    >me countless hours to remidy.
    >
    >1. Configuring and compiling the connector between Apache & Tomcat
    >2. Installing the connector between Tomcat & MySQL
    >
    >Neither of the above have been a problem for me with Slackware.
    >
    >Having said all that, I want to try installing Slack again, however, I
    >want to back up Solaris and everything I've install on the machine
    >thus far in case I have to go back to Solaris.
    >
    >Is there a way of doing this? I don't have a tape drive, I'm hoping I
    >can transfer everything to another drive on the network.

    If backup need is only files you need to recover, why not use old and
    "good" tar
    tar as root with preserve attributes like permissions ,etc..

    example tar /etc , /usr , /

    then recovery is just fresh install and untar as root with preserve
    attr's needed files from archives

    Just note : there is issue with gtar and solaris tar , readed
    something that gnu tar is not able to create posix compliant archives
    so moving files between Linux<>Solaris can have some problems.
    but install gnu tar from sunfreeware.com then this should work ok.

+ Reply to Thread