Configuration of Solaris - Solaris

This is a discussion on Configuration of Solaris - Solaris ; Hi! I need to get some information about configuring Solaris OS, like: setting IP address, DNS, adding new hard drives, adding patches, security, etc... and all this from console. I was looking for this, but couldnt find _simple_ guide how ...

  1. Configuration of Solaris

    Hi!

    I need to get some information about configuring Solaris OS, like: setting
    IP address, DNS, adding new hard drives, adding patches, security, etc...
    and all this from console. I was looking for this, but couldnt find _simple_
    guide how to do this.

    Thx!
    FrOG

  2. Re: Configuration of Solaris

    On Tue, 6 Jun 2006, FrOG wrote:

    > I need to get some information about configuring Solaris OS, like: setting IP
    > address, DNS, adding new hard drives, adding patches, security, etc... and all
    > this from console. I was looking for this, but couldnt find _simple_ guide how
    > to do this.

    The Admin guides on docs.sun.com should help.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  3. Re: Configuration of Solaris

    On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 20:40:29 +0000, Rich Teer wrote:

    > On Tue, 6 Jun 2006, FrOG wrote:
    >
    >> I need to get some information about configuring Solaris OS, like: setting IP
    >> address, DNS, adding new hard drives, adding patches, security, etc... and all
    >> this from console. I was looking for this, but couldnt find _simple_ guide how
    >> to do this.

    > The Admin guides on docs.sun.com should help.

    Yeah, but they are not *simple* enough for some people :-)

  4. Re: Configuration of Solaris

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 20:40:29 +0000, Rich Teer wrote:
    >

    >>On Tue, 6 Jun 2006, FrOG wrote:
    >>

    >>>I need to get some information about configuring Solaris OS, like: setting IP
    >>>address, DNS, adding new hard drives, adding patches, security, etc... and all
    >>>this from console. I was looking for this, but couldnt find _simple_ guide how
    >>>to do this.

    >>The Admin guides on docs.sun.com should help.

    > Yeah, but they are not *simple* enough for some people :-)

    A smart@$$ might reply: It's UNIX, deal.

    But since it's Friday, here are a few of starting points:

    Network interfaces:

    ifconfig

    /etc/hostname. files set the addresses of interfaces active
    on startup

    /etc/netmasks associates networks with their netmasks

    /etc/defaultrouter - self explanitory

    /etc/hosts - hostname to IP address mappings referenced in
    /etc/hostname.* and /etc/defaultrouter files

    DNS:

    /etc/nsswitch.conf configures name services, for DNS, add dns to the END
    hosts line.

    /etc/resolv.conf is the resolver configuration file.

    New disks:

    In Solaris it will be necessary to understand slices vs. partitions.
    Definately spend a little bit of time in the docs.

    smc is helpful, or you can do it the old fashioned way with
    format,fdisk, and mkfs.

    reboot -- -r will restart the system and pass -r to the kernel to force
    a reconfiguration of the hardware.

    Patches:
    Manual installation: patchadd

    If you're running a GA release of Solaris, not Solaris Express or
    OpenSolaris, then there's a GUI tool to manage updates. Go to Launch >
    Applications > Utilities > Update Manager. (This tool exists on SE, but
    there are no public patches maintained for SE releases to my knowledge.)

    From the console the smpatch facility is your friend.

    Security:

    JASS: Jumpstart Architecture and Security Scripts AKA: Solaris
    Security Toolkit

    http://www.sun.com/software/security/jass/

    ipfilter is the native Solaris 10 firewall/NAT. It's a vary mature
    open-source firewall. the config files live in /etc/ipf. be sure your
    interface is in pfil.ap. There are dozens of FAQs on it. Google away.
    also: http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816...aoq024h?a=view

    For what it's worth, the tasks in the sun docs are pretty
    straightforward. Solaris isn't for everyone. It has spent most of its
    life on big-iron UltraSPARC hardware in datacenters. Its administration
    features are designed for people who already know their way around UNIX.

    Best of luck,

    JB

  5. Re: Configuration of Solaris

    On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 14:27:57 -0400, John R. Bennett wrote:

    > Dave Uhring wrote:

    >>>The Admin guides on docs.sun.com should help.

    >> Yeah, but they are not *simple* enough for some people :-)
    >>

    > A smart@$$ might reply: It's UNIX, deal.
    >
    > But since it's Friday, here are a few of starting points:
    >
    > Network interfaces:

    [ ... ]

    All of which can be accomplished with sys-unconfig(1M). BTW you forgot
    /etc/inet/ipnodes.

    > New disks:
    >
    > In Solaris it will be necessary to understand slices vs. partitions.
    > Definately spend a little bit of time in the docs.
    >
    > smc is helpful, or you can do it the old fashioned way with
    > format,fdisk, and mkfs.

    If on SPARC, fdisk is not used.

    > reboot -- -r will restart the system and pass -r to the kernel to force
    > a reconfiguration of the hardware.

    devfsadm(1M) will accomplish the same thing without a reboot.

    [ ... ]

    > For what it's worth, the tasks in the sun docs are pretty
    > straightforward. Solaris isn't for everyone. It has spent most of its
    > life on big-iron UltraSPARC hardware in datacenters. Its administration
    > features are designed for people who already know their way around UNIX.

    Indeed.

+ Reply to Thread