display too narrow - Solaris

This is a discussion on display too narrow - Solaris ; I have a Envision monitor (17") and a Diamond Viper v550 card. The card has the NVidea Rova TNT 16mb chipset. The system recognizes the carda nd the monitor, but when I use it it leave about 1'2" on each ...

  1. display too narrow

    I have a Envision monitor (17") and a Diamond Viper v550 card. The card
    has the NVidea Rova TNT 16mb chipset. The system recognizes the carda nd
    the monitor, but when I use it it leave about 1'2" on each side of the
    display blank. The display is also a few mm sort on the vertical
    dimension. The system has a full screen under XP, so I know that the
    hardware works. I have set the size in the xorg.conf file (32 x 24 mm)
    with no change to the display.

    Any suggestions as to how to get a full screen?

    Thanks,
    Gary Meerschaert

  2. Re: display too narrow

    Gary Meerschaert wrote:
    > I have a Envision monitor (17") and a Diamond Viper v550 card. The card
    > has the NVidea Rova TNT 16mb chipset. The system recognizes the carda nd
    > the monitor, but when I use it it leave about 1'2" on each side of the
    > display blank. The display is also a few mm sort on the vertical
    > dimension. The system has a full screen under XP, so I know that the
    > hardware works. I have set the size in the xorg.conf file (32 x 24 mm)
    > with no change to the display.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to how to get a full screen?

    try a lower refresh rate, like 60Hz

    > Thanks,
    > Gary Meerschaert

  3. Re: display too narrow

    Gary Meerschaert wrote:
    > I have a Envision monitor (17") and a Diamond Viper v550 card. The card
    > has the NVidea Rova TNT 16mb chipset. The system recognizes the carda nd
    > the monitor, but when I use it it leave about 1'2" on each side of the
    > display blank. The display is also a few mm sort on the vertical
    > dimension. The system has a full screen under XP, so I know that the
    > hardware works. I have set the size in the xorg.conf file (32 x 24 mm)
    > with no change to the display.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to how to get a full screen?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Gary Meerschaert

    Hi Gary,

    I have a few questions:

    0) What version/release of Solaris are you running?
    1) Are you running Xorg or Xsun?
    2) Is it that there is a section of the desktop that you can't see, or
    can you see the whole thing but there's just blank space at the edge of
    the display?

    John Bennett

  4. Re: display too narrow

    John R. Bennett wrote:
    > Gary Meerschaert wrote:
    >> I have a Envision monitor (17") and a Diamond Viper v550 card. The
    >> card has the NVidea Rova TNT 16mb chipset. The system recognizes the
    >> carda nd the monitor, but when I use it it leave about 1'2" on each
    >> side of the display blank. The display is also a few mm sort on the
    >> vertical dimension. The system has a full screen under XP, so I know
    >> that the hardware works. I have set the size in the xorg.conf file (32
    >> x 24 mm) with no change to the display.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions as to how to get a full screen?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Gary Meerschaert

    > Hi Gary,
    >
    > I have a few questions:
    >
    > 0) What version/release of Solaris are you running?
    > 1) Are you running Xorg or Xsun?
    > 2) Is it that there is a section of the desktop that you can't see, or
    > can you see the whole thing but there's just blank space at the edge of
    > the display?
    >
    > John Bennett

    0) Solaris 10. Uname -a reports 5.10 Generic_118844-26
    1) I have tried them both with the same results
    2) Blank space at the edges

    Gary Meerschaert

+ Reply to Thread