How to mount a Solaris 10 x86 partition on linux - Solaris

This is a discussion on How to mount a Solaris 10 x86 partition on linux - Solaris ; Hi, I have tried to mount the root filesystem of a Solaris 10 partition, but I has not worked Here is what I have done: linux:/home/foo # mount -r -t ufs -o ufstype=sunx86 /dev/hda1 /mnt mount: wrong fs type, bad ...

  1. How to mount a Solaris 10 x86 partition on linux

    Hi,
    I have tried to mount the root filesystem of a Solaris 10 partition, but
    I has not worked Here is what I have done:

    linux:/home/foo # mount -r -t ufs -o ufstype=sunx86 /dev/hda1 /mnt
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
    missing codepage or other error
    dmesg | tail or so

    linux:/home/foo # dmesg | tail
    SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=vmnet8 OUT= MAC= SRC=192.168.41.1
    DST=224.0.0.251 LEN=106 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP
    SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=86
    SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=vmnet1 OUT= MAC= SRC=172.16.228.1
    DST=224.0.0.251 LEN=106 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP
    SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=86
    You didn't specify the type of your ufs filesystem

    mount -t ufs -o
    ufstype=sun|sunx86|44bsd|ufs2|5xbsd|old|hp|nextste p|netxstep-cd|openstep ...

    >>>WARNING<<< Wrong ufstype may corrupt your filesystem, default is

    ufstype=old
    ufs_read_super: bad magic number
    ufs_read_super: bad magic number
    ufs_read_super: bad magic number

    Thanks,

    Pedro

  2. Re: How to mount a Solaris 10 x86 partition on linux

    Pedro Santos wrote:

    > linux:/home/foo # mount -r -t ufs -o ufstype=sunx86 /dev/hda1 /mnt
    > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
    > missing codepage or other error
    > In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
    > dmesg | tail or so

    it could be that /dev/hda1 might not be the actual partiiton containing
    your solaris filesystem. try

    #dmesg | grep -i 'solaris'

    of just try

    #dmesg|less

    and look for a line where the partitions are listed. may look something
    like

    hdc: hdc1 hdc2 hdc3 hdc4 < hdc5 >

    note the above doesnt list a solaris paritition. solaris slices are
    listed between angle brackets and the word solaris will be present. try
    using one of those device names while mounting. The first one should be
    the slice containing /

    HTH
    -rishad

  3. Re: How to mount a Solaris 10 x86 partition on linux

    rishad schrieb:

    > it could be that /dev/hda1 might not be the actual partiiton containing
    > your solaris filesystem. try

    It should be /dev/hda1 I have verified it with fdisk:

    Platte /dev/hda: 40.0 GByte, 40020664320 Byte
    255 Köpfe, 63 Sektoren/Spuren, 4865 Zylinder
    Einheiten = Zylinder von 16065 × 512 = 8225280 Bytes

    Gerät boot. Anfang Ende Blöcke Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1435 2219 6297984 bf Solaris
    /dev/hda2 129 1434 10490445 83 Linux
    /dev/hda3 1 128 1028128+ 82 Linux Swap / Solaris

    My kernel is compiled with read-only ufs support, but maybe the ufs
    filesystem of Solaris 10 is not supported by my kernel
    (vmlinux-2.6.13-15.10-smp)?

    Pedro

  4. Re: How to mount a Solaris 10 x86 partition on linux

    On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 18:01:27 +0200, Pedro Santos wrote:

    > It should be /dev/hda1 I have verified it with fdisk:

    [ ... ]

    Partition type has nothing to do with your problem.

    > My kernel is compiled with read-only ufs support, but maybe the ufs
    > filesystem of Solaris 10 is not supported by my kernel
    > (vmlinux-2.6.13-15.10-smp)?

    Your kernel is not compiled with Solaris-x86 partition support. Your
    ..config file must be altered and a new kernel built.

    #
    # Partition Types
    #
    [ ... ]
    # CONFIG_SOLARIS_X86_PARTITION is not set

  5. Re: How to mount a Solaris 10 x86 partition on linux

    Dave Uhring schrieb:
    > Your kernel is not compiled with Solaris-x86 partition support. Your
    > .config file must be altered and a new kernel built.

    > # Partition Types
    > #
    > [ ... ]
    > # CONFIG_SOLARIS_X86_PARTITION is not set

    It seems to be set, I looked at the kernel config of my running kernel:

    zcat /proc/config.gz | fgrep -i CONFIG_SOLARIS_X86_PARTITION
    CONFIG_SOLARIS_X86_PARTITION=y

    Pedro

  6. Re: How to mount a Solaris 10 x86 partition on linux

    On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 20:14:22 +0200, Pedro Santos wrote:

    > Dave Uhring schrieb:
    >> Your kernel is not compiled with Solaris-x86 partition support. Your
    >> .config file must be altered and a new kernel built.

    >> # Partition Types
    >> #
    >> [ ... ]
    >> # CONFIG_SOLARIS_X86_PARTITION is not set

    > It seems to be set, I looked at the kernel config of my running kernel:
    >
    > zcat /proc/config.gz | fgrep -i CONFIG_SOLARIS_X86_PARTITION
    > CONFIG_SOLARIS_X86_PARTITION=y

    Then in dmesg you should see the separate Solaris partitions similar to
    this:

    [linux]$ dmesg | grep hd
    [ ... ]
    hdb2:

    You cannot mount /dev/hda1. You must mount the appropriate extended
    partition. On my machine /dev/hdb5 is the root partition of the OpenBSD
    installation, not /dev/hdb2.

  7. Re: How to mount a Solaris 10 x86 partition on linux

    Dave Uhring schrieb:
    > Then in dmesg you should see the separate Solaris partitions similar to
    > this:
    >
    > [linux]$ dmesg | grep hd
    > [ ... ]
    > hdb2:
    >
    > You cannot mount /dev/hda1. You must mount the appropriate extended
    > partition. On my machine /dev/hdb5 is the root partition of the OpenBSD
    > installation, not /dev/hdb2.

    I tried "dmesg | grep hd" and it showed me the that I have to mount
    /dev/hda5 , now it works :-)

    hda: hda1 hda2 hda3
    hda1:

    So hda1 is a primary partition which contains 4 extended partitions?

    Thanks a lot
    Pedro

  8. Re: How to mount a Solaris 10 x86 partition on linux

    On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 20:55:05 +0200, Pedro Santos wrote:

    > I tried "dmesg | grep hd" and it showed me the that I have to mount
    > /dev/hda5 , now it works :-)
    >
    > hda: hda1 hda2 hda3
    > hda1:
    >
    > So hda1 is a primary partition which contains 4 extended partitions?

    They are not extended partitions although Linux treats them that way. The
    Solaris partition contains individual slices whose geometry can be viewed
    using prtvoc(1M). This geometry is similar to BSD disklabel.

+ Reply to Thread