Forcing duplex on e1000g - Solaris

This is a discussion on Forcing duplex on e1000g - Solaris ; Hi Anyone know how to force a duplex setting on an e1000g-card without booting? I've set up 2 interfaces on my 2 Sun Fire X4200 servers, and want to force the first NIC to be 100/Full and the second card ...

  1. Forcing duplex on e1000g

    Hi

    Anyone know how to force a duplex setting on an e1000g-card without
    booting?

    I've set up 2 interfaces on my 2 Sun Fire X4200 servers, and want to
    force
    the first NIC to be 100/Full and the second card to be 1000/Full

    The second has autonegotiated itself to 1000/Full (no problem), but the

    first has negotiated itself to 100/Half:

    bash-3.00# dladm show-dev
    e1000g0 link: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: half
    e1000g1 link: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full
    e1000g2 link: down speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: half
    e1000g3 link: down speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: half

    I've change the file /kernel/drv/e1000g.conf so that ForceSpeedDuplex
    now
    reads:

    ForceSpeedDuplex=4,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7;

    so that should take care of itself if i reboot. However I don't want to
    do
    that.

    I used to be able to do it with ndd, but ndd now gives:

    bash-3.00# ndd /dev/e1000g0 \?
    operation failed: Invalid argument

    Anybody got ideas?

  2. Re: Forcing duplex on e1000g

    In article <1148996250.812102.92330@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>,
    wrote:
    >I've set up 2 interfaces on my 2 Sun Fire X4200 servers, and want to
    >force
    >the first NIC to be 100/Full and the second card to be 1000/Full
    >
    >The second has autonegotiated itself to 1000/Full (no problem), but the
    >
    >first has negotiated itself to 100/Half:

    Seems the first step is figuring out why e1000g0 isn't correctly
    autonegotiating to full duplex. Is the switch that interface
    is connect to properly configured?

    >I've change the file /kernel/drv/e1000g.conf so that ForceSpeedDuplex
    >now
    >reads:
    >
    >ForceSpeedDuplex=4,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7;
    >
    >so that should take care of itself if i reboot. However I don't want to
    >do
    >that.

    You could try unplumbing all your e1000g interfaces, modunload e1000g,
    and then plumb the interfaces.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  3. Re: Forcing duplex on e1000g

    John D Groenveld skrev:
    > In article <1148996250.812102.92330@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>,
    > wrote:
    > >I've set up 2 interfaces on my 2 Sun Fire X4200 servers, and want to
    > >force
    > >the first NIC to be 100/Full and the second card to be 1000/Full
    > >
    > >The second has autonegotiated itself to 1000/Full (no problem), but the
    > >
    > >first has negotiated itself to 100/Half:

    > Seems the first step is figuring out why e1000g0 isn't correctly
    > autonegotiating to full duplex. Is the switch that interface
    > is connect to properly configured?

    There is a problem with the switch which I am aware of. The solution
    for this has always been to force the interface to 100/Full, I've
    always done that with ndd in previous versions of Solaris. Surely that
    must still be possible?

    > >I've change the file /kernel/drv/e1000g.conf so that ForceSpeedDuplex
    > >now
    > >reads:
    > >
    > >ForceSpeedDuplex=4,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7;
    > >
    > >so that should take care of itself if i reboot. However I don't want to
    > >do
    > >that.

    > You could try unplumbing all your e1000g interfaces, modunload e1000g,
    > and then plumb the interfaces.

    That would be downtime and is not an option.

    > John
    > groenveld@acm.org

  4. Re: Forcing duplex on e1000g

    In article <1149062171.522700.313690@f6g2000cwb.googlegroups.c om>,
    wrote:
    >always done that with ndd in previous versions of Solaris. Surely that
    >must still be possible?

    e1000g(7D) does not support toggling those settings via ndd(1M).

    If you can't bring down the interfaces, replace the broken switch.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

+ Reply to Thread