trying to get a NIC card to work - Solaris

This is a discussion on trying to get a NIC card to work - Solaris ; ok here goes, I installed Solaris 10 about two weeks ago on a generic machine a built a while ago. Everthing is well except one major problem. My NIC card isn't being recognized. I first purchased a D-Link 530TX+. I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: trying to get a NIC card to work

  1. trying to get a NIC card to work

    ok here goes,

    I installed Solaris 10 about two weeks ago on a generic machine a built
    a while ago. Everthing is well except one major problem. My NIC card
    isn't being recognized.

    I first purchased a D-Link 530TX+. I followed the instruction on the
    HCL page for the driver info. The driver seems to install but Solaris
    wouldn't seem to be able to load or attach it.

    The error message i get when i boot up is the it fails to plumb and to
    configure DHCP.
    When I went to svcs -x the error message was: SMF-8000-KS. I looked up
    on the sun website about what this error ment. I investigated the
    files that it told me too and I'm still having the problem.

    So I purchased another NIC card. This time it's a netgear FA311v2.

    I followed the directions given in the read me file within the zip of
    the driver file that was refered to on the HCL on sun's website.
    everything went well until I reached "# /usr/ccs/bin/make install"
    (located in 4. Testing) line in the preinstallation phase of the
    install. the message i get when I type that in is: "make: Fatal error:
    Don't know how to make target 'install' ". Well I was a bit persistant
    and thought to just skip it(lol) just to try to proceed and i did with
    the next step: "./adddrv.sh". The message I got from this was "System
    configuration files modified but sfe drivers not loaded or attached.
    Driver(sfe) installed ".

    For both cards when I attemted to install them and did ifconfig, the
    following message is what I get:
    lo0: flags=2001000849 mtu
    8232 index 1
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000

    Now I know I'm no expert at UNIX, but geez,this is just driving me
    insane.

    I would appreciate any help I can get.

    Thank you in advance,
    n00b

    P.S. I have a large trout ready for the computer if i can't solve this
    problem.


  2. Re: trying to get a NIC card to work

    Because those are some NIC's I saw online and matched with what I could
    get from newegg,compUSA and microcenter. But thanks, I guess that will
    have to be my next try.


  3. Re: trying to get a NIC card to work



    NicoliT@gmail.com wrote:
    > ok here goes,
    >
    > I installed Solaris 10 about two weeks ago on a generic machine a built
    > a while ago. Everthing is well except one major problem. My NIC card
    > isn't being recognized.
    >
    > I first purchased a D-Link 530TX+. I followed the instruction on the
    > HCL page for the driver info. The driver seems to install but Solaris
    > wouldn't seem to be able to load or attach it.
    >
    > The error message i get when i boot up is the it fails to plumb and to
    > configure DHCP.
    > When I went to svcs -x the error message was: SMF-8000-KS. I looked up
    > on the sun website about what this error ment. I investigated the
    > files that it told me too and I'm still having the problem.
    >
    > So I purchased another NIC card. This time it's a netgear FA311v2.
    >
    > I followed the directions given in the read me file within the zip of
    > the driver file that was refered to on the HCL on sun's website.
    > everything went well until I reached "# /usr/ccs/bin/make install"
    > (located in 4. Testing) line in the preinstallation phase of the
    > install. the message i get when I type that in is: "make: Fatal error:
    > Don't know how to make target 'install' ".


    You need to check that the Makefile is ok. Is there an entry in it
    called install? If it looks OK, try using gmake instead of make. That
    has saved me a few times.


    Well I was a bit persistant
    > and thought to just skip it(lol) just to try to proceed and i did with
    > the next step: "./adddrv.sh". The message I got from this was "System
    > configuration files modified but sfe drivers not loaded or attached.
    > Driver(sfe) installed ".
    >
    > For both cards when I attemted to install them and did ifconfig, the
    > following message is what I get:
    > lo0: flags=2001000849 mtu
    > 8232 index 1
    > inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
    >


    lo0 is just the loopback. In other words, the only thing your system saw
    was itself, with no network interfaces.

    > Now I know I'm no expert at UNIX, but geez,this is just driving me
    > insane.
    >
    > I would appreciate any help I can get.
    >
    > Thank you in advance,
    > n00b
    >
    > P.S. I have a large trout ready for the computer if i can't solve this
    > problem.
    >


    Gary Meerschaert

  4. Re: trying to get a NIC card to work

    In article <1148947509.292893.28660@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.c om>,
    NicoliT@gmail.com wrote:
    >So I purchased another NIC card. This time it's a netgear FA311v2.


    What's the output of prtpci for this NIC?


    >I followed the directions given in the read me file within the zip of
    >the driver file that was refered to on the HCL on sun's website.
    >everything went well until I reached "# /usr/ccs/bin/make install"
    >(located in 4. Testing) line in the preinstallation phase of the
    >install. the message i get when I type that in is: "make: Fatal error:
    >Don't know how to make target 'install' ". Well I was a bit persistant
    >and thought to just skip it(lol) just to try to proceed and i did with
    >the next step: "./adddrv.sh". The message I got from this was "System
    >configuration files modified but sfe drivers not loaded or attached.
    >Driver(sfe) installed ".


    I don't have a supported NIC to test, but I did d/l Masayuki Murayama's
    sfe-2.2.0
    # /usr/ccs/bin/make install
    /usr/sbin/install -f /kernel/drv -m 755 -u root -g sys i386/sfe
    new owner is root
    i386/sfe installed as /kernel/drv/sfe
    cp /etc/system /etc/system.nosfe
    echo "exclude: sfe" >> /etc/system.nosfe

    If I did have that NIC, then per README.txt, to finish testing I would
    run:
    # modload -p drv/sfe
    # devfsadm -i sfe
    # ifconfig sfe0 plumb
    # ifconfig -a

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  5. Re: trying to get a NIC card to work

    I tried gmake still didn't work...

    I checked in the makefile.i386_suncc and the install line reads as
    follows: "install: install32 /etc/system.no${DRV}"


  6. Re: trying to get a NIC card to work


    John D Groenveld wrote:
    > In article <1148947509.292893.28660@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.c om>,
    > NicoliT@gmail.com wrote:
    > >So I purchased another NIC card. This time it's a netgear FA311v2.

    >
    > What's the output of prtpci for this NIC?
    >
    >
    > >I followed the directions given in the read me file within the zip of
    > >the driver file that was refered to on the HCL on sun's website.
    > >everything went well until I reached "# /usr/ccs/bin/make install"
    > >(located in 4. Testing) line in the preinstallation phase of the
    > >install. the message i get when I type that in is: "make: Fatal error:
    > >Don't know how to make target 'install' ". Well I was a bit persistant
    > >and thought to just skip it(lol) just to try to proceed and i did with
    > >the next step: "./adddrv.sh". The message I got from this was "System
    > >configuration files modified but sfe drivers not loaded or attached.
    > >Driver(sfe) installed ".

    >
    > I don't have a supported NIC to test, but I did d/l Masayuki Murayama's
    > sfe-2.2.0
    > # /usr/ccs/bin/make install
    > /usr/sbin/install -f /kernel/drv -m 755 -u root -g sys i386/sfe
    > new owner is root
    > i386/sfe installed as /kernel/drv/sfe
    > cp /etc/system /etc/system.nosfe
    > echo "exclude: sfe" >> /etc/system.nosfe
    >
    > If I did have that NIC, then per README.txt, to finish testing I would
    > run:
    > # modload -p drv/sfe
    > # devfsadm -i sfe
    > # ifconfig sfe0 plumb
    > # ifconfig -a
    >
    > John
    > groenveld@acm.org


    Ok Sir,

    the modload -p dvr/sfe command seems to have worked
    the next issue is with the command
    # devfsadm -i sfe

    the message I get is:
    devfsadm:driver failed to attach: sfe

    Now I'm wondering if another driver is currently mounted not allowing
    it to accept this one. Maybe I can do this Manually. Might you know
    the files I need to go in and check? and maybe what it should look
    like when a driver is properly mounted.

    Thanks again


  7. Re: trying to get a NIC card to work

    In article <1149132661.487006.128470@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    NicoliT@gmail.com wrote:
    >John D Groenveld wrote:
    >> What's the output of prtpci for this NIC?
    >>

    >

    [snipped]
    ># devfsadm -i sfe
    >
    >the message I get is:
    >devfsadm:driver failed to attach: sfe
    >
    >Now I'm wondering if another driver is currently mounted not allowing
    >it to accept this one. Maybe I can do this Manually. Might you know
    >the files I need to go in and check? and maybe what it should look
    >like when a driver is properly mounted.


    What is the output of prtpci for the NIC in question?

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  8. Re: trying to get a NIC card to work

    This is the information that came up for the NIC when I did:

    # prtconf -pv

    node 0x00000c
    assigned-addresses:
    81005010.00000000.00006c00.00000000.00000100.82005 014.00000000.ee000000.00000000.00000100
    reg:
    00005000.00000000.00000000.00000000.00000000.01005 010.00000000.00000000.00000000.00000100.02005014.0 0000000.00000000.00000000.00000100
    compatibale: `pci10ec,8139.1385.f31d.10` +
    `pci10ec,8139.1385.f31d` + `pci1385,f31d` + `pci10ec,8139.10` +
    `pci10ec,8139` + `pciclass,020000` + `pciclass,0200'

    model: `Ethernet Controller`
    power-consumpion: 00000001.00000001
    fast-back-to-back:
    devsel-speed: 00000001
    interrupts: 00000001
    max-latency: 00000040
    min-grant: 00000020
    subsystem-vendor-id: 00001385
    subsystem-id: 0000f31d
    unit-address: `a`
    class-code: 00020000
    revision-id: 00000010
    vendor-id: 000010ec
    device-id: 00008139
    name: `pci1385,f31d`

    John D Groenveld wrote:
    > In article <1149132661.487006.128470@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    > NicoliT@gmail.com wrote:
    > >John D Groenveld wrote:
    > >> What's the output of prtpci for this NIC?
    > >>

    > >

    > [snipped]
    > ># devfsadm -i sfe
    > >
    > >the message I get is:
    > >devfsadm:driver failed to attach: sfe
    > >
    > >Now I'm wondering if another driver is currently mounted not allowing
    > >it to accept this one. Maybe I can do this Manually. Might you know
    > >the files I need to go in and check? and maybe what it should look
    > >like when a driver is properly mounted.

    >
    > What is the output of prtpci for the NIC in question?
    >
    > John
    > groenveld@acm.org



  9. Re: trying to get a NIC card to work

    "NicoliT@gmail.com" writes:

    > This is the information that came up for the NIC when I did:
    >
    > # prtconf -pv

    ....
    > compatibale: `pci10ec,8139.1385.f31d.10` +
    > `pci10ec,8139.1385.f31d` + `pci1385,f31d` + `pci10ec,8139.10` +
    > `pci10ec,8139` + `pciclass,020000` + `pciclass,0200'


    > vendor-id: 000010ec
    > device-id: 00008139
    > name: `pci1385,f31d`


    That would be a "Realtek Fast Ethernet 8139-based network interface
    controller". It is supported by the Solaris 10 x86 "rtls" driver.

    % grep rtls /etc/driver_aliases
    rtls "pci10ec,8139"

    ># devfsadm -i sfe
    >
    >the message I get is:
    >devfsadm:driver failed to attach: sfe


    That doesn't surprise me. "sfe" is the wrong device driver for this
    device.


    Unless you've installed some bogus pci device alias bindings in an
    attempt to make the NIC work, the following should work:

    devfsadm -v
    ifconfig -a plumb
    ifconfig -a

    (in addition to the loopback interface "lo0" some "rtls*" interface
    should be listed; assuming it is the "rtls0" interface that was
    detected by ifconfig -a plumb...)

    ifconfig rtls0 inet 192.168.1.1 up
    echo 192.168.1.1 > /etc/hostname.rtls0


  10. Re: trying to get a NIC card to work


    Juergen Keil wrote:
    > "NicoliT@gmail.com" writes:
    >
    > > This is the information that came up for the NIC when I did:
    > >
    > > # prtconf -pv

    > ...
    > > compatibale: `pci10ec,8139.1385.f31d.10` +
    > > `pci10ec,8139.1385.f31d` + `pci1385,f31d` + `pci10ec,8139.10` +
    > > `pci10ec,8139` + `pciclass,020000` + `pciclass,0200'

    >
    > > vendor-id: 000010ec
    > > device-id: 00008139
    > > name: `pci1385,f31d`

    >
    > That would be a "Realtek Fast Ethernet 8139-based network interface
    > controller". It is supported by the Solaris 10 x86 "rtls" driver.
    >
    > % grep rtls /etc/driver_aliases
    > rtls "pci10ec,8139"
    >
    > ># devfsadm -i sfe
    > >
    > >the message I get is:
    > >devfsadm:driver failed to attach: sfe

    >
    > That doesn't surprise me. "sfe" is the wrong device driver for this
    > device.
    >
    >
    > Unless you've installed some bogus pci device alias bindings in an
    > attempt to make the NIC work, the following should work:
    >
    > devfsadm -v
    > ifconfig -a plumb
    > ifconfig -a
    >
    > (in addition to the loopback interface "lo0" some "rtls*" interface
    > should be listed; assuming it is the "rtls0" interface that was
    > detected by ifconfig -a plumb...)
    >
    > ifconfig rtls0 inet 192.168.1.1 up
    > echo 192.168.1.1 > /etc/hostname.rtls0


    Ok,

    I've attemped the suggested lines of code and I seem to have some sort
    of connectivity with my card. My ifconfig -a now reads:

    lo0: flags=2001000849 mtu
    8232 index 1
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
    rtls0: flags=1000843 mtu 1500 index
    2
    inet 192.168.1.1 netmask ffffff00 broadcast
    192.168.1.255
    ether 0:14:6c:85:29:43

    Thank you for getting me to this point.

    Now the question is how do I configure it to DHCP so my router can
    automatically assign it an IP so I can access the web and the rest of
    my network?

    Also, what files do I need to modify so these things can be configured
    on boot up?

    Thank you again for getting me this far


  11. Re: trying to get a NIC card to work

    In article <1149359486.150750.262430@f6g2000cwb.googlegroups.c om>,
    NicoliT@gmail.com wrote:
    >Now the question is how do I configure it to DHCP so my router can
    >automatically assign it an IP so I can access the web and the rest of
    >my network?
    >
    >Also, what files do I need to modify so these things can be configured
    >on boot up?


    # cp /dev/null /etc/hostname.rtls0
    # cp /dev/null /etc/dhcp.rtls0

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  12. Re: trying to get a NIC card to work


    John D Groenveld wrote:
    > In article <1149359486.150750.262430@f6g2000cwb.googlegroups.c om>,
    > NicoliT@gmail.com wrote:
    > >Now the question is how do I configure it to DHCP so my router can
    > >automatically assign it an IP so I can access the web and the rest of
    > >my network?
    > >
    > >Also, what files do I need to modify so these things can be configured
    > >on boot up?

    >
    > # cp /dev/null /etc/hostname.rtls0
    > # cp /dev/null /etc/dhcp.rtls0
    >
    > John
    > groenveld@acm.org


    Ok,

    Here is a little update. I tried this:
    #ifconfig rtls0 dhcp

    It worked. My router asigned it a ip address. Now when I try to go
    online via the web browser, I still can get to a web page. Is there
    any setting I'm supposed to change in the browser in order for it to
    know that I have a dedicated connection to the web??


  13. Re: trying to get a NIC card to work

    In article <1149899637.318013.233130@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups. com>,
    NicoliT@gmail.com wrote:
    >Here is a little update. I tried this:
    >#ifconfig rtls0 dhcp
    >
    >It worked. My router asigned it a ip address. Now when I try to go
    >online via the web browser, I still can get to a web page. Is there
    >any setting I'm supposed to change in the browser in order for it to
    >know that I have a dedicated connection to the web??


    My guess is that your having DNS problems.

    Assuming your router does some sort of DNS caching, add its address
    to resolv.conf(4)
    #echo "nameserver 10.0.0.1">>/etc/resolv.conf

    Edit /etc/nsswitch.conf and dns to the hosts line:
    hosts: files dns

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  14. Re: trying to get a NIC card to work

    Finally,

    I didn't know exactly what to do. I didn't get you message earlier.
    So I figured the service wassn't running because it still gave me a
    message when I was booting. So I searched around to see where the boot
    files might be for the services. In the /etc folder I noticed a
    dhcp.skeg0 or something to that effect. I changed that extention to
    rtls0 since I knew that's the driver I'm using. I also noticed that
    the file containing my host name was that same skge0 extension. I
    changed that to rtls0 as well.

    Well guess what. I'm on my Solaris 10 computer right now typing this
    response.

    I'm sO happy.

    Thank you for all your help again
    Solaris noob

    P.S. I hope I don't have to bother you guys again to soon
    John D Groenveld wrote:
    > In article <1149899637.318013.233130@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups. com>,
    > NicoliT@gmail.com wrote:
    > >Here is a little update. I tried this:
    > >#ifconfig rtls0 dhcp
    > >
    > >It worked. My router asigned it a ip address. Now when I try to go
    > >online via the web browser, I still can get to a web page. Is there
    > >any setting I'm supposed to change in the browser in order for it to
    > >know that I have a dedicated connection to the web??

    >
    > My guess is that your having DNS problems.
    >
    > Assuming your router does some sort of DNS caching, add its address
    > to resolv.conf(4)
    > #echo "nameserver 10.0.0.1">>/etc/resolv.conf
    >
    > Edit /etc/nsswitch.conf and dns to the hosts line:
    > hosts: files dns
    >
    > John
    > groenveld@acm.org



+ Reply to Thread