NC100 card - can it really be used? - Solaris

This is a discussion on NC100 card - can it really be used? - Solaris ; I have just loaded Solaris 10 from the Sun DVD on my pc. I am trying to get the Linksys (Network Everywhere) NC100 card to work with it. I am having little luck. I loaded the GED (etherdrivers) packages with ...

  1. NC100 card - can it really be used?

    I have just loaded Solaris 10 from the Sun DVD on my pc. I am trying to
    get the Linksys (Network Everywhere) NC100 card to work with it. I am
    having little luck.

    I loaded the GED (etherdrivers) packages with the drivers for the card.
    I used release 1.0.5. These are the drivers from Garret D'Amore. The
    software loaded OK, and when I set up the network configuration file
    such as /etc/hostname.afe0 the system found the card.

    My problem is that I can not access the card. When I try to from inside
    of the system I get the message:
    Open(/dev/afe0): I/O Error

    Can this card really be used? Is there any trick to get it going?

    --
    Gary Meerschaert

  2. Re: NC100 card - can it really be used?

    On Sun, 28 May 2006 15:17:04 -0400, Gary & Terrie Meerschaert wrote:

    > I have just loaded Solaris 10 from the Sun DVD on my pc. I am trying to
    > get the Linksys (Network Everywhere) NC100 card to work with it. I am
    > having little luck.
    >
    > I loaded the GED (etherdrivers) packages with the drivers for the card.
    > I used release 1.0.5. These are the drivers from Garret D'Amore. The
    > software loaded OK, and when I set up the network configuration file
    > such as /etc/hostname.afe0 the system found the card.
    >
    > My problem is that I can not access the card. When I try to from inside
    > of the system I get the message:
    > Open(/dev/afe0): I/O Error
    >
    > Can this card really be used? Is there any trick to get it going?

    I have one working:

    $ ifconfig afe0
    afe0: flags=1000843 mtu 1500 index 2
    inet 192.168.1.13 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255

    with GED drivers:

    $ pkginfo | grep GED
    system GEDenetd Garrett's Solaris Ethernet Drivers
    system GEDenetm Garrett's Solaris Ethernet Drivers (Man Pages)
    system GEDenetu Garrett's Solaris Ethernet Drivers (Utility and Header)

    $ pkginfo -x GEDenetd
    GEDenetd Garrett's Solaris Ethernet Drivers
    (i386) 1.0.5,REV=2005.12.04.22.13

    I don't remember it required anything special and the same card and
    drivers have been used in Solaris 8 and 10. So it can work and mine
    has been perfect in service. Not scrapping useful working parts is a
    hobby of mine but it's probably easier to use a supported card, even
    the minor hassle of not being able to load the drivers via the network
    because the network isn't working yet.

  3. Re: NC100 card - can it really be used?

    The solution for me was two-fold.

    1) Some of the permissions on the fi;e under /devices were wrong.

    2) The card does not work if it was first initialized by XP. The
    computer has to be power-cycled between OS uses, not just rebooted.

    Gary and Terrie Meerschaert

    James Lee wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 May 2006 15:17:04 -0400, Gary & Terrie Meerschaert wrote:
    >
    >> I have just loaded Solaris 10 from the Sun DVD on my pc. I am trying to
    >> get the Linksys (Network Everywhere) NC100 card to work with it. I am
    >> having little luck.
    >>
    >> I loaded the GED (etherdrivers) packages with the drivers for the card.
    >> I used release 1.0.5. These are the drivers from Garret D'Amore. The
    >> software loaded OK, and when I set up the network configuration file
    >> such as /etc/hostname.afe0 the system found the card.
    >>
    >> My problem is that I can not access the card. When I try to from inside
    >> of the system I get the message:
    >> Open(/dev/afe0): I/O Error
    >>
    >> Can this card really be used? Is there any trick to get it going?

    > I have one working:
    >
    > $ ifconfig afe0
    > afe0: flags=1000843 mtu 1500 index 2
    > inet 192.168.1.13 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
    >
    > with GED drivers:
    >
    > $ pkginfo | grep GED
    > system GEDenetd Garrett's Solaris Ethernet Drivers
    > system GEDenetm Garrett's Solaris Ethernet Drivers (Man Pages)
    > system GEDenetu Garrett's Solaris Ethernet Drivers (Utility and Header)
    >

    > $ pkginfo -x GEDenetd
    > GEDenetd Garrett's Solaris Ethernet Drivers
    > (i386) 1.0.5,REV=2005.12.04.22.13
    >
    > I don't remember it required anything special and the same card and
    > drivers have been used in Solaris 8 and 10. So it can work and mine
    > has been perfect in service. Not scrapping useful working parts is a
    > hobby of mine but it's probably easier to use a supported card, even
    > the minor hassle of not being able to load the drivers via the network
    > because the network isn't working yet.

+ Reply to Thread