hostid on Solaris (x86, not SPARC) - Solaris

This is a discussion on hostid on Solaris (x86, not SPARC) - Solaris ; How is the hostid of a Solaris 10 (and 11) x86 machine determined? What could cause it to change? If one installs a second copy of Solaris on a second disk in the same machine (so same ethernet address), would ...

  1. hostid on Solaris (x86, not SPARC)

    How is the hostid of a Solaris 10 (and 11) x86 machine determined? What
    could cause it to change? If one installs a second copy of Solaris on a
    second disk in the same machine (so same ethernet address), would the
    hostid change?

    I know on SPARC it is the NVRAM so will only change on replacement of a
    motherboard, but is this so on x86?

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

  2. Re: hostid on Solaris (x86, not SPARC)

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    > How is the hostid of a Solaris 10 (and 11) x86 machine determined? What
    > could cause it to change? If one installs a second copy of Solaris on a
    > second disk in the same machine (so same ethernet address), would the
    > hostid change?
    >
    > I know on SPARC it is the NVRAM so will only change on replacement of a
    > motherboard, but is this so on x86?

    http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/sun...faq.html#intel

  3. Re: hostid on Solaris (x86, not SPARC)

    "Dave (from the UK)" writes:

    >How is the hostid of a Solaris 10 (and 11) x86 machine determined? What
    >could cause it to change? If one installs a second copy of Solaris on a
    >second disk in the same machine (so same ethernet address), would the
    >hostid change?

    Some random process at install time.

    Possibly. It's in the driver module "sysinit".

    Casper

  4. Re: hostid on Solaris (x86, not SPARC)

    Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
    > "Dave (from the UK)" writes:
    >

    >>How is the hostid of a Solaris 10 (and 11) x86 machine determined? What
    >>could cause it to change? If one installs a second copy of Solaris on a
    >>second disk in the same machine (so same ethernet address), would the
    >>hostid change?

    > Some random process at install time.

    Why the change from SPARC where it is difficult to change to x86 where
    it is random? I realise there is nothing you can rely on being fixed on
    x86, but most have ethernet and so have an ethernet address, which would
    be reasonably fixed. I would think any newish motherboard would have
    ethernet on.

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

  5. Re: hostid on Solaris (x86, not SPARC)

    "Dave (from the UK)" writes:

    >Why the change from SPARC where it is difficult to change to x86 where
    >it is random? I realise there is nothing you can rely on being fixed on
    >x86, but most have ethernet and so have an ethernet address, which would
    >be reasonably fixed. I would think any newish motherboard would have
    >ethernet on.

    Quite; but not initially.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.