Geforce 6600 driver hassles on Solaris 10 1/06 - Solaris

This is a discussion on Geforce 6600 driver hassles on Solaris 10 1/06 - Solaris ; I'm trying to install Solaris 10 1/06 on PC with a Gigabyte GeForce 6600 graphics card. This is a 64-bit PC (Opteron 248). During the install it selects Video Device: Nvida Corporation GeForce 6600 Video Driver: XF86-NV Resolution/Colours: 1024 x ...

  1. Geforce 6600 driver hassles on Solaris 10 1/06

    I'm trying to install Solaris 10 1/06 on PC with a Gigabyte GeForce 6600
    graphics card. This is a 64-bit PC (Opteron 248).

    During the install it selects

    Video Device: Nvida Corporation GeForce 6600
    Video Driver: XF86-NV
    Resolution/Colours: 1024 x 768 256 Color @ &0 Hz.
    Screen size: 17"

    Anyway, that lot simply does not work - the screen is a right mess.

    Changing the video driver to:

    Video Driver: XF86-VESA

    and setting the monitor size, resolution to more sensible values
    (1600x1200 @ 60 Hz, 21"), gives me a nice GUI and I can install Solaris.

    The problem is, once installed, as soon the X server starts, so the
    screen become unusable again. Having discovered the XF86-VESA driver
    works during install, whereas the XF86-NV one did not, I assumed Solaris
    would then use a workable driver. But needless to say I can't do much at
    this point with it.

    Any suggestions on the best driver to use? I assume download one from
    the Nvida site?

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

  2. Re: Geforce 6600 driver hassles on Solaris 10 1/06

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    > I'm trying to install Solaris 10 1/06 on PC with a Gigabyte GeForce 6600
    > graphics card. This is a 64-bit PC (Opteron 248).
    >
    > During the install it selects
    >
    > Video Device: Nvida Corporation GeForce 6600
    > Video Driver: XF86-NV
    > Resolution/Colours: 1024 x 768 256 Color @ &0 Hz.
    > Screen size: 17"
    >
    > Anyway, that lot simply does not work - the screen is a right mess.
    >
    > Changing the video driver to:
    >
    > Video Driver: XF86-VESA
    >
    > and setting the monitor size, resolution to more sensible values
    > (1600x1200 @ 60 Hz, 21"), gives me a nice GUI and I can install Solaris.
    >
    > The problem is, once installed, as soon the X server starts, so the
    > screen become unusable again. Having discovered the XF86-VESA driver
    > works during install, whereas the XF86-NV one did not, I assumed Solaris
    > would then use a workable driver. But needless to say I can't do much at
    > this point with it.
    >
    > Any suggestions on the best driver to use? I assume download one from
    > the Nvida site?

    Yes, download it and you'll be happy ;-) I had a Gigabyte GeForce 6600
    in an Opteron 165 system running with the NVIDIA provided drivers.

    Best regards,
    Andreas

  3. Re: Geforce 6600 driver hassles on Solaris 10 1/06

    Also read the nvidia forums.

    Your card is not offical supported by the Nvidia drivers, but in the
    forum it tell you how to get your card working.

  4. Re: Geforce 6600 driver hassles on Solaris 10 1/06

    Andreas Wacknitz wrote:
    > Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying to install Solaris 10 1/06 on PC with a Gigabyte GeForce
    >> 6600 graphics card. This is a 64-bit PC (Opteron 248).
    >>
    >> During the install it selects
    >>
    >> Video Device: Nvida Corporation GeForce 6600
    >> Video Driver: XF86-NV
    >> Resolution/Colours: 1024 x 768 256 Color @ &0 Hz.
    >> Screen size: 17"
    >>
    >> Anyway, that lot simply does not work - the screen is a right mess.
    >>
    >> Changing the video driver to:
    >>
    >> Video Driver: XF86-VESA
    >>
    >> and setting the monitor size, resolution to more sensible values
    >> (1600x1200 @ 60 Hz, 21"), gives me a nice GUI and I can install Solaris.
    >>
    >> The problem is, once installed, as soon the X server starts, so the
    >> screen become unusable again. Having discovered the XF86-VESA driver
    >> works during install, whereas the XF86-NV one did not, I assumed
    >> Solaris would then use a workable driver. But needless to say I can't
    >> do much at this point with it.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions on the best driver to use? I assume download one from
    >> the Nvida site?

    > Yes, download it and you'll be happy ;-) I had a Gigabyte GeForce 6600
    > in an Opteron 165 system running with the NVIDIA provided drivers.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Andreas

    Dave, get drivers from nvidia.
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/solaris..._1.0-8762.html
    had some issues with scrollmouse & kbd ( se layout ) but works atlast.
    im using an AGP asus fb, had to point the pci slot.
    $ grep PCI /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    # section can only match up with the primary video device. For PCI
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    /Jorgen

  5. Re: Geforce 6600 driver hassles on Solaris 10 1/06

    Jorgen Moquist wrote:
    > Andreas Wacknitz wrote:
    >
    >> Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm trying to install Solaris 10 1/06 on PC with a Gigabyte GeForce
    >>> 6600 graphics card. This is a 64-bit PC (Opteron 248).
    >>>
    >>> During the install it selects
    >>>
    >>> Video Device: Nvida Corporation GeForce 6600
    >>> Video Driver: XF86-NV
    >>> Resolution/Colours: 1024 x 768 256 Color @ &0 Hz.
    >>> Screen size: 17"
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, that lot simply does not work - the screen is a right mess.
    >>>
    >>> Changing the video driver to:
    >>>
    >>> Video Driver: XF86-VESA
    >>>
    >>> and setting the monitor size, resolution to more sensible values
    >>> (1600x1200 @ 60 Hz, 21"), gives me a nice GUI and I can install Solaris.
    >>>
    >>> The problem is, once installed, as soon the X server starts, so the
    >>> screen become unusable again. Having discovered the XF86-VESA driver
    >>> works during install, whereas the XF86-NV one did not, I assumed
    >>> Solaris would then use a workable driver. But needless to say I can't
    >>> do much at this point with it.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions on the best driver to use? I assume download one from
    >>> the Nvida site?

    >> Yes, download it and you'll be happy ;-) I had a Gigabyte GeForce 6600
    >> in an Opteron 165 system running with the NVIDIA provided drivers.
    >>
    >> Best regards,
    >> Andreas

    > Dave, get drivers from nvidia.
    > http://www.nvidia.com/object/solaris..._1.0-8762.html
    > had some issues with scrollmouse & kbd ( se layout ) but works atlast.
    > im using an AGP asus fb, had to point the pci slot.
    > $ grep PCI /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    > # section can only match up with the primary video device. For PCI
    > BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    > /Jorgen

    forgot to mention i modified /etc/driver_aliases
    nvidia "pci10de,18a"
    nvidia "pci10de,308"
    nvidia "pci10de,309"
    nvidia "pci10de,17a"
    nvidia "pci10de,32a"
    nvidia "pci10de,32b"
    nvidia "pci10de,338"
    nvidia "pci10de,33f"
    nvidia "pci10de,34c"
    nvidia "pci10de,34e"
    nvidia "pci10de,4e"
    nvidia "pci10de,f2"
    nvidia "pci10de,f8"
    nvidia "pci10de,fc"
    nvidia "pci10de,fd"
    nvidia "pci10de,fe"
    nvidia "pci10de,ce"
    nvidia "pci10de,14e"

    to recognise my card from the output of /usr/local/bin/prtpci,
    there is a xorg equivalent of prtpci, sorry dont remember.

    Bus,Device,Function: 1,0,0
    Vendor,Device ID: 10de,f2 Rev a2 (NVIDIA Corporation, )
    Subsys. Vendor,Device: 1554,1194
    Class code: 030000 (Display Controller, VGA device)
    Interrupt pin: 1

    assigned-addresses:
    Mem32 00000000dd000000 0000000001000000 (@10)
    Mem32 00000000e0000000 0000000010000000 (@14)
    Mem32 00000000dc000000 0000000001000000 (@18)
    Mem32 00000000dffe0000 0000000000020000 (@30)
    I/O 00000000000003b0 000000000000000c (@00)
    I/O 00000000000003c0 0000000000000020 (@00)
    Mem32 00000000000a0000 0000000000020000 (@00)

    Model: 'PCI: 10de,f2.1554.1194.a2 - VGA compatible
    display adapter'
    Name: 'display'
    compatible: 'display' + 'pci10de,f2.1554.1194.a2' +
    'pci10de,f2.1554.1194' + 'pci1554,1194' + 'pci10de,f2.a2' + 'pci10de,f2'
    + 'pciclass,030000' + 'pciclass,0300'

    /Jörgen

  6. Re: Geforce 6600 driver hassles on Solaris 10 1/06

    kangcool wrote:
    > Also read the nvidia forums.
    >
    > Your card is not offical supported by the Nvidia drivers, but in the
    > forum it tell you how to get your card working.

    Thanks I'll take a look. Things don't look too good at the minute, since
    after installing the driver the system will not boot - except to the
    'failsafe' mode. It hangs after printing its hostname.

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

  7. Re: Geforce 6600 driver hassles on Solaris 10 1/06

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:

    > I'm trying to install Solaris 10 1/06 on PC with a Gigabyte GeForce 6600
    > graphics card. This is a 64-bit PC (Opteron 248).
    >
    > During the install it selects
    >
    > Video Device: Nvida Corporation GeForce 6600
    > Video Driver: XF86-NV
    > Resolution/Colours: 1024 x 768 256 Color @ &0 Hz.
    > Screen size: 17"
    >
    > Anyway, that lot simply does not work - the screen is a right mess.
    >
    > Changing the video driver to:
    >
    > Video Driver: XF86-VESA
    >
    > and setting the monitor size, resolution to more sensible values
    > (1600x1200 @ 60 Hz, 21"), gives me a nice GUI and I can install Solaris.
    >
    > The problem is, once installed, as soon the X server starts, so the
    > screen become unusable again. Having discovered the XF86-VESA driver
    > works during install, whereas the XF86-NV one did not, I assumed Solaris
    > would then use a workable driver. But needless to say I can't do much at
    > this point with it.
    >
    > Any suggestions on the best driver to use? I assume download one from
    > the Nvida site?

    I'm a newbie to the OpenSolaris world and had pretty much the same exact
    experience. During the install the VESA mode was usable but, alas, there
    was no permanent configuration for X installed and the subsequent reboot
    after successful install meant no X. I found that the xorgconfig text based
    script produced very close to a functional xorg.conf if the same VESA mode
    was used. This at least made X usable but unable to get out of VESA mode as
    the nv driver simply wouldn't work.

    I installed the NVIDIA drivers - with the caveat that I had to back up to
    the 8175 version I believe because I am still running snv_25. I suspect the
    8756 didn't work for me because it was compiled on later source. The manual
    changes to the xorg.conf were minimal at this stage. I manually placed a
    set of Horizsync and Vertrefresh lines that I knew worked from my FreeBSD
    box and changed the driver from VESA to nividia. I think I also poked in
    the BusID, but I'm sure this was required.

    Should probably mention my card is a PNY 6800GT AGP card on an old KD7A
    KT400A chipset mobo. The AGP port driver in FreeBSD did not support this
    AGP port but installing the NVIDIA driver allowed the use of NVIDIA's
    built-in AGP port driver. I've also seen this in the Xorg.0.log on the
    OpenSolaris box indicating its use. Perhaps the nv driver doesn't function
    on some hardwares for the same reason [agp port driver doesn't support
    particular hardware]. But the NVIDIA driver using it's built in AGP port
    driver and my 6800GT AGP card is working flawlessly here.

    -Jason

  8. Re: Geforce 6600 driver hassles on Solaris 10 1/06

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    > kangcool wrote:
    >
    >> Also read the nvidia forums.
    >>
    >> Your card is not offical supported by the Nvidia drivers, but in the
    >> forum it tell you how to get your card working.
    >>

    > Thanks I'll take a look. Things don't look too good at the minute, since
    > after installing the driver the system will not boot - except to the
    > 'failsafe' mode. It hangs after printing its hostname.

    I used one of these Gigabyte 6600 cards for a while (until it died)
    without any problems.

    After you install the nVidia driver, don't do anything with xorg.conf,
    let the driver detect your monitor.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  9. Re: Geforce 6600 driver hassles on Solaris 10 1/06

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    > kangcool wrote:
    >
    >> Also read the nvidia forums.
    >>
    >> Your card is not offical supported by the Nvidia drivers, but in the
    >> forum it tell you how to get your card working.
    >>

    > Thanks I'll take a look. Things don't look too good at the minute, since
    > after installing the driver the system will not boot - except to the
    > 'failsafe' mode. It hangs after printing its hostname.

    One thing, is the card AGP? If so, make sure you connect the power
    connector!

    --
    Ian Collins.

  10. Re: Geforce 6600 driver hassles on Solaris 10 1/06

    Ian Collins wrote:

    > One thing, is the card AGP? If so, make sure you connect the power
    > connector!

    No is PCI-Express.

    I've got the issue resolved now - see my earlier post for details.
    --
    Dave K MCSE.