Linux X86 programs on Solaris X86 - Solaris

This is a discussion on Linux X86 programs on Solaris X86 - Solaris ; How likely is it that I'll be able to get programs compiled for Linux X86 running on Solaris X86. I know UNIX and Linux are closely related, but I'm not sure on this. I have tried the program in question ...

  1. Linux X86 programs on Solaris X86

    How likely is it that I'll be able to get programs compiled for Linux X86
    running on Solaris X86.

    I know UNIX and Linux are closely related, but I'm not sure on this. I have
    tried the program in question and it doesn't seem to work, but maybe I'm
    missing something.

    Thanks,
    Mike

  2. Re: Linux X86 programs on Solaris X86

    Mike wrote:
    > How likely is it that I'll be able to get programs compiled for Linux X86
    > running on Solaris X86.
    >
    > I know UNIX and Linux are closely related, but I'm not sure on this. I have
    > tried the program in question and it doesn't seem to work, but maybe I'm
    > missing something.

    Have a look at http://opensolaris.org/os/community/brandz/ to see where
    this is going.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  3. Re: Linux X86 programs on Solaris X86

    Mike wrote:
    > How likely is it that I'll be able to get programs compiled for Linux X86
    > running on Solaris X86.

    If the author has stuck to published standards there is a good chance that a
    recompile is all that is needed.

    > I know UNIX and Linux are closely related, but I'm not sure on this. I have
    > tried the program in question and it doesn't seem to work, but maybe I'm
    > missing something.

    Many not so good programmers include Linux'isms in their code which make it
    more difficult than it need be.

    I find that most of the problems arise with badly written configure scripts
    rather than the application code itself. Many make presumptions about
    sh/bash, awk/nawk/gawk, cc/gcc that are not justified.

  4. Re: Linux X86 programs on Solaris X86

    On Sat, 20 May 2006, Mike wrote:

    > How likely is it that I'll be able to get programs compiled for Linux X86
    > running on Solaris X86.

    It's not necesssarily a huge problem, but your best bet would be to compile
    the programs on Solairs, so that they're natice SOlaris apps.

    > I know UNIX and Linux are closely related, but I'm not sure on this. I have
    > tried the program in question and it doesn't seem to work, but maybe I'm
    > missing something.

    Check out Lxrun or the more recent BrandZ stuff, which will let you run some
    Linux apps on SOlaris. Although its a useful facility, I think recompiling
    from source is the cleanest approach.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  5. Re: Linux X86 programs on Solaris X86

    On Sat, 20 May 2006 12:41:13 -0700, "Mike" wrote:

    >How likely is it that I'll be able to get programs compiled for Linux X86
    >running on Solaris X86.
    >
    >I know UNIX and Linux are closely related, but I'm not sure on this. I have
    >tried the program in question and it doesn't seem to work, but maybe I'm
    >missing something.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Mike

    Hi

    There is quite interesting article about this ...
    http://developers.sun.com/solaris/ar....html?feed=DSC

+ Reply to Thread