Cannot boot with X in Solaris express. - Solaris

This is a discussion on Cannot boot with X in Solaris express. - Solaris ; Hi all, I installed the solaris express in my pentium 4, 915 chipset with ATI radeon Xpress 200 series builtin card. The graphical installation went well. But after installation i cannot boot in Graphical mode. The screen just goes blank. ...

  1. Cannot boot with X in Solaris express.

    Hi all,
    I installed the solaris express in my pentium 4, 915 chipset with
    ATI radeon Xpress 200 series builtin card.
    The graphical installation went well. But after installation i
    cannot boot in Graphical mode. The screen just goes blank. What should
    i do?

    Thanks in Advance.
    Manish

  2. Re: Cannot boot with X in Solaris express.

    On Tue, 16 May 2006 11:58:39 -0700, Manish Regmi wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I installed the solaris express in my pentium 4, 915 chipset with
    > ATI radeon Xpress 200 series builtin card.
    > The graphical installation went well. But after installation i
    > cannot boot in Graphical mode. The screen just goes blank. What should
    > i do?

    run kdmconfig, select xorg and follow the instructions.

    Failing that, select Xsun which will probably get you up and working.

    Have noodle around http://www.opensolaris.org and

    This may be usefull

    http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thre...eID=6913&#6913

    --
    Bruce

    "The internet is a huge and diverse community and
    not every one is friendly"
    http://www.ytc1.co.uk

  3. Re: Cannot boot with X in Solaris express.

    Thanks, It worked.

    regards
    Manish

  4. Re: Cannot boot with X in Solaris express.

    On Wed, 17 May 2006 08:35:51 -0700, Manish Regmi wrote:

    > Thanks, It worked.

    Which bit ?

    Switching to Xsun or creating the xorg.conf

    --
    Bruce

    "The internet is a huge and diverse community and
    not every one is friendly"
    http://www.ytc1.co.uk

  5. Re: Cannot boot with X in Solaris express.

    switching to Xsun worked.

    regards
    Manish

  6. Re: Cannot boot with X in Solaris express.

    On Thu, 18 May 2006 09:52:46 -0700, Manish Regmi wrote:

    > switching to Xsun worked.

    Ok, but it is worth pursuing the Xorg config as that is "the future" and
    you will probably get a better resolution etc.

    --
    Bruce

    "The internet is a huge and diverse community and
    not every one is friendly"
    http://www.ytc1.co.uk

  7. Re: Cannot boot with X in Solaris express.

    On Thu, 18 May 2006 20:48:58 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Bruce Porter writes:
    >> On Thu, 18 May 2006 09:52:46 -0700, Manish Regmi wrote:
    >>
    >>> switching to Xsun worked.

    >> Ok, but it is worth pursuing the Xorg config as that is "the future" and
    >> you will probably get a better resolution etc.

    > It's going to have to be made to work much better, first.
    > It's been a dead loss on just about every system I've run
    > up Solaris on in the last year, and they are all running

    I must be priveledged :-)

    I am using it on SiS,Nvidea and rage

    --
    Bruce

    "The internet is a huge and diverse community and
    not every one is friendly"
    http://www.ytc1.co.uk

  8. Re: Cannot boot with X in Solaris express.

    andrew@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) writes in alt.solaris.x86:
    |It's going to have to be made to work much better, first.

    There is work going on there, but unless people report bugs, we
    can't fix them.

    |This is a comment I've heard from many others too in
    |conversations, just in case anyone's thinking of EOLing
    |Xsun in the near future.

    At this point the question is when, not if.

    --
    Alan Coopersmith * alanc@alum.calberkeley.org * Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM
    http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/ * http://people.freedesktop.org/~alanc/

  9. Re: Cannot boot with X in Solaris express.

    Alan Coopersmith wrote:

    > andrew@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) writes in alt.solaris.x86:
    > |It's going to have to be made to work much better, first.
    >
    > There is work going on there, but unless people report bugs, we
    > can't fix them.
    >
    > |This is a comment I've heard from many others too in
    > |conversations, just in case anyone's thinking of EOLing
    > |Xsun in the near future.
    >
    > At this point the question is when, not if.

    Then the _answer_ had better include something that works as well and as
    *simply* as kdmconfig, hmmm?

    That should be raised as an issue - "Xorg is nigh-on impossible for some
    of the fumble-fingered to configure."

    Just for completeness, I have been mucking up X configurations since the
    1980s, it seems to be something I just _cannot_ do.

    I've only been successful with the ones that just worked on install,
    with little or no configuration required. If I've had to muck around,
    I've usually given up and gotten someone else to take over, or settled
    for a small screen size at a slow refresh. Covers Xterms as well as
    consoles on various boxen.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  10. Re: Cannot boot with X in Solaris express.

    "Gary R. Schmidt" writes in alt.solaris.x86:
    |Then the _answer_ had better include something that works as well and as
    |*simply* as kdmconfig, hmmm?

    The desired goal is to autoconfigure whenever possible and leave config
    files tweaking as only needed for unusual situations. For those cases,
    we've got xorgconfig (if you like playing 20 questions and have all your
    specs handy) and added xorgcfg (tweaks the existing config) in S10U1.

    There were a couple of talks on this at the last X.Org developer's
    conference - people from both Red Hat & Sun gave presentations on work
    in progress that the entire X.Org community will benefit from.