SVOSUG - May meeting "call to arms" (moved to JavaOne) Tues. 5:30pm - Solaris

This is a discussion on SVOSUG - May meeting "call to arms" (moved to JavaOne) Tues. 5:30pm - Solaris ; Folks, can you hear Sherrif John singing... "Put another candle on the birthday cake, you're another year older today..." Well, that outta date me to growing up in California as kid, for any of you other natives that know who ...

  1. SVOSUG - May meeting "call to arms" (moved to JavaOne) Tues. 5:30pm

    Folks, can you hear Sherrif John singing...

    "Put another candle on the birthday cake, you're another year older
    today..." Well, that outta date me to growing up in California as kid,
    for any of you other natives that know who Sherrif John was...

    Anway, not only are we another year older, it's our first birthday so
    we are a year old!

    The Silicon Valley OpenSolaris Users Group has been going for a full
    year, the first meeting was in April of 2005, and we are going into our
    second year. Wow, did time ever fly by...this month also marked my 3rd
    year at Sun, and it is nothing short of amazing with the improvements
    that Solaris has taken on with S10, S10U1, SX, nevada, et al, there has
    been an incredible amount of technology put into Solaris.

    So, you may wonder, how could the SVOSUG have existed prior to June,
    2005 when OpenSolaris was announced? The reason is that SVOSUG was
    given an OK to use the name prior to the June announcement. Many of the
    Solaris engineers were anxious to help start our group, and we got a
    decent response from the existing community.

    Look at this page, we have 29 groups and counting!

    http://opensolaris.org/os/community/.../osug-leaders/

    Thanks to all of those folks who have put the effort into creating
    OpenSolaris user groups. Each and every one of you deserve a great deal
    of thanks for doing this, I certainly know it takes work.

    This month we're moving our meeting to JavaOne, as we have discussed at
    the past 2 meetings with favorable response in favor of holding it up
    in San Francisco for the JavaOne converence.

    This meeting should be a great event, and I hear there's a bloggers
    party downstairs at the same time, and a JDK "unbof" in the mezzanine
    upstairs. We will also be upstairs.

    We'll have stuff going on from 5:00pm-9:00pm, so come up, down, or
    sideways for a good time. We have presentation time from 5:30-6:45, and
    I would like to hear from other folks (leaders or community members) on
    what you all have learned? What can we all focus on better?

    Let's hear from others and get some ideas on where do we go from here?
    What can we do as a modern user group, and how can we innovate with
    each other globally. We seem to be lacking a way to tie our groups in
    with each other, and with todays technology I have to think we can do
    better than we currently are. I'd like to see more streaming media
    coverage of user group events, or in depth topics that we can share
    with everyone.

    If you are at JavaOne, or in the Bay area, please show up and help make
    a wish before we blow out the candles on our birthday cake! We're one
    year old now, we're actually walking!!!! (that does usually happen
    around 1 year...as many parents know...;-) And even if you don't want
    to walk, this could be a pub crawl in itself between the 3 events
    taking place at the Thirsty Bear!

    Here's directions to the Thirsty Bear, it's very close to Moscone
    Center, and there's parking on 3rd or 4th for $5 I've been told.
    Parking on the street is ok in the evening also as I recall.

    http://www.thirstybear.com/directions.html

  2. Re: SVOSUG - May meeting "call to arms" (moved to JavaOne) Tues. 5:30pm

    *** REMINDER ***

    If anyone is up in San Francisco tonight, it's the time to drop in at
    the Thirsty Bear...don't
    miss out on this triple pub crawl (you only need to crawl up and down
    stairs!) from 5:00pm - 9:00pm.

    05/16 - Tonight 5:00pm - 9:00pm, at the Thirsty Bear. Be there or be
    Thirsty Bear!

    We have a 5:30pm - 6:45 slot, but we'll be there after, joint us with
    the folks downstairs headed by Simon Phipps for the blogger's party,
    and the JDK "unBOF" and SVOSUG upstairs!

+ Reply to Thread