HELP PLEASE: UPS for Solaris 10 X86 - Solaris

This is a discussion on HELP PLEASE: UPS for Solaris 10 X86 - Solaris ; All, I am having no end of trouble finding a UPS that will work with Solaris 10 X86. I have looked at an APC unit and also one from Falcon UPS. My application is weird so let me explain. The ...

  1. HELP PLEASE: UPS for Solaris 10 X86

    All,

    I am having no end of trouble finding a UPS that will work with Solaris
    10 X86.

    I have looked at an APC unit and also one from Falcon UPS. My
    application is weird so let me explain.

    The system I am trying to hold up is basically a Solaris workstation (my
    company is running it on a Tyan motherboard). We have looked at almost
    all 3000VA units which are, for the most part, not really meant to be
    used on a workstation that will monitor/control itself. Most seem to
    want you to load an agent and then monitor the thing fro a Windows
    workstation via network.

    I need a GUI to allow user to monitor battery levels and set
    configuration parameters. Because of the nature of the apps we are
    running on top of Solaris, we need the software to be able to execute
    our custom shutdown script or program.

    So far I have looked at Lan-Safe 5, UPSilon for UNIX (text-based only),
    and loaded Power Alert from Tripplite (which does not run on Solaris 10
    X86).

    I have downloaded apcupsd-3.12.3.tar.gz which is an Open Source
    daemon/control software (AFAIK). I plan to look at it and see what it
    will do, but it makes more sense for us to get something off the shelf.

    Any ideas? Maybe any information about apcupsd-3.12.3.tar.gz??

    Thanks a bunch for any help.

    Regards,

    Ralph

  2. Re: HELP PLEASE: UPS for Solaris 10 X86

    On Thu, 11 May 2006 01:07:54 +0000, Ralph H. Stoos Jr. wrote:

    > I am having no end of trouble finding a UPS that will work with Solaris
    > 10 X86.

    http://www.riello-ups.com/downloadDe...age=eng&dwns=1

    There's one. I've not used it myself nor do I know if it does what you
    need.

    James.

  3. Re: HELP PLEASE: UPS for Solaris 10 X86

    In article ,
    Ralph H. Stoos Jr. wrote:
    >used on a workstation that will monitor/control itself. Most seem to
    >want you to load an agent and then monitor the thing fro a Windows
    >workstation via network.

    Please complain to APC. Its goofy that they haven't certified
    their Java agent on Solaris 10 x86/x64 and that they require
    IE for their web management interface.

    >I have downloaded apcupsd-3.12.3.tar.gz which is an Open Source
    >daemon/control software (AFAIK). I plan to look at it and see what it
    >will do, but it makes more sense for us to get something off the shelf.

    I use apcupsd in a standalone fashion. As of few years ago the developers
    were trying to give it a network interface which you might be able
    to use for your application.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  4. Re: HELP PLEASE: UPS for Solaris 10 X86

    Ralph H. Stoos Jr. wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I am having no end of trouble finding a UPS that will work with Solaris
    > 10 X86.
    >
    > I have looked at an APC unit and also one from Falcon UPS. My
    > application is weird so let me explain.

    APC ia always a few years late in their Solaris Support
    It was the same story with Solaris 9.,

    //Lars

  5. Re: HELP PLEASE: UPS for Solaris 10 X86

    Ralph H. Stoos Jr. wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I am having no end of trouble finding a UPS that will work with Solaris
    > 10 X86.
    >
    > I have looked at an APC unit and also one from Falcon UPS. My
    > application is weird so let me explain.

    Some years ago I used PowerWare/Invensys UPSes. They had software support
    for every unix we had. It's likely they support Solaris too.

    They were far superior to anything APC peddled.

  6. Re: HELP PLEASE: UPS for Solaris 10 X86

    Hello Cydrome,

    Cydrome Leader schrieb/wrote:

    > Ralph H. Stoos Jr. wrote:
    >> All,
    >>
    >> I am having no end of trouble finding a UPS that will work with Solaris
    >> 10 X86.
    >>
    >> I have looked at an APC unit and also one from Falcon UPS. My
    >> application is weird so let me explain.

    > Some years ago I used PowerWare/Invensys UPSes. They had software support
    > for every unix we had. It's likely they support Solaris too.
    >
    > They were far superior to anything APC peddled.

    When using APC, take a look at .

    Regards,
    Christian
    --