Multi-Boot WinXP, Solaris 9, Solaris 10 - Solaris

This is a discussion on Multi-Boot WinXP, Solaris 9, Solaris 10 - Solaris ; I'm trying to setup multiboot with these three systems. I've got XP on the first partition and Solaris on the second. Dual boot is fine with XP + Solaris 9, but then when I install Solaris 10 (following these directions): ...

  1. Multi-Boot WinXP, Solaris 9, Solaris 10

    I'm trying to setup multiboot with these three systems. I've got XP on the
    first partition and Solaris on the second. Dual boot is fine with XP +
    Solaris 9, but then when I install Solaris 10 (following these directions):

    http://access1.sun.com/technotes/00651.html

    I can only boot XP and Solaris 10. I know the slice with Solaris 9 was
    preserved because it is mounted and I can see it from within Solaris 10 (I
    changed it's mount point in Solaris10 to "/solaris9" during setup because it
    said I had to chage it from "/" in order to preserve it)

    Part-II in the directions at the link haven't been carried out because
    there's no way I can find to get an OK prompt and entering devalias or
    nvalias at other prompts just gets "not found" errors.

    Grub does have an entry for Sol9 in the menu after Sol10 setup, but choosing
    it just returns you to the grub menu after a few seconds of black screen.
    I've researched grub and tried the following entrires to boot Sol9 with
    either the same result or an "invalid or unspported executable format"
    error. (note: slice0 = sol9, slice 1=swap, slice 4=sol10)

    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    chainloader +1
    <>

    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

    rootnoverify (hd0,1,a)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1
    boot

    I've also tried all different combinations of those entires (i.e. boot,
    without chainloader, etc., etc.)

    Anyone else run into this?

    Thanks,
    Mike

  2. Re: Multi-Boot WinXP, Solaris 9, Solaris 10

    On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 15:53:52 -0700, "Mike" wrote:

    >I'm trying to setup multiboot with these three systems. I've got XP on the
    >first partition and Solaris on the second. Dual boot is fine with XP +
    >Solaris 9, but then when I install Solaris 10 (following these directions):
    >
    >http://access1.sun.com/technotes/00651.html

    These instructions are for SPARC.

    >I can only boot XP and Solaris 10. I know the slice with Solaris 9 was
    >preserved because it is mounted and I can see it from within Solaris 10 (I
    >changed it's mount point in Solaris10 to "/solaris9" during setup because it
    >said I had to chage it from "/" in order to preserve it)
    >
    >Part-II in the directions at the link haven't been carried out because
    >there's no way I can find to get an OK prompt and entering devalias or
    >nvalias at other prompts just gets "not found" errors.

    Nope. Not on x86. "OK" is a SPARC Open Boot Prom thing.

    >Grub does have an entry for Sol9 in the menu after Sol10 setup, but choosing
    >it just returns you to the grub menu after a few seconds of black screen.
    >I've researched grub and tried the following entrires to boot Sol9 with
    >either the same result or an "invalid or unspported executable format"
    >error. (note: slice0 = sol9, slice 1=swap, slice 4=sol10)
    >
    >rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    >chainloader +1
    ><>
    >
    >rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    >makeactive
    >chainloader +1
    >
    >rootnoverify (hd0,1,a)
    >makeactive
    >chainloader +1
    >boot
    >
    >I've also tried all different combinations of those entires (i.e. boot,
    >without chainloader, etc., etc.)

    Seems like you should be able to chainload to the S9 boot loader.
    What's your disk layout?

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  3. Re: Multi-Boot WinXP, Solaris 9, Solaris 10

    Disk Layout:

    Partition one: NTFS - WinXP
    Partiton two: UFS - Solaris
    slice0: Solaris 9
    slice1: swap
    slice4: Solaris 10

    from format->verify in solaris 10 I get this:

    format> verify
    Warning: Could not read backup labels.

    Warning: Check the current partitioning and 'label' the disk or use the
    'backup' command.

    Primary label contents:

    Volume name = < >
    ascii name =
    pcyl = 5202
    ncyl = 5200
    acyl = 2
    bcyl = 0
    nhead = 64
    nsect = 63
    Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks
    0 root wm 4216 - 8124 7.52GB (3909/0/0) 15761088
    1 swap wu 3 - 307 600.47MB (305/0/0) 1229760
    2 backup wm 0 - 8124 15.62GB (8125/0/0) 32760000
    3 unassigned wm 0 0 (0/0/0) 0
    4 root wm 308 - 4215 7.51GB (3908/0/0) 15757056
    5 unassigned wm 0 0 (0/0/0) 0
    6 unassigned wm 0 0 (0/0/0) 0
    7 unassigned wm 0 0 (0/0/0) 0
    8 boot wu 0 - 0 1.97MB (1/0/0) 4032
    9 alternates wu 1 - 2 3.94MB (2/0/0) 8064

    Thanks,
    Mike

    "Bill Waddington" wrote in message
    > On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 15:53:52 -0700, "Mike" wrote:
    >
    >>I'm trying to setup multiboot with these three systems. I've got XP on the
    >>first partition and Solaris on the second. Dual boot is fine with XP +
    >>Solaris 9, but then when I install Solaris 10 (following these
    >>directions):
    >>
    >>http://access1.sun.com/technotes/00651.html

    > These instructions are for SPARC.
    >
    >>I can only boot XP and Solaris 10. I know the slice with Solaris 9 was
    >>preserved because it is mounted and I can see it from within Solaris 10 (I
    >>changed it's mount point in Solaris10 to "/solaris9" during setup because
    >>it
    >>said I had to chage it from "/" in order to preserve it)
    >>
    >>Part-II in the directions at the link haven't been carried out because
    >>there's no way I can find to get an OK prompt and entering devalias or
    >>nvalias at other prompts just gets "not found" errors.

    > Nope. Not on x86. "OK" is a SPARC Open Boot Prom thing.
    >
    >>Grub does have an entry for Sol9 in the menu after Sol10 setup, but
    >>choosing
    >>it just returns you to the grub menu after a few seconds of black screen.
    >>I've researched grub and tried the following entrires to boot Sol9 with
    >>either the same result or an "invalid or unspported executable format"
    >>error. (note: slice0 = sol9, slice 1=swap, slice 4=sol10)
    >>
    >>rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    >>chainloader +1
    >><>
    >>
    >>rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    >>makeactive
    >>chainloader +1
    >>
    >>rootnoverify (hd0,1,a)
    >>makeactive
    >>chainloader +1
    >>boot
    >>
    >>I've also tried all different combinations of those entires (i.e. boot,
    >>without chainloader, etc., etc.)

    > Seems like you should be able to chainload to the S9 boot loader.
    > What's your disk layout?
    >
    > Bill
    > --
    > William D Waddington
    > william.waddington@beezmo.com
    > "Even bugs...are unexpected signposts on
    > the long road of creativity..." - Ken Burtch

  4. Re: Multi-Boot WinXP, Solaris 9, Solaris 10

    [edited to fix top posting]

    On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 17:24:34 -0700, "Mike" wrote:

    >"Bill Waddington" wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 15:53:52 -0700, "Mike" wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm trying to setup multiboot with these three systems. I've got XP on the
    >>>first partition and Solaris on the second. Dual boot is fine with XP +
    >>>Solaris 9, but then when I install Solaris 10 (following these
    >>>directions):
    >>>
    >>>http://access1.sun.com/technotes/00651.html

    >> These instructions are for SPARC.
    >>
    >>>I can only boot XP and Solaris 10. I know the slice with Solaris 9 was
    >>>preserved because it is mounted and I can see it from within Solaris 10 (I
    >>>changed it's mount point in Solaris10 to "/solaris9" during setup because
    >>>it
    >>>said I had to chage it from "/" in order to preserve it)
    >>>
    >>>Part-II in the directions at the link haven't been carried out because
    >>>there's no way I can find to get an OK prompt and entering devalias or
    >>>nvalias at other prompts just gets "not found" errors.

    >> Nope. Not on x86. "OK" is a SPARC Open Boot Prom thing.
    >>
    >>>Grub does have an entry for Sol9 in the menu after Sol10 setup, but
    >>>choosing
    >>>it just returns you to the grub menu after a few seconds of black screen.
    >>>I've researched grub and tried the following entrires to boot Sol9 with
    >>>either the same result or an "invalid or unspported executable format"
    >>>error. (note: slice0 = sol9, slice 1=swap, slice 4=sol10)
    >>>
    >>>rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    >>>chainloader +1
    >>><>
    >>>
    >>>rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    >>>makeactive
    >>>chainloader +1
    >>>
    >>>rootnoverify (hd0,1,a)
    >>>makeactive
    >>>chainloader +1
    >>>boot
    >>>
    >>>I've also tried all different combinations of those entires (i.e. boot,
    >>>without chainloader, etc., etc.)

    >> Seems like you should be able to chainload to the S9 boot loader.
    >> What's your disk layout?

    >Disk Layout:
    >
    >Partition one: NTFS - WinXP
    >Partiton two: UFS - Solaris
    > slice0: Solaris 9
    > slice1: swap
    > slice4: Solaris 10

    Yikes. Sorry but I'm not going to be able to help you with this one.
    I didn't spot your previous description of your "slices".

    When I put multiple versions of Solaris on an x86 system I put them
    in separate primary partitions and just chanload their boot sector
    loaders from from my main boot loader.

    No idea how you would boot your setup. Have you tried (hd0,1,e) ?

    Clueless on this one. Sorry about the noise.

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  5. Re: Multi-Boot WinXP, Solaris 9, Solaris 10

    On Mon, 01 May 2006 07:04:00 -0700, Bill Waddington
    wrote:

    [ a bunch of unhelpful blather from wdw]

    >>Disk Layout:
    >>
    >>Partition one: NTFS - WinXP
    >>Partiton two: UFS - Solaris
    >> slice0: Solaris 9
    >> slice1: swap
    >> slice4: Solaris 10

    >Yikes. Sorry but I'm not going to be able to help you with this one.
    >I didn't spot your previous description of your "slices".
    >
    >When I put multiple versions of Solaris on an x86 system I put them
    >in separate primary partitions and just chanload their boot sector
    >loaders from from my main boot loader.
    >
    >No idea how you would boot your setup. Have you tried (hd0,1,e) ?

    Nertz. (hd0,1,e) is sol 10 like you said. Repeat to self: "read
    twice, post once".

    Like I said, sorry about the noise. I leave this to somone who
    knows WTF they are talking about.

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  6. Re: Multi-Boot WinXP, Solaris 9, Solaris 10

    > On Mon, 01 May 2006 07:04:00 -0700, Bill Waddington
    > wrote:
    >
    > [ a bunch of unhelpful blather from wdw]
    >
    >>>Disk Layout:
    >>>
    >>>Partition one: NTFS - WinXP
    >>>Partiton two: UFS - Solaris
    >>> slice0: Solaris 9
    >>> slice1: swap
    >>> slice4: Solaris 10

    >>Yikes. Sorry but I'm not going to be able to help you with this one.
    >>I didn't spot your previous description of your "slices".
    >>
    >>When I put multiple versions of Solaris on an x86 system I put them
    >>in separate primary partitions and just chanload their boot sector
    >>loaders from from my main boot loader.
    >>
    >>No idea how you would boot your setup. Have you tried (hd0,1,e) ?

    > Nertz. (hd0,1,e) is sol 10 like you said. Repeat to self: "read
    > twice, post once".
    >
    > Like I said, sorry about the noise. I leave this to somone who
    > knows WTF they are talking about.
    >
    > Bill
    > --
    > William D Waddington
    > william.waddington@beezmo.com
    > "Even bugs...are unexpected signposts on
    > the long road of creativity..." - Ken Burtch

    I'd prefer fixing this the way it is if someone knows how. Meanwhile, Bill,
    are you saying that if I use partition magic to make to multiple primary
    partitions and install each version on a separate partition that GRUB should
    then be able to boot them without much modification?

    -Mike

  7. Re: Multi-Boot WinXP, Solaris 9, Solaris 10

    On Mon, 1 May 2006 09:54:37 -0700, "Mike" wrote:

    >"Bill Waddington" wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 01 May 2006 07:04:00 -0700, Bill Waddington
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> [ a bunch of unhelpful blather from wdw]

    >>>Yikes. Sorry but I'm not going to be able to help you with this one.
    >>>I didn't spot your previous description of your "slices".
    >>>
    >>>When I put multiple versions of Solaris on an x86 system I put them
    >>>in separate primary partitions and just chanload their boot sector
    >>>loaders from from my main boot loader.
    >>>
    >>>No idea how you would boot your setup. Have you tried (hd0,1,e) ?

    >> Nertz. (hd0,1,e) is sol 10 like you said. Repeat to self: "read
    >> twice, post once".
    >>
    >> Like I said, sorry about the noise. I leave this to somone who
    >> knows WTF they are talking about.
    >>
    >> Bill

    >I'd prefer fixing this the way it is if someone knows how. Meanwhile, Bill,
    >are you saying that if I use partition magic to make to multiple primary
    >partitions and install each version on a separate partition that GRUB should
    >then be able to boot them without much modification?

    Yes. You would chainload all the OSs except the one that created
    the grub menu (presumably Sol 10) which will boot its kernel directly.

    I don't currently have Sol 9 multibooting with Sol 10, but I do have
    Sol 10 and Sol 11 on the same machine. I create the primary
    partitions and manage booting with System Commander. It can be
    a little fussy about booting Solaris. Grub should work fine as the
    boot manager.

    My approach would be use partition magic or maybe Linux fdisk from
    a Linux CD in rescue mode to create all the primary partitions (after
    resizing the existing Win XP parition ??), install Sol9 then Sol 10.
    The Sol 10 install may complain about the existing Solaris
    installation, so you may have to hide the Sol 9 partition by changing
    its ID while installing Solaris 10. You would then add Sol 9 to
    your grub menu and chainload it along with XP.

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  8. Re: Multi-Boot WinXP, Solaris 9, Solaris 10

    On Mon, 1 May 2006 09:54:37 -0700, "Mike" wrote:

    >"Bill Waddington" wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 01 May 2006 07:04:00 -0700, Bill Waddington
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> [ a bunch of unhelpful blather from wdw]

    >>>Yikes. Sorry but I'm not going to be able to help you with this one.
    >>>I didn't spot your previous description of your "slices".
    >>>
    >>>When I put multiple versions of Solaris on an x86 system I put them
    >>>in separate primary partitions and just chanload their boot sector
    >>>loaders from from my main boot loader.
    >>>
    >>>No idea how you would boot your setup. Have you tried (hd0,1,e) ?

    >> Nertz. (hd0,1,e) is sol 10 like you said. Repeat to self: "read
    >> twice, post once".
    >>
    >> Like I said, sorry about the noise. I leave this to somone who
    >> knows WTF they are talking about.
    >>
    >> Bill
    >> --
    >> William D Waddington
    >> william.waddington@beezmo.com
    >> "Even bugs...are unexpected signposts on
    >> the long road of creativity..." - Ken Burtch

    >I'd prefer fixing this the way it is if someone knows how. Meanwhile, Bill,
    >are you saying that if I use partition magic to make to multiple primary
    >partitions and install each version on a separate partition that GRUB should
    >then be able to boot them without much modification?

    In case you haven't spotted it yet, Sun has a multiboot w/grub doc
    for x86:

    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817...3?a=view#fxjig

    Have a look at the section:

    x86: How Multiple Operating Systems Are Supported in the GRUB Boot
    Environment

    It makes it look like what you have already tried should work - ??

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  9. Re: Multi-Boot WinXP, Solaris 9, Solaris 10

    Użytkownik Bill Waddington napisał:
    > On Mon, 1 May 2006 09:54:37 -0700, "Mike" wrote:
    > I don't currently have Sol 9 multibooting with Sol 10, but I do have
    > Sol 10 and Sol 11 on the same machine. I create the primary

    Well , I can confirm that it works.
    I have multiboot with Aurox Linux, Solaris 9 and Solaris 10, each in own
    primary partition. My method is similar to that You have described.

    HTH

    Andrzej

+ Reply to Thread