change zone hostname - Solaris

This is a discussion on change zone hostname - Solaris ; How do you change the hostname of a non-global zone in solaris 10?...

  1. change zone hostname

    How do you change the hostname of a non-global zone in solaris 10?

  2. Re: change zone hostname

    Cydrome Leader a écrit :
    > How do you change the hostname of a non-global zone in solaris 10?

    The same way you change it on a global zone, or on older versions
    of Solaris.

    There is nothing specific that I'm aware about zones hostnames.

  3. Re: change zone hostname

    Jean-Louis Liagre wrote:
    > Cydrome Leader a ?crit :
    >> How do you change the hostname of a non-global zone in solaris 10?

    > The same way you change it on a global zone, or on older versions
    > of Solaris.
    >
    > There is nothing specific that I'm aware about zones hostnames.

    I've altered /etc/hosts and rebooted and the old hostname comes back.
    I cannot figure out where it's even grabbing the one one from.

  4. Re: change zone hostname

    Cydrome Leader a écrit :
    > Jean-Louis Liagre wrote:
    >
    >>Cydrome Leader a ?crit :
    >>
    >>>How do you change the hostname of a non-global zone in solaris 10?

    >>The same way you change it on a global zone, or on older versions
    >>of Solaris.
    >>
    >>There is nothing specific that I'm aware about zones hostnames.

    > I've altered /etc/hosts and rebooted and the old hostname comes back.
    > I cannot figure out where it's even grabbing the one one from.

    /etc/hosts doesn't change the hostname, whether on a zone or not.

    /etc/nodename, /etc/hostname. are the place where the
    hostname is picked.

    sys-unconfig can be used to reset a system configuration.

  5. Re: change zone hostname

    Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > How do you change the hostname of a non-global zone in solaris 10?

    solved:

    I had to edit /etc/nodename

    So, sun.com is the wrong place to be looking for helpful information.

  6. Re: change zone hostname

    Cydrome Leader a écrit :
    > Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >
    >>How do you change the hostname of a non-global zone in solaris 10?

    > solved:
    >
    > I had to edit /etc/nodename
    >
    > So, sun.com is the wrong place to be looking for helpful information.

    Well, may be are you a part of the problem.

    Going to docs.sun.com and searching "Solaris 10 change hostname" lead
    to the system administration manual, then it's quite easy to locate
    chapter 12:
    "Displaying and Changing System Information"
    "Changing System Information"
    "How to change a System's host name"

  7. Re: change zone hostname

    Jean-Louis Liagre wrote:
    > Cydrome Leader a ?crit :
    >> Jean-Louis Liagre wrote:
    >>
    >>>Cydrome Leader a ?crit :

    >>>The same way you change it on a global zone, or on older versions
    >>>of Solaris.
    >>>
    >>>There is nothing specific that I'm aware about zones hostnames.

    >> I've altered /etc/hosts and rebooted and the old hostname comes back.
    >> I cannot figure out where it's even grabbing the one one from.
    >>

    > /etc/hosts doesn't change the hostname, whether on a zone or not.
    >
    > /etc/nodename, /etc/hostname. are the place where the
    > hostname is picked.

    There are no hostname interface files in a zone.

    > sys-unconfig can be used to reset a system configuration.

    What an ugly way to change a setting.

  8. Re: change zone hostname

    Jean-Louis Liagre wrote:
    > Cydrome Leader a ?crit :
    >> Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >>
    >>>How do you change the hostname of a non-global zone in solaris 10?

    >> solved:
    >>
    >> I had to edit /etc/nodename
    >>
    >> So, sun.com is the wrong place to be looking for helpful information.

    > Well, may be are you a part of the problem.

    I am the problem. When I wrote the hostname man page for solaris 10, I
    decided not to reference anything about where initial hostnames are set.

    > Going to docs.sun.com and searching "Solaris 10 change hostname" lead
    > to the system administration manual, then it's quite easy to locate
    > chapter 12:

    That's funny, I get this: