Turning off sendmail - Solaris

This is a discussion on Turning off sendmail - Solaris ; If I want to remove sendmail from my Solaris 10 x86 boxes will #svcadm disable network/smtp:sendmail be sufficient TIA PAUL...

  1. Turning off sendmail

    If I want to remove sendmail from my Solaris 10 x86 boxes will
    #svcadm disable network/smtp:sendmail
    be sufficient

    TIA PAUL

  2. Re: Turning off sendmail

    Hello Paul,

    Paul Johnston schrieb/wrote:

    > If I want to remove sendmail from my Solaris 10 x86 boxes will
    > #svcadm disable network/smtp:sendmail
    > be sufficient

    Why don't you give it a try?
    Just fire the command and then do a check with telnet to port 25 of
    your machine.

    Regards,
    Christian
    --
    Christian Schmidt | Germany | ChriSchmiLi@gmx.de
    No HTML Mails, please!!

  3. Re: Turning off sendmail

    On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 14:48:43 +0200, Christian Schmidt
    wrote:

    >Hello Paul,
    >
    >Paul Johnston schrieb/wrote:
    >
    >> If I want to remove sendmail from my Solaris 10 x86 boxes will
    >> #svcadm disable network/smtp:sendmail
    >> be sufficient

    >Why don't you give it a try?
    >Just fire the command and then do a check with telnet to port 25 of
    >your machine.

    That's what I did and I know running ps -eaf shows sendmail is not
    runnning. Sorry for not making it clearer but was wondering if it was
    the "right" way to do it. :-)
    I havn't used Solaris for several years and belive svcadm is new to
    Solaris 10, well its new to me.
    Paul

  4. Re: Turning off sendmail

    Hello Paul,

    Paul Johnston schrieb/wrote:

    > On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 14:48:43 +0200, Christian Schmidt
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hello Paul,
    >>
    >>Paul Johnston schrieb/wrote:
    >>
    >>> If I want to remove sendmail from my Solaris 10 x86 boxes will
    >>> #svcadm disable network/smtp:sendmail
    >>> be sufficient

    >>Why don't you give it a try?
    >>Just fire the command and then do a check with telnet to port 25 of
    >>your machine.
    >>

    > That's what I did and I know running ps -eaf shows sendmail is not
    > runnning.

    My hint meant almost the same: Verify that there is no more sendmail
    running by checking if you can get a connection on 127.0.0.1:25.

    > Sorry for not making it clearer but was wondering if it was
    > the "right" way to do it. :-)
    > I havn't used Solaris for several years and belive svcadm is new to
    > Solaris 10, well its new to me.

    You're right: The Service Management Framework (SMF) came up with
    Solaris 10.

    Yours,
    Christian
    --
    Christian Schmidt | Germany | ChriSchmiLi@gmx.de
    No HTML Mails, please!!
    De eene hett 'n Rittergut, de annere ritt 'n Gitter rut.

  5. Re: Turning off sendmail

    On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Paul Johnston wrote:

    > If I want to remove sendmail from my Solaris 10 x86 boxes will
    > #svcadm disable network/smtp:sendmail
    > be sufficient

    Well, technically, that command will disable sendmail, not remove it.
    If you want to actually remove it from the machine entirely, you'll
    have to remove the appropriate packages.

    HTH,

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  6. Re: Turning off sendmail

    Christian Schmidt wrote:
    > Paul Johnston schrieb/wrote:
    >> That's what I did and I know running ps -eaf shows sendmail is not
    >> runnning.

    > My hint meant almost the same: Verify that there is no more sendmail
    > running by checking if you can get a connection on 127.0.0.1:25.

    This way your machine also won't be able to send mail (or clean up the local
    mail queue if there network problems). If you don't want the machine be able
    to receive mail, but it should be able to send mail out a better solution
    would be:

    Create or modify the file /etc/default/sendmail. Add or edit the following
    line:

    OPTIONS=-ODaemonPortOptions=Addr=localhost

    This way the daemon will only listen on the loopback interface. Then the
    above test doesn't work any more. Instead check with a telnet connection
    on the public interface:

    % telnet `uname -n` smtp

    --
    Daniel