Number of V20z and V40z machines sold? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Number of V20z and V40z machines sold? - Solaris ; Hi all, Does anyone know of a ballpark number? Have sales slipped as a result of the Galaxy line? I'm curious because the Galaxy machines are totally inappropriate for my application, but the V40z fits very nicely. Thanks, Dave...

  1. Number of V20z and V40z machines sold?

    Hi all,

    Does anyone know of a ballpark number?

    Have sales slipped as a result of the Galaxy line? I'm curious
    because the Galaxy machines are totally inappropriate for my
    application, but the V40z fits very nicely.

    Thanks,
    Dave

  2. Re: Number of V20z and V40z machines sold?

    In article ,
    Dave Littell wrote:
    >Does anyone know of a ballpark number?

    There's a conference call with analysts this afternoon. I vaguely
    recall hearing total numbers of x86/x64 server systems shipped at
    previous calls but not their breakdowns by model.

    >Have sales slipped as a result of the Galaxy line? I'm curious
    >because the Galaxy machines are totally inappropriate for my
    >application, but the V40z fits very nicely.

    Perhaps the upcoming Galaxy systems will fill your needs.

    What are your needs? More internal disk or card expansion?

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  3. Re: Number of V20z and V40z machines sold?

    John D Groenveld wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Dave Littell wrote:
    >
    >>Does anyone know of a ballpark number?

    > There's a conference call with analysts this afternoon. I vaguely
    > recall hearing total numbers of x86/x64 server systems shipped at
    > previous calls but not their breakdowns by model.
    >

    >>Have sales slipped as a result of the Galaxy line? I'm curious
    >>because the Galaxy machines are totally inappropriate for my
    >>application, but the V40z fits very nicely.

    > Perhaps the upcoming Galaxy systems will fill your needs.

    Did they figure out that PCI-E isn't the end-all be-all? ;-)

    > What are your needs? More internal disk or card expansion?

    Hi John,

    Removable disks are a requirement, but support for multiple slots
    with PCI/PCI-X is an absolute requirement. I have far too many
    "special" hardware interfaces that can't/won't be migrated. Even
    the V40z's requirement for 3.3 V PCI signaling created problems I
    would have preferred to avoid.

    Thanks,
    Dave

  4. Re: Number of V20z and V40z machines sold?

    In article ,
    Dave Littell wrote:
    >John D Groenveld wrote:
    >> In article ,
    >> Dave Littell wrote:

    >Did they figure out that PCI-E isn't the end-all be-all? ;-)

    The X4100/X4200 has PCI-X not PCI-E.

    >> What are your needs? More internal disk or card expansion?

    >Hi John,
    >
    >Removable disks are a requirement, but support for multiple slots
    >with PCI/PCI-X is an absolute requirement. I have far too many

    The X4200 has four removable hard drives.
    For CPU expansion beyond two slots the V40z is still sold.

    /Regards
    Fredrik
    --
    Fredrik Lundholm
    dol @ ce.chalmers.se

  5. Re: Number of V20z and V40z machines sold?

    Fredrik Lundholm wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Dave Littell wrote:
    >
    >>John D Groenveld wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article ,
    >>>Dave Littell wrote:

    >>Did they figure out that PCI-E isn't the end-all be-all? ;-)

    > The X4100/X4200 has PCI-X not PCI-E.

    D'oh! Guess that'll teach me to read closer! (Probably not, but
    that would be the hope ;-)

    Thanks,
    Dave

  6. Re: Number of V20z and V40z machines sold?

    In article ,
    Dave Littell wrote:
    >D'oh! Guess that'll teach me to read closer! (Probably not, but
    >that would be the hope ;-)

    Somewhere in my office are notes from a NDA presentation on the
    PCI roadmap for Sun's Galaxy and Niagara systems.

    Talk to your salescritter.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

+ Reply to Thread