systems crashes on boot - Solaris

This is a discussion on systems crashes on boot - Solaris ; I have a solaris 10 system that insta-crashes on boot. It was rebooted to apply some patches from the update manager, and has not recovered. I was able to grab a screen from cap from a HP ILO card. I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. systems crashes on boot

    I have a solaris 10 system that insta-crashes on boot. It was rebooted
    to apply some patches from the update manager, and has not recovered.

    I was able to grab a screen from cap from a HP ILO card. I booted the
    sytem with the -s flag in grub hoping it would help, but it didn't

    Link is of a small GIF showing the console. The server then instantly reboots.

    Any ideas?

    http://www.panix.com/~presence/egg-crash.GIF

  2. Re: systems crashes on boot

    Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > I have a solaris 10 system that insta-crashes on boot. It was rebooted
    > to apply some patches from the update manager, and has not recovered.
    >
    > I was able to grab a screen from cap from a HP ILO card. I booted the
    > sytem with the -s flag in grub hoping it would help, but it didn't
    >
    > Link is of a small GIF showing the console. The server then instantly reboots.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > http://www.panix.com/~presence/egg-crash.GIF

    have you tried booting with your nic attached to a switch. As you can
    see, the crash is caused in iprb which complains about the link being
    down, just before the panic. Maybe this could be the reason.

    If this doesn't work, I suggest upgrading to Solaris 10 1/06. IIRC, this
    comes with a newer kernel revision and should solve your booting problem.

    If you don't want to do that, boot from your Solaris 10 3/05 cd/dvd,
    mount your root filesystem, backout 118844-30 and shutdown the system.
    Then you should be able to boot with your older kernel revision. If this
    works, I would still think about patching the system with 118844-30 and
    then adding the kernel rejuvenation patch (I don't know if you need a
    contract for this one).

    HTH,
    Tom

  3. Re: systems crashes on boot

    Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    > Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >> I have a solaris 10 system that insta-crashes on boot. It was rebooted
    >> to apply some patches from the update manager, and has not recovered.
    >>
    >> I was able to grab a screen from cap from a HP ILO card. I booted the
    >> sytem with the -s flag in grub hoping it would help, but it didn't
    >>
    >> Link is of a small GIF showing the console. The server then instantly reboots.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> http://www.panix.com/~presence/egg-crash.GIF

    > have you tried booting with your nic attached to a switch. As you can
    > see, the crash is caused in iprb which complains about the link being
    > down, just before the panic. Maybe this could be the reason.

    I did try this later on (what is this, a VAX?) but it didn't help. The
    machine itself is 1/06 install. The same card the Intel dual port pro/100B
    card works fine in an similar server with the 3/05 install just fine.

    Removing the card completely allows the machine to boot up and function
    correctly. I'll have to test the card in another box, or find an alternate
    card to test in the crashing machine.

    > If this doesn't work, I suggest upgrading to Solaris 10 1/06. IIRC, this
    > comes with a newer kernel revision and should solve your booting problem.
    >
    > If you don't want to do that, boot from your Solaris 10 3/05 cd/dvd,
    > mount your root filesystem, backout 118844-30 and shutdown the system.
    > Then you should be able to boot with your older kernel revision. If this
    > works, I would still think about patching the system with 118844-30 and
    > then adding the kernel rejuvenation patch (I don't know if you need a
    > contract for this one).

    I guess the next question is, how can I have a crashing box wait for a prompt
    before rebooting? Playing with alt-prtsc in windows though a virtual console
    is a completely bogus way of capturing an error. Can the system console be left
    active while logging all output to a serial port?

  4. Re: systems crashes on boot

    On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 03:23:46 +0000, Cydrome Leader wrote:

    > I have a solaris 10 system that insta-crashes on boot. It was rebooted
    > to apply some patches from the update manager, and has not recovered.
    >
    > I was able to grab a screen from cap from a HP ILO card. I booted the
    > sytem with the -s flag in grub hoping it would help, but it didn't
    >
    > Link is of a small GIF showing the console. The server then instantly reboots.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > http://www.panix.com/~presence/egg-crash.GIF

    Have you tried a failsafe boot ?

    kernel /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -s
    module /boot/x86.miniroot-safe

    --
    Bruce

    "The internet is a huge and diverse community and
    not every one is friendly"
    http://www.ytc1.co.uk

  5. Re: systems crashes on boot

    "Bruce Porter" wrote:

    > I have a solaris 10 system that insta-crashes on boot. It was rebooted
    > to apply some patches from the update manager, and has not recovered.

    -------------snip--------------

    I too have bad luck with this ****. Considering the chaos on Sun's website I
    can't imagine how it would be possible on their part to distribute a decent
    product. Junk junk, junk..................................

  6. Re: systems crashes on boot

    GreyCloud wrote:
    > Jo wrote:
    >
    >> "Bruce Porter" wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have a solaris 10 system that insta-crashes on boot. It was rebooted
    >>>to apply some patches from the update manager, and has not recovered.

    >> -------------snip--------------
    >>
    >> I too have bad luck with this ****. Considering the chaos on Sun's website I
    >> can't imagine how it would be possible on their part to distribute a decent
    >> product. Junk junk, junk..................................
    >>

    > I noticed that Sun now has a new CEO. It has been rumoured that the new
    > CEO will layoff about 27% of the workforce.

    YAY!!!! It's time they shed worthless people, like whoever wrote the registration/login/password non-reset non-functionality of their website. I just make a new
    account anytime I want to login.

  7. Re: systems crashes on boot

    GreyCloud wrote:
    > Jo wrote:
    >
    >> "Bruce Porter" wrote:
    >>

    >>> I have a solaris 10 system that insta-crashes on boot. It was rebooted
    >>> to apply some patches from the update manager, and has not recovered.

    >> -------------snip--------------
    >>
    >> I too have bad luck with this ****. Considering the chaos on Sun's
    >> website I can't imagine how it would be possible on their part to
    >> distribute a decent product. Junk junk,
    >> junk..................................
    >>

    > I noticed that Sun now has a new CEO. It has been rumoured that the new
    > CEO will layoff about 27% of the workforce.

    It's also rumoured that a pig flew the Atlantic under its own power.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  8. Re: systems crashes on boot

    In article <4b5m16Fvo1ckU11@individual.net>,
    Ian Collins wrote:
    >> I noticed that Sun now has a new CEO. It has been rumoured that the new
    >> CEO will layoff about 27% of the workforce.
    >>

    >It's also rumoured that a pig flew the Atlantic under its own power.

    I don't have the conference call transcript ready, but Mr Schwartz
    rebuffed Toni Sacconaghi's suggestion for cuts of 12.5k employees.
    See the Real Audio stream @ 58 minutes.

    BTW RealPlayer 10 for Solaris x86 and SPARC are downloadable
    from Sun.

    Hopefully Anil Gadre and company will announce something before
    the end of NAB.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  9. Re: systems crashes on boot

    GreyCloud wrote:
    > Ian Collins wrote:
    >
    >> GreyCloud wrote:

    >>> I noticed that Sun now has a new CEO. It has been rumoured that the new
    >>> CEO will layoff about 27% of the workforce.
    >>>

    >> It's also rumoured that a pig flew the Atlantic under its own power.
    >>

    > Not a rumour any more. Check out the front page of http://www.sun.com
    > for the new CEO. The red ink has to stop. Seeing that the rest of the
    > industry is starting to lay off dead wood, Sun would only be doing what
    > is prudent.

    I don't see any references to porcine aviation.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  10. Re: systems crashes on boot

    > BTW RealPlayer 10 for Solaris x86 and SPARC are downloadable
    > from Sun.

    And doesn't actually play anything!!

    Mine complains about unrecognised codec, asks to go online to update,
    and opens a 404.

    Quality tested by Sun Microsystems!

    Steve

  11. Re: systems crashes on boot

    In article ,
    Steve wrote:
    >And doesn't actually play anything!!

    It plays the Sun Analyst conference call and the BBC World Service's
    Live Stream.

    What stream doesn't play for you?

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  12. Re: systems crashes on boot

    Użytkownik John D Groenveld napisał:
    > In article ,
    >
    > John
    > groenveld@acm.org

    John,
    Which sound server sould be used with RealPlayer. As far as I know
    esound and arts is not supported.

    Andrzej

  13. Re: systems crashes on boot

    > Which sound server sould be used with RealPlayer. As far as I know
    > esound and arts is not supported.

    OK, it works with standard Solaris 10 /usr/lib/esd .
    tested real and ogg format( in internet radio).

    Andrzej

  14. Re: systems crashes on boot

    John D Groenveld wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Steve wrote:
    >
    >>And doesn't actually play anything!!

    > It plays the Sun Analyst conference call and the BBC World Service's
    > Live Stream.
    >
    > What stream doesn't play for you?

    Err, rather embarrasingly the many divx and xvid's that mysteriously
    arrived on my hard disk.

    Neither will it play wmv's

    Basically anything that's meat and drink to mplayer and xine.

    RP on my Mac plays all these.

    Steve

  15. Re: systems crashes on boot

    In article ,
    Steve wrote:
    >Err, rather embarrasingly the many divx and xvid's that mysteriously
    >arrived on my hard disk.
    >
    >Neither will it play wmv's
    >
    >Basically anything that's meat and drink to mplayer and xine.
    >
    >RP on my Mac plays all these.

    Would you try booting a Linux and seeing if RP plays them?

    My WAG is that Real makes use of external codecs and that this isn't
    a QA problem as you earlier claimed.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  16. Re: systems crashes on boot

    In article ,
    John D Groenveld wrote:
    >I don't have the conference call transcript ready, but Mr Schwartz
    >rebuffed Toni Sacconaghi's suggestion for cuts of 12.5k employees.

    Looks like Mr Sacconaghi didn't like his answer.
    See Don Clark and Christopher Lawton's reporting from today's WSJ:
    | "It is unclear if CEO Schwartz will be able to provide as an objective
    | and fresh a perspective as might be needed," said Toni Sacconaghi, an
    | analyst at Bernstein Research, in a research note following the
    | Schwartz appointment Tuesday. Mr. Schwartz's operating record is
    | "relatively unproven," and his thinking "eerily similar" to McNealy's,
    | the analyst wrote.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  17. Re: systems crashes on boot

    John D Groenveld wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Steve wrote:
    >
    >>Err, rather embarrasingly the many divx and xvid's that mysteriously
    >>arrived on my hard disk.
    >>
    >>Neither will it play wmv's
    >>
    >>Basically anything that's meat and drink to mplayer and xine.
    >>
    >>RP on my Mac plays all these.

    > Would you try booting a Linux and seeing if RP plays them?

    Don't have any Linux and perhaps I should add I don't have a PC, this is
    Sparc and I didn't check exactly which ng I was in - sorry!

    > My WAG is that Real makes use of external codecs and that this isn't
    > a QA problem as you earlier claimed.

    I nabbed this Sun provided RP package the day it appeared on 'New
    Downloads' and the 404 came up then for updating codecs.

    Somebody didn't check something be it in Real or Sun but as it's Sun who
    packaged this app and I'd sort of expect them to make sure things like
    this don't happen before releasing it.

    Having said that I appreciate Real's website is their's and Sun have no
    control over it!

    Steve

  18. Re: systems crashes on boot

    In article ,
    Steve wrote:
    >I nabbed this Sun provided RP package the day it appeared on 'New
    >Downloads' and the 404 came up then for updating codecs.

    Hmm... realplay's Help menu's "check for updates" redirects to
    Real's Linux download page:
    That seems like a bug, not a feature.

    >Somebody didn't check something be it in Real or Sun but as it's Sun who
    >packaged this app and I'd sort of expect them to make sure things like
    >this don't happen before releasing it.
    >
    >Having said that I appreciate Real's website is their's and Sun have no
    >control over it!

    That raises an interesting question: Who supports SUNWrealplayer and
    Macromedia Flash Firefox plugin, should Anil Gadre and company's
    marketing wonks convince Adobe to let Sun bundle it with Solaris?

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  19. Re: systems crashes on boot

    >>I nabbed this Sun provided RP package the day it appeared on 'New
    >>Downloads' and the 404 came up then for updating codecs.

    > Hmm... realplay's Help menu's "check for updates" redirects to
    > Real's Linux download page:
    > That seems like a bug, not a feature.

    The Sparc goes off to
    <https://player.helixcommunity.org/si...%3DCheckUpdate
    %26playerVersion%3D10.0.6.1358%26playerName%3DReal Player%2010%26
    playerDistcode%3DRXEN1O%26playerOrigcode%3DRXEN1O% 26
    language%3Den_GB.ISO8859-1%26distribDescription%3DSolaris%20Nevada%20snv_33 %20SPARC>

    Christ that's an url (sectioned it for easy reading) and some! Noticed
    it's reporting me as Nevada so maybe that's confused it. I am using
    Solaris Express of course.

    Then it 404's

    https://helixcommunity.org/404.php?p...r&shost=player

    >>Somebody didn't check something be it in Real or Sun but as it's Sun who
    >>packaged this app and I'd sort of expect them to make sure things like
    >>this don't happen before releasing it.
    >>
    >>Having said that I appreciate Real's website is their's and Sun have no
    >>control over it!

    > That raises an interesting question: Who supports SUNWrealplayer and
    > Macromedia Flash Firefox plugin, should Anil Gadre and company's
    > marketing wonks convince Adobe to let Sun bundle it with Solaris?

    It's a pain in the arse having to add Flash Player manually, those days
    have gone!

    Steve

  20. Re: systems crashes on boot

    In article ,
    Steve wrote:
    >The Sparc goes off to
    ><https://player.helixcommunity.org/si...%3DCheckUpdate
    >%26playerVersion%3D10.0.6.1358%26playerName%3DReal Player%2010%26
    >playerDistcode%3DRXEN1O%26playerOrigcode%3DRXEN1O% 26
    >language%3Den_GB.ISO8859-1%26distribDescription%3DSolaris%20Nevada%20snv_33 %20SPARC>
    >
    >Christ that's an url (sectioned it for easy reading) and some! Noticed
    >it's reporting me as Nevada so maybe that's confused it. I am using
    >Solaris Express of course.

    If you don't have a support contract, please log a bug for that
    issue with SUNWrealplayer via bugs.opensolaris.org

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast