mozilla will not work - Solaris

This is a discussion on mozilla will not work - Solaris ; Mozilla web browser in Solaris 10 won't open in CDE or Java Desktop. It just starts to open then closes back up. I am new to Unix and Solaris so please forgive my ignorance in advance. Hoping to get some ...

  1. mozilla will not work

    Mozilla web browser in Solaris 10 won't open in CDE or Java Desktop. It
    just starts to open then closes back up.

    I am new to Unix and Solaris so please forgive my ignorance in advance.
    Hoping to get some help with my situation which is I installed Solaris 10
    free edition on P4 box and everything worked OK as far getting a dynamic IP
    and surfing the net. I have since then installed a few programs such as
    BlueFish and Star Office which have seemed to work fine. I have Apache up
    and running and the mail program works and I can see my Windows shared
    folders and copy files back and forth but just can't surf the net.

    Any suggestions on how to go about troubleshooting or work around?

  2. Re: mozilla will not work

    In article ,
    pds wrote:
    >Mozilla web browser in Solaris 10 won't open in CDE or Java Desktop. It
    >just starts to open then closes back up.

    groupadd pds
    useradd -g pds -s /bin/zsh -d /home/pds pds
    mkdir /export/home/pds
    chown pds /export/home/pds
    passwd pds

    Login to CDE or JDS as user pds.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  3. Re: mozilla will not work

    Thanks for the tip John. I can't get it to work right though. I actually
    re-installed the OS again and have been through the same cycle again.
    Logging on as "root" works fine for a couple of days and then the browser
    quits working again. When I add the "pds" as you said it seems to take it
    OK but when I try that logon it just goes back to the logon screen.

    Does it matter if I use the terminal or command prompt logon when I add the
    user?

    Why does the browser of the "root" account quit working? Is that by design?

    "John D Groenveld" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > pds wrote:
    >>Mozilla web browser in Solaris 10 won't open in CDE or Java Desktop. It
    >>just starts to open then closes back up.

    > groupadd pds
    > useradd -g pds -s /bin/zsh -d /home/pds pds
    > mkdir /export/home/pds
    > chown pds /export/home/pds
    > passwd pds
    >
    > Login to CDE or JDS as user pds.
    >
    > John
    > groenveld@acm.org

  4. Re: mozilla will not work

    pds wrote:
    > Thanks for the tip John. I can't get it to work right though. I actually
    > re-installed the OS again and have been through the same cycle again.
    > Logging on as "root" works fine for a couple of days and then the browser
    > quits working again. When I add the "pds" as you said it seems to take it
    > OK but when I try that logon it just goes back to the logon screen.

    Are you happy that the hardware is OK? The fact it works for a while and
    then fails suggests some kind of corruption.

    --
    Geoff Lane, Airstrip One

    Today's Excuse: Standing room only on the bus.

  5. Re: mozilla will not work

    I'm pretty sure the hardware is stable and reliable. I am so unfamiliar
    with the Solaris 10 that I thought it might be something by design. I have
    been reading up so my knowledge has increased quite a bit since my first
    post. Dealing with the different shells is still a little confusing though.

    "Geoff Lane" wrote in message
    > pds wrote:
    >> Thanks for the tip John. I can't get it to work right though. I
    >> actually
    >> re-installed the OS again and have been through the same cycle again.
    >> Logging on as "root" works fine for a couple of days and then the browser
    >> quits working again. When I add the "pds" as you said it seems to take
    >> it
    >> OK but when I try that logon it just goes back to the logon screen.

    > Are you happy that the hardware is OK? The fact it works for a while and
    > then fails suggests some kind of corruption.
    >
    > --
    > Geoff Lane, Airstrip One
    >
    > Today's Excuse: Standing room only on the bus.

  6. Re: mozilla will not work

    as I think I said before - I can send and receive mail OK from the internet
    and copy large binary files back and forth on the LAN. So it seems the
    hardware is functional and the IP address valid.

    "Geoff Lane" wrote in message
    > pds wrote:
    >> Thanks for the tip John. I can't get it to work right though. I
    >> actually
    >> re-installed the OS again and have been through the same cycle again.
    >> Logging on as "root" works fine for a couple of days and then the browser
    >> quits working again. When I add the "pds" as you said it seems to take
    >> it
    >> OK but when I try that logon it just goes back to the logon screen.

    > Are you happy that the hardware is OK? The fact it works for a while and
    > then fails suggests some kind of corruption.
    >
    > --
    > Geoff Lane, Airstrip One
    >
    > Today's Excuse: Standing room only on the bus.

  7. Re: mozilla will not work

    In article <44492e9c$0$656$5a6aecb4@news.aaisp.net.uk>,
    Geoff Lane wrote:
    >Are you happy that the hardware is OK? The fact it works for a while and
    >then fails suggests some kind of corruption.

    The OP might try running memtest86 from the Ultimate Boot CD.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  8. Re: mozilla will not work

    In article ,
    pds wrote:
    >quits working again. When I add the "pds" as you said it seems to take it
    >OK but when I try that logon it just goes back to the logon screen.

    Hmmm. In /home/pds, you should see a .dt directory and inside it
    a startlog. Lets see it.

    >Does it matter if I use the terminal or command prompt logon when I add the
    >user?

    No.

    >Why does the browser of the "root" account quit working? Is that by design?

    There was a bug in Netscape which may have carried forward into Mozilla
    that the browser wouldn't run as root.

    I kinda consider it a feature and don't care to test myself.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  9. Re: mozilla will not work

    Thanks again. I'll try it again eventually and add the user right away
    instead of continuing to logon as root.

    > In article ,
    > pds wrote:
    >>quits working again. When I add the "pds" as you said it seems to take it
    >>OK but when I try that logon it just goes back to the logon screen.

    > Hmmm. In /home/pds, you should see a .dt directory and inside it
    > a startlog. Lets see it.
    >
    >>Does it matter if I use the terminal or command prompt logon when I add
    >>the
    >>user?

    > No.
    >
    >>Why does the browser of the "root" account quit working? Is that by
    >>design?

    > There was a bug in Netscape which may have carried forward into Mozilla
    > that the browser wouldn't run as root.
    >
    > I kinda consider it a feature and don't care to test myself.
    >
    > John
    > groenveld@acm.org

+ Reply to Thread