Best practices for time on a dual boot system? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Best practices for time on a dual boot system? - Solaris ; I am running on a dual-boot system running Window2000/Solaris 10....The last Daylight Savings Time change that we had this month just made my clocks change erratically...I would like to ask, if whats the best Time settings for both operating systems ...

  1. Best practices for time on a dual boot system?

    I am running on a dual-boot system running Window2000/Solaris 10....The
    last Daylight Savings Time change that we had this month just made my
    clocks change erratically...I would like to ask, if whats the best Time
    settings for both operating systems (windows and solaris) in order to
    prevent drastic erratic time changes during DST changes??

    Here are my current clock or time settings:

    1. RTC or the Hardware Clock is set to UTC..(The BIOS is set to UTC)

    2. Solaris DISPLAYED Time or TZ is set to TZ=UTC....and ZONE INFO is
    set to UTC also...

    3. Windows, is set to show local time zone....but, were it says under
    the Time Zone properties, I have the "Adjust clock to DST
    Automatically" UNCHECKED at the moment.

    Now, #1 and in #2 I do want to leave were its at, in other words, I
    want Solaris to keep its time in TZ=UTC and also the "Zone Info as UTC
    also. Thats fine.

    Now, in order to prevent problems or erratic time changes during the
    DST changes, what should I do under Windows?? In other words, should I
    leave the settings above were its at...Or, I do need to change some
    things around to prevent possible issues during DST changes in a
    dual-boot Windows/UNIX system?

    Thanks in advance for the help!

  2. Re: Best practices for time on a dual boot system?

    When people say the best time setting for UNIX is UTC...do they mean
    the BIOS RTC Clock or the actual displayed OS time??

    j.slayton wrote:
    > I am running on a dual-boot system running Window2000/Solaris 10....The
    > last Daylight Savings Time change that we had this month just made my
    > clocks change erratically...I would like to ask, if whats the best Time
    > settings for both operating systems (windows and solaris) in order to
    > prevent drastic erratic time changes during DST changes??
    >
    > Here are my current clock or time settings:
    >
    > 1. RTC or the Hardware Clock is set to UTC..(The BIOS is set to UTC)
    >
    > 2. Solaris DISPLAYED Time or TZ is set to TZ=UTC....and ZONE INFO is
    > set to UTC also...
    >
    > 3. Windows, is set to show local time zone....but, were it says under
    > the Time Zone properties, I have the "Adjust clock to DST
    > Automatically" UNCHECKED at the moment.
    >
    > Now, #1 and in #2 I do want to leave were its at, in other words, I
    > want Solaris to keep its time in TZ=UTC and also the "Zone Info as UTC
    > also. Thats fine.
    >
    > Now, in order to prevent problems or erratic time changes during the
    > DST changes, what should I do under Windows?? In other words, should I
    > leave the settings above were its at...Or, I do need to change some
    > things around to prevent possible issues during DST changes in a
    > dual-boot Windows/UNIX system?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for the help!

  3. Re: Best practices for time on a dual boot system?

    In article <1145153652.377569.85250@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    j.slayton wrote:
    >When people say the best time setting for UNIX is UTC...do they mean
    >the BIOS RTC Clock or the actual displayed OS time??

    They mean that the BIOS / hardware clock should be UTC; the OS can be
    set to display the time in whatever time zone the user / system administrator
    wants.

    If multibooting with an OS that can only handle a BIOS / hardware clock
    in local time, it is best to just set that OS' time zone to be UTC.
    Some OSes can be set to assume either UTC or local time for the BIOS /
    hardware clock, to maximize compatibility in multiboot computers.

    Timothy J. Lee

  4. Re: Best practices for time on a dual boot system?

    So are you saying those settings above are correct the way I have it in
    order to avoid issues during DST?

    Or, better yet, why dont you just post an example on what to do for
    both Hardware and the actual displayed time for both OSs....To avoid
    issues during the DST...I would appreciate this...

    My current settings that I posted above, should I leave it the way its
    at? Or, should I do some changes to avoid DST problems? Please post an
    example of what should I do for both Windows and Solaris please.

    j.slayton wrote:
    > I am running on a dual-boot system running Window2000/Solaris 10....The
    > last Daylight Savings Time change that we had this month just made my
    > clocks change erratically...I would like to ask, if whats the best Time
    > settings for both operating systems (windows and solaris) in order to
    > prevent drastic erratic time changes during DST changes??
    >
    > Here are my current clock or time settings:
    >
    > 1. RTC or the Hardware Clock is set to UTC..(The BIOS is set to UTC)
    >
    > 2. Solaris DISPLAYED Time or TZ is set to TZ=UTC....and ZONE INFO is
    > set to UTC also...
    >
    > 3. Windows, is set to show local time zone....but, were it says under
    > the Time Zone properties, I have the "Adjust clock to DST
    > Automatically" UNCHECKED at the moment.
    >
    > Now, #1 and in #2 I do want to leave were its at, in other words, I
    > want Solaris to keep its time in TZ=UTC and also the "Zone Info as UTC
    > also. Thats fine.
    >
    > Now, in order to prevent problems or erratic time changes during the
    > DST changes, what should I do under Windows?? In other words, should I
    > leave the settings above were its at...Or, I do need to change some
    > things around to prevent possible issues during DST changes in a
    > dual-boot Windows/UNIX system?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for the help!

+ Reply to Thread