VTOC - Solaris

This is a discussion on VTOC - Solaris ; I faced that problem when I was installing Sol 8 : Intel platform New WD HD 160 GB. unable to mount on a Solaris root file system from the device . Disk:Target 0: on Bus mastering IDE controller on board ...

  1. VTOC

    I faced that problem when I was installing Sol 8 :
    Intel platform
    New WD HD 160 GB.

    unable to mount on a Solaris root file system from the device .
    Disk:Target 0:
    on Bus mastering IDE controller on board PCI bus 0 , at Dev 31,func1
    error message
    /pci@,00/...........:a:Can not open - no hstf VTOC
    Press Enter to continue

    How can I face that error ?

  2. Re: VTOC

    ehabaziz2001@gmail.com wrote:
    > I faced that problem when I was installing Sol 8 :
    > Intel platform
    > New WD HD 160 GB.
    >
    > unable to mount on a Solaris root file system from the device .
    > Disk:Target 0:
    > on Bus mastering IDE controller on board PCI bus 0 , at Dev 31,func1
    > error message
    > /pci@,00/...........:a:Can not open - no hstf VTOC
    > Press Enter to continue
    >

    > How can I face that error ?

    on a PC you need to run "fdisk" to craete a PC - hardware disk
    partition.
    Then run "format" to create the VTOC.

    The install program is supposed to do this. So for some reason it
    failed.

    Probable reason is that you have a new PC and Solaris 8 is 7 years
    old.
    I reccomend that you try solaris 10 instead.

    //Lars

  3. Re: VTOC

    Please try yo tel me another solution It failed with Sol10 Also

  4. Re: VTOC

    julieghobrial@gmail.com wrote:
    > Please try yo tel me another solution It failed with Sol10 Also

    You will have to describe in detail what you are trying to do and
    how/when it fails
    all you said so far is that you cant install solaris on a new
    diskdrive.

    How many disks do you have in the machine ?
    How are the drives attached ?
    How are the drives partitioned ?
    Whic drive is designated as the boot drive in the bios.
    What type of disc is it ? Pata/Sata ?
    how many Pata/SATA channells does th motherboard have ?
    what motherboard is it
    how much RAM do you have ?

    A.S.O A.S:O

    First is your system listed in the hardware compatible list ?

    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data/sol/

    if not you need to describe it completely !
    particularly the disk subsystem as that where your problem sems to be
    !

    Regards

    //lars

+ Reply to Thread