3rd party SATA support? - Solaris

This is a discussion on 3rd party SATA support? - Solaris ; Can anyone point me to a supported 3rd party PCI-X SAS/SATA card? I'm currently using the LSILogic 3442x, however I had to force the driver (version 5.07.00) to install (broken postinstall script). It works just fine, but LSI no longer ...

  1. 3rd party SATA support?

    Can anyone point me to a supported 3rd party PCI-X SAS/SATA card?

    I'm currently using the LSILogic 3442x, however I had to force the
    driver (version 5.07.00) to install (broken postinstall script). It
    works just fine, but LSI no longer offers a Solaris driver for
    download, and when I asked their (essentially useless) support about
    it, they said that it wasn't released yet and I should wait for it.
    When I noted that it has been previously released, and were they now
    claiming that what I am currently using, just a few months old, is
    unsupported, I got no reply (2+ weeks now).

    As well as the card seems to be working, that kind of customer service
    and weak support is scary and I cannot afford to hang my data out to
    dry like that.

    Searching for 'Disk Controller', 'SATA' (there is no SAS option),
    'PCI-X' on http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/search.jsp yields no
    results.

    Interestingly, Sun delivers its own version of the LSI driver, but it
    apparently doesn't support all LSI cards. Which is funny because on
    the LSI site they claim to use some "FusionMPT" thing which is
    basically an abstraction layer for their driver so that the
    OS-specific bits (kernel API I guess) are the only parts that need to
    be ported, thus allowing all of their cards to work on a new OS with
    only a small amount of work. I guess Sun either has a different version
    of the LSI driver than what LSI itself delivers, or they just disable or
    don't recognize certain cards, perhaps intentionally.

    -frank

  2. Re: 3rd party SATA support?

    On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 23:05:28 -0700 Frank Cusack wrote:
    > Can anyone point me to a supported 3rd party PCI-X SAS/SATA card?

    You've got to be kidding me. No one is using 3rd party SAS/SATA?

  3. Re: 3rd party SATA support?

    Frank Cusack wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 23:05:28 -0700 Frank Cusack wrote:
    >
    >>Can anyone point me to a supported 3rd party PCI-X SAS/SATA card?

    > You've got to be kidding me. No one is using 3rd party SAS/SATA?

    I have not used one but the following URL shows Solaris 10 support
    from the vendor for SATA:

    http://www.areca.us/products/html/pcix-sata.htm

    I read about a test (I don't remember OS) where an areca raid
    controller did rather well.

    They also look to have a PCI-E version.

    Stuart

  4. Re: 3rd party SATA support?

    In article ,
    Stuart Biggar wrote:
    >http://www.areca.us/products/html/pcix-sata.htm

    The LSI Logic SAS RAID controllers and SAS HBAs should work.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  5. Re: 3rd party SATA support?

    On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 16:38:14 +0000 (UTC) groenvel@cse.psu.edu (John D Groenveld) wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Stuart Biggar wrote:
    >>http://www.areca.us/products/html/pcix-sata.htm

    > The LSI Logic SAS RAID controllers and SAS HBAs should work.

    LSI explicitly does not support them on Solaris (anymore).

    -frank

  6. Re: 3rd party SATA support?

    In article ,
    Frank Cusack wrote:
    >LSI explicitly does not support them on Solaris (anymore).

    I think they'll work with mpt(7D) and lsimega(7D).

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  7. Re: 3rd party SATA support?

    On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:00:30 +0000 (UTC) groenvel@cse.psu.edu (John D Groenveld) wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Frank Cusack wrote:
    >>LSI explicitly does not support them on Solaris (anymore).

    > I think they'll work with mpt(7D) and lsimega(7D).

    Not up to S10U1. Haven't gotten U2 installed yet.

    -frank

  8. Re: 3rd party SATA support?

    In article ,
    Frank Cusack wrote:
    >Not up to S10U1. Haven't gotten U2 installed yet.

    I recall Al Hopper got LSI's SAS based MegaRAID controller working with
    the *BSD based amr(7D). lsimega(7D) which I believe is the LSI/Sun
    collaborative effort has been available on sun.com for months.

    I believe mpt(7D) shipped with S10 FCS.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  9. Re: 3rd party SATA support?

    John D Groenveld wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Frank Cusack wrote:
    > >Not up to S10U1. Haven't gotten U2 installed yet.

    > I recall Al Hopper got LSI's SAS based MegaRAID controller working with
    > the *BSD based amr(7D). lsimega(7D) which I believe is the LSI/Sun
    > collaborative effort has been available on sun.com for months.
    >
    > I believe mpt(7D) shipped with S10 FCS.
    >
    > John
    > groenveld@acm.org

    I think what you clowns should finally admit to yourselves is that
    support on x86 is just as dismal as it as has ever been -- since the
    once venerable Sun can't even provide support for their own hardware --
    and forget it.

    Sun has hardware that no one wants (SPARC), hardware that doesn't work
    correctly with their software (x86), and software that costs them more
    than they earn (Java). It's over boys.

  10. Re: 3rd party SATA support?

    In article <1151386441.925845.241140@c74g2000cwc.googlegroups. com>,
    Jaime wrote:
    >Sun has hardware that no one wants (SPARC), hardware that doesn't work
    >correctly with their software (x86), and software that costs them more
    >than they earn (Java). It's over boys.

    Sun's x86 based hardware works for me with Solaris.

    On which Sun systems are you having problems running Solaris?

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  11. Re: 3rd party SATA support?

    On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Jaime wrote:

    > Sun has hardware that no one wants (SPARC), hardware that doesn't work

    Funny you should say that, troll. Sun's latest SPARC-based machines,
    the T1000 and T2000 have been flying out of their doors as fast as they
    can make 'em.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  12. Re: 3rd party SATA support?

    On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 01:14:40 +0000 (UTC) groenvel@cse.psu.edu (John D Groenveld) wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Frank Cusack wrote:
    >>Not up to S10U1. Haven't gotten U2 installed yet.

    > I recall Al Hopper got LSI's SAS based MegaRAID controller working with
    > the *BSD based amr(7D). lsimega(7D) which I believe is the LSI/Sun
    > collaborative effort has been available on sun.com for months.
    >
    > I believe mpt(7D) shipped with S10 FCS.

    I'm not claiming that the drivers aren't there, I'm claiming that they
    don't work. But I just meant for the HBAs, not the RAID. I'll be
    using ZFS so I don't need or want the RAID controller.

    The mpt driver that comes with S10 does not recognize the LSI SAS HBA.
    I believe it only recognizes the onboard controller.

    Luckily, LSI produces a single driver for all their cards so you can
    find Solaris support for another card and it works, but the installer
    is broken (you can get it manually installed; not TOO hard to figure
    out) and LSI denies that the card is supported.

    Not a good state of affairs.

    Given that LSI produces a single driver for all cards, it sucks that
    the Sun driver doesn't do likewise. I'd really like mpxio support
    and the morons at LSI don't care that it's easy to do. The Sun driver
    support mpxio but of course doesn't recognize the HBA. ugh.

    Maybe the lsimega driver does support the plain HBA. I haven't
    tried it.

    -frank

  13. Re: 3rd party SATA support?

    In article ,
    Frank Cusack wrote:
    >The mpt driver that comes with S10 does not recognize the LSI SAS HBA.
    >I believe it only recognizes the onboard controller.

    Which LSI SAS HBAs don't work with mpt(7D)?

    What happens when you try to add their vendor/device id's with
    update_drv(1M)?

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  14. Re: 3rd party SATA support?

    On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:41:36 +0000 (UTC) groenvel@cse.psu.edu (John D Groenveld) wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Frank Cusack wrote:
    >>The mpt driver that comes with S10 does not recognize the LSI SAS HBA.
    >>I believe it only recognizes the onboard controller.

    > Which LSI SAS HBAs don't work with mpt(7D)?

    3442X, which is the only one I've tried. It looks like all the (non-RAID)
    SAS HBAs are the same thing, just having different system interfaces
    (PCIX or PCIE) and different SAS connectors (internal vs external).
    So if the 3442X doesn't work, I don't expect the others to work.

    > What happens when you try to add their vendor/device id's with
    > update_drv(1M)?

    I wasn't aware of that command. I'll try it when I get the chance to
    free up a system to try S10U2. (a week or so.)

    -frank

  15. Re: 3rd party SATA support?

    On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 19:53:09 -0700 Frank Cusack wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:41:36 +0000 (UTC) groenvel@cse.psu.edu (John D Groenveld) wrote:
    >> In article ,
    >> Frank Cusack wrote:
    >>>The mpt driver that comes with S10 does not recognize the LSI SAS HBA.
    >>>I believe it only recognizes the onboard controller.

    >> Which LSI SAS HBAs don't work with mpt(7D)?

    > 3442X, which is the only one I've tried. It looks like all the (non-RAID)
    > SAS HBAs are the same thing, just having different system interfaces
    > (PCIX or PCIE) and different SAS connectors (internal vs external).
    > So if the 3442X doesn't work, I don't expect the others to work.
    >
    >> What happens when you try to add their vendor/device id's with
    >> update_drv(1M)?

    > I wasn't aware of that command. I'll try it when I get the chance to
    > free up a system to try S10U2. (a week or so.)

    BTW, the vendor and device ID (from prtconf -pv) is

    vendor-id: 00001000
    device-id: 00000054

    I did 'ls -l' one on of the attached disks to find the device path, then
    matched that up with the 'name' field from 'prtconf -pv'. Is there an
    easier way to find this info? Like 'lspci' on Linux.

    -frank

  16. Re: 3rd party SATA support?

    In article ,
    Frank Cusack wrote:
    >BTW, the vendor and device ID (from prtconf -pv) is
    >
    > vendor-id: 00001000
    > device-id: 00000054

    # update_drv -a -i '"pci1000,54"' mpt

    >I did 'ls -l' one on of the attached disks to find the device path, then
    >matched that up with the 'name' field from 'prtconf -pv'. Is there an
    >easier way to find this info? Like 'lspci' on Linux.

    I use Dan Mick's prtpci while others use /usr/X11/bin/scanpci.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  17. Re: 3rd party SATA support?

    On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 19:53:09 -0700 Frank Cusack wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:41:36 +0000 (UTC) groenvel@cse.psu.edu (John D Groenveld) wrote:
    >> In article ,
    >> Frank Cusack wrote:
    >>>The mpt driver that comes with S10 does not recognize the LSI SAS HBA.
    >>>I believe it only recognizes the onboard controller.

    >> Which LSI SAS HBAs don't work with mpt(7D)?

    > 3442X, which is the only one I've tried. It looks like all the (non-RAID)
    > SAS HBAs are the same thing, just having different system interfaces
    > (PCIX or PCIE) and different SAS connectors (internal vs external).
    > So if the 3442X doesn't work, I don't expect the others to work.
    >
    >> What happens when you try to add their vendor/device id's with
    >> update_drv(1M)?

    > I wasn't aware of that command. I'll try it when I get the chance to
    > free up a system to try S10U2. (a week or so.)

    Didn't need to. It (a 3442E) worked out of the box with U2. I'm sure
    the 3442X will work as well.

    -frank

+ Reply to Thread