stdin ot stdout - Solaris

This is a discussion on stdin ot stdout - Solaris ; Till now I can not the difference between STDIN command and STDOUT command till now. Give me pls example . Is cat stdin ? Is ls stdout or stdin ?...

  1. stdin ot stdout

    Till now I can not the difference between STDIN command and STDOUT
    command till now.

    Give me pls example .

    Is cat stdin ?
    Is ls stdout or stdin ?

  2. Re: stdin ot stdout

    ehabaziz2001@gmail.com wrote:

    >Till now I can not the difference between STDIN command and STDOUT
    >command till now.

    They're not commands, they're files.

    >Is cat stdin ?

    "cat" reads the file you specify on the command line and writes it to
    STDOUT.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    Slattery_T@bls.gov

  3. Re: stdin ot stdout

    On 2006-04-07, ehabaziz2001@gmail.com wrote:
    > Till now I can not the difference between STDIN command and STDOUT
    > command till now.
    >
    > Give me pls example .
    >
    > Is cat stdin ?
    > Is ls stdout or stdin ?

    They are not commands, they (along with stderr) are streams
    connected to a process. When a program uses read (or fread or
    whatever any particular language uses) it is, by default, reading
    from stdin. When a program outputs something (e.g., with printf),
    it is sent to stdout.

    #! /bin/sh
    read var ## read a line from stdin
    printf "%s\n" "$var" ## print to stdout

    By default, stdin is connected to a keyboard, and stdout and
    stderr are sent to your screen.

    On the command line, these may be redirected to a file or a pipe:

    read line < /etc/passwd ## connect read's stdin to the file /etc/passwd
    printf "%s\n" "$line" > $HOME/xxx ## send the line to the file $HOME/xxx

    In this example, the stdout of printf is connect to a pipe; that
    pipe is connected to the stdin of tr:

    printf "%s\n" "$line" | tr ':' '\n'

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

+ Reply to Thread