Sol10 1/06 on HP Pavilion dv5052 laptop - Solaris

This is a discussion on Sol10 1/06 on HP Pavilion dv5052 laptop - Solaris ; Greetings. It's been a while... Having recently taken the plunge and bought myself a new toy (see subject line), I now of course want to dual-boot Solaris 10 x86 and XP. So I went and got myself the latest DVD ...

  1. Sol10 1/06 on HP Pavilion dv5052 laptop

    Greetings. It's been a while...

    Having recently taken the plunge and bought myself a new toy (see
    subject line), I now of course want to dual-boot Solaris 10 x86 and XP.
    So I went and got myself the latest DVD ISO from sun.com, unzipped,
    assembled and booted.

    It went into GRUB and I selected "Solaris", the default. The banner
    appeared, and the "Configuring devices" line. Then, the lower half of
    the laptop's screen filled with multcoloured garbage characters, and I
    could see nothing sensible after that. (The thing reminded me of a
    Sinclair Spectrum I had many moons ago that developed a ROM fault. The
    result looked very like what I saw on the HP!)

    What a pain. Does Solaris not properly support these fancy wide-screen
    LCD displays, or is there something I need to tweak?

    Thanks all.

    --
    Regards,

    Noel.

  2. Re: Sol10 1/06 on HP Pavilion dv5052 laptop

    Update. I've tried setting acpl-user-options=0x02 in the GRUB config,
    but that only makes it complain about the UART, and does not alleviate
    the display weirdness. On a hunch, I also disabled hardware
    acceleration and write combining in the ATI Mobility Radeon control
    panel. I see this thing uses 128MB shared VRAM.

    None of this made any difference though. Aw, surely my swanky new HP
    can run Solaris?

  3. Re: Sol10 1/06 on HP Pavilion dv5052 laptop

    "Noel R. Nihill" writes:

    > It went into GRUB and I selected "Solaris", the default. The banner
    > appeared, and the "Configuring devices" line. Then, the lower half of
    > the laptop's screen filled with multcoloured garbage characters, and I
    > could see nothing sensible after that.

    It probably this bug (PCI-E?), which affects quite a few current
    HP/Compaq/Acer/Dell laptops:

    http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thre...=5654&tstart=0

  4. Re: Sol10 1/06 on HP Pavilion dv5052 laptop

    Ah. The light dawns. In that case, I'll resurrect my Solaris 9 x86
    media, install, and upgrade to the next drop of 10. Bish-bash-bosh.

    Many thanks, Juergen.

+ Reply to Thread