Re: Dell Poweredge 830 64-bit sata raid - Solaris

This is a discussion on Re: Dell Poweredge 830 64-bit sata raid - Solaris ; Ian Collins wrote: > llothar wrote: > >>Do you mean that there is no SATA RAID or not even SATA in Solaris 10 ? >> > > Are you replying to me? Please quote some context for those of us ...

  1. Re: Dell Poweredge 830 64-bit sata raid

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > llothar wrote:
    >
    >>Do you mean that there is no SATA RAID or not even SATA in Solaris 10 ?
    >>

    > Are you replying to me? Please quote some context for those of us who
    > don't use google.
    >
    > The SATA framework will be in Update 2, along with support for a number
    > of SATA controllers.
    >
    > It is currently available in Solaris Express.
    >
    > I don't think that will include any SATA RAID drivers. There are
    > drivers available form card vendors.
    >
    > ZFS (also in U2) will go a long way to removing the need for SATA RAID.

    Hi,
    You have made something clear to me now. I was puzzled why I see on the spec of
    the Ultra 40

    http://www.sun.com/desktop/workstati...ifications.jsp

    says RAID has been tested on Windoze, but no mention of Solaris.

    || Up to four Serial ATA drives (80 GB, 250GB, and 500 GB);2 TB
    || maximum RAID 0 and RAID 1 support (RAID 0/1 has been tested on
    || Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Professional X64 only.)

    So there is no support in Solaris for RAID on SATA.

    Do you happen to know (without me looking though loads of source code) what RAID
    will be supported?

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/feature_raid.html

    I've just bought a Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895) motherboard for dual Opterons

    http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8we.html

    and looking at the specs on that I see NvRAID™ v2.0 support. Just interested if
    that is likely to work at some point in Solaris 10.

    In particular, specs for this motherboard relevant to RAID include:

    Chipset
    • AMD-8131™ HyperTransport™ PCI-X Tunnel
    • NVIDIA nForce Professional 2200 (CK8-04)
    • NVIDIA nForce Professional 2050 (I/O-4)
    - Connected to CPU 2
    • SMsC Super I/O

    Integrated SATA II Controller
    • Two integrated dual port SATA II controllers
    • Four SATA connectors: up to four drives
    • Supports 3.0Gb/s per port
    • NvRAID™ v2.0 support
    • RAID 0, 1, 0 + 1 (NB. the manual says RAID 5 and JBOD too)

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

  2. Re: Dell Poweredge 830 64-bit sata raid

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:

    > Hi,
    > You have made something clear to me now. I was puzzled why I see on the
    > spec of the Ultra 40
    >
    > http://www.sun.com/desktop/workstati...ifications.jsp
    >
    > says RAID has been tested on Windoze, but no mention of Solaris.
    >
    > || Up to four Serial ATA drives (80 GB, 250GB, and 500 GB);2 TB
    > || maximum RAID 0 and RAID 1 support (RAID 0/1 has been tested on
    > || Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Professional X64 only.)
    >
    > So there is no support in Solaris for RAID on SATA.
    >
    > Do you happen to know (without me looking though loads of source code)
    > what RAID will be supported?

    Well I can't speak for Sun, but I'd suggest that ZFS would be a better
    option.

    There are drivers for high spec SATA RAID cards provided by the vendors.

    > http://www.nvidia.com/object/feature_raid.html
    >
    > I've just bought a Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895) motherboard for dual Opterons
    >
    > http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8we.html
    >
    > and looking at the specs on that I see NvRAID™ v2.0 support. Just
    > interested if that is likely to work at some point in Solaris 10.

    SATA works on nForce 4 Athlon 64 boards with Solaris Express and I
    believe the SATA on the 2895 also works out of the box.

    The way Solaris is developing, I don't see much of a need for native
    SATA RAID support. SVM does a good job for RAID 0 and 1 and the low
    cost SATA cards don't support RAID 5, which is supported be high end
    cards that have their own Solaris drivers, or replaced by ZFS.

    --
    Ian Collins.

+ Reply to Thread