Using at Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895) motherboard ? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Using at Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895) motherboard ? - Solaris ; I've ordered a Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895) motherboard with Ultra 320 SCSI controller: http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8we.html (model S2895UA2NRF to be precise.) For now at least I have just ordered a cheap single-core Opteron 248 (2.2GHz, 1MB, 800 MHz Bus, Socket 940) processor, ...

  1. Using at Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895) motherboard ?

    I've ordered a Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895) motherboard with Ultra 320 SCSI controller:

    http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8we.html

    (model S2895UA2NRF to be precise.)

    For now at least I have just ordered a cheap single-core Opteron 248 (2.2GHz,
    1MB, 800 MHz Bus, Socket 940) processor, but I'll get a couple of quicker
    dual-core ones when prices fall a bit. Prices seem to rise almost exponentially
    with speed and drop exponentially with time (no I have not plotted them), so
    what is expensive today is far less so tomorrow.

    Is anyone else using this motherboard for Solaris 10 ? Any particular issues? I
    see it is mentioned in the HCL and there are a few references on the web to
    people running it on Solaris 10, so I know it will run. I've not seen mention of
    people using the on-board SCSI controller on Solaris 10 (the board is
    available without SCSI), but it uses an LSI 53C1030 chip which is also in the
    HCL, so I hope the SCSI works too.

    But any tips / suggestions / comments ?

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

  2. Re: Using at Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895) motherboard ?

    GreyCloud wrote:
    > Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    >
    >> I've ordered a Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895) motherboard with Ultra 320
    >> SCSI controller:
    >>
    >> http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8we.html
    >>
    >> (model S2895UA2NRF to be precise.)

    >> But any tips / suggestions / comments ?
    >>

    > Comments: I'm going to be doing the same thing. I'm looking at the AMD
    > X2 motherboards and also the graphics and audio cards.
    > When you do get yours running with Solaris 10, post back and let us know
    > how you fared. :-)

    Overclocking is quite possible on them, whereas it is difficult/impossible on
    the Opteron I believe.

    I've gone for the Geforce graphics card with the Nvida 6600 chip set and 256 MB.
    Audio is of no interest to me, so I'll stick with whatever is on board.

    I can't make my mind up between SCSI and SATA for disks. For now I'm going to
    use some SCSI I have, but I will either have to buy a bigger SCSI disk (used) or
    SATA (new). I would have thought a SCSI disk on a U 320 controller would have
    left a SATA disk for dust (the access times on SATA is quite a bit more), but
    many say that this is far from the case.

    Western Digital do the Raptor range of SATA disks but these are quite expensive
    - more than quite high spec SCSI ones that are on eBay. In many cases the
    warranties remaining on SCSI disks can be longer than on the SATA ones, so it is
    far from clear to me that SATA is the winner.

    Hopefully by the end of the week, assuming I have not forgotten anything, I will
    be up and running.

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

  3. Re: Using at Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895) motherboard ?

    GreyCloud wrote:

    > I just got thru browsing our local hardware shop and found that the ASUS
    > A8N5X runs for around $90 here. By poking in the ASUS A8N5X into Google
    > and going to the ASUS website for this board shows that some
    > overclocking can be done thru their software. It supports the AMD X2.

    I've gone for something remotely similar to the Ultra 40 - i.e. dual Opteron,
    but used a board from the same manufacturer as the Ultra 20 is. That and a fair
    helping of what I already have.

    I think it should all work OK!

    >> I've gone for the Geforce graphics card with the Nvida 6600 chip set
    >> and 256 MB. Audio is of no interest to me, so I'll stick with whatever
    >> is on board.
    >>

    > The ASUS uses the nVidia chipset on board. The HCL shows that this
    > board is 'reported to work'. I suspect that using the NVS series from
    > Nvidia will be no problem as the Ultra 20 uses them.

    I was going to go for the more expensive graphics options in the ultra 40, but
    they do tend to be expensive and I'm not convinced any software I run would
    benefit from them.

    >> I can't make my mind up between SCSI and SATA for disks.

    > I poked in 'sata cables' and found a web site that discusses this.
    > It seems that the article was written in 2003 and the article says that
    > SATA drives are more prone to errors than the ATA drives.
    >
    > http://www.ata-atapi.com/sata.htm

    That really compares IDE with SATA and not SCSI (at least not much). It is also
    quite old (3 years).

    >> Western Digital do the Raptor range of SATA disks but these are quite
    >> expensive - more than quite high spec SCSI ones that are on eBay. In
    >> many cases the warranties remaining on SCSI disks can be longer than
    >> on the SATA ones, so it is far from clear to me that SATA is the winner.
    >>
    >> Hopefully by the end of the week, assuming I have not forgotten
    >> anything, I will be up and running.
    >>

    > Well, good luck and post back how things went. :-)

    Well I have got the case today, but the graphics card which was ordered on the
    same order has not come. Apparently the courier should have had it, but did not.

    The motherboard + cpu should be here tomorrow, but don't know when it will all
    go together now! Not much use without a way to see what it is doing. I guess I
    could stick in a PCI VGA card.

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

  4. Re: Using at Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895) motherboard ?

    "Dave (from the UK)" wrote:
    > I've ordered a Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895) motherboard with Ultra 320
    > SCSI controller:
    >
    > http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8we.html
    >
    > (model S2895UA2NRF to be precise.)
    >
    > For now at least I have just ordered a cheap single-core Opteron 248 (2.2GHz,
    > 1MB, 800 MHz Bus, Socket 940) processor, but I'll get a couple of quicker
    > dual-core ones when prices fall a bit. Prices seem to rise almost
    > exponentially with speed and drop exponentially with time (no I have not
    > plotted them), so what is expensive today is far less so tomorrow.
    >
    > Is anyone else using this motherboard for Solaris 10 ? Any particular
    > issues?

    I didn't have much luck with it lately. I was able to install Solaris 10 GA
    with some minor problems. But everything newer than Patch 118844-18 panics
    the machine early on boot. I have tried Solaris 10 01/06, nv_27, nv_30, nv_33,
    32 and 64 bit.

    Could be a BIOS issue though. If I have time I will downgrade the BIOS
    and try again. Currently I'm running the system with BIOS rev. 1.02.
    As I write this, I just found out that a new BIOS has been released. Maybe I
    will get this new version a try (1.03):

    http://www.tyan.com/support/html/b_s2895.html

    --
    Daniel

  5. Re: Using at Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895) motherboard ?

    Daniel Rock wrote:
    > "Dave (from the UK)" wrote:
    >
    >>I've ordered a Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895) motherboard with Ultra 320
    >>SCSI controller:
    >>
    >>http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8we.html
    >>
    >>(model S2895UA2NRF to be precise.)

    >>Is anyone else using this motherboard for Solaris 10 ? Any particular
    >>issues?

    > I didn't have much luck with it lately. I was able to install Solaris 10 GA
    > with some minor problems. But everything newer than Patch 118844-18 panics
    > the machine early on boot. I have tried Solaris 10 01/06, nv_27, nv_30, nv_33,
    > 32 and 64 bit.
    >
    > Could be a BIOS issue though. If I have time I will downgrade the BIOS
    > and try again. Currently I'm running the system with BIOS rev. 1.02.
    > As I write this, I just found out that a new BIOS has been released. Maybe I
    > will get this new version a try (1.03):

    Thanks for that - even if the news is not too good.

    > http://www.tyan.com/support/html/b_s2895.html

    I should get the board tomorrow (well today actually as it is part midnight
    here). I'll update the BIOS soon no doubt, but get it running on 1.02 first (I
    think 1.03 has only been out a week or so, therefore its unlikely my board will
    have 1.03)

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

  6. Re: Using at Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895) motherboard ?

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:

    > I should get the board tomorrow (well today actually as it is part
    > midnight here). I'll update the BIOS soon no doubt, but get it running
    > on 1.02 first (I think 1.03 has only been out a week or so, therefore
    > its unlikely my board will have 1.03)

    I hope you ordered a floppy drive!

    --
    Ian Collins.

  7. Re: Using at Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895) motherboard ?

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    >
    >>I should get the board tomorrow (well today actually as it is part
    >>midnight here). I'll update the BIOS soon no doubt, but get it running
    >>on 1.02 first (I think 1.03 has only been out a week or so, therefore
    >>its unlikely my board will have 1.03)
    >>

    > I hope you ordered a floppy drive!

    I did!!! I realised one needeed a floppy for firmware update. Hopefully I can
    find a floppy around.

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

  8. Re: Using at Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895) motherboard ?

    "Dave (from the UK)" wrote:
    > Daniel Rock wrote:
    >> Could be a BIOS issue though. If I have time I will downgrade the BIOS
    >> and try again. Currently I'm running the system with BIOS rev. 1.02.
    >> As I write this, I just found out that a new BIOS has been released. Maybe I
    >> will get this new version a try (1.03):

    > Thanks for that - even if the news is not too good.

    Good news, I just flashed to the latest BIOS and Solaris likes to boot again
    from this machine. I just booted from my Jumpstart server into single user
    mode and did not do much testing - but with BIOS v1.02 I wasn't able to
    boot even into single user mode.

    Maybe tomorrow I will download/install snv_36 on this machine. I'll keep
    you informed.

    --
    Daniel

  9. Re: Using at Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895) motherboard ?

    Daniel Rock wrote:
    > "Dave (from the UK)" wrote:
    >
    >>Daniel Rock wrote:
    >>
    >>>Could be a BIOS issue though. If I have time I will downgrade the BIOS
    >>>and try again. Currently I'm running the system with BIOS rev. 1.02.
    >>>As I write this, I just found out that a new BIOS has been released. Maybe I
    >>>will get this new version a try (1.03):

    >>Thanks for that - even if the news is not too good.

    > Good news, I just flashed to the latest BIOS and Solaris likes to boot again
    > from this machine.

    What version of Solaris likes to install on the Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895)
    motherboard?

    > I just booted from my Jumpstart server into single user
    > mode and did not do much testing - but with BIOS v1.02 I wasn't able to
    > boot even into single user mode.

    I've got Solaris Express build 33 which I downloaded today but it fails with:

    Copyright 1983-2005 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Use is subject to license terms.
    WARNING: Failed to program IO space [0/1/1] BAR@0x10 length 0x20
    Configuring devices.
    WARNING: kstat_create('pci_intrs', 1,'config'): namespace collision
    WARNING: kstat_create('pci_intrs', 2,'config'): namespace collision

    I will try the Solaris 10 update 1 general release again. I managed to screw up
    making a Solaris 10 update 1 DVD in some way. I think the download must have
    been corrupted or me assembled the files wrong, as the checksum does does agree
    with that which someone else found.

    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE will sun provide md5 checksums for downloads?

    > Maybe tomorrow I will download/install snv_36 on this machine. I'll keep
    > you informed.

    Yes, I would be intersted.

    --
    Dave K MCSE.