Bad sectors detectors ? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Bad sectors detectors ? - Solaris ; How can I detect the bad scetors for Solaris 10 ? Mark and idetify bad sctors ?...

  1. Bad sectors detectors ?

    How can I detect the bad scetors for Solaris 10 ? Mark and idetify bad
    sctors ?

  2. Re: Bad sectors detectors ?

    ehabaziz2001@gmail.com wrote:
    > How can I detect the bad scetors for Solaris 10 ? Mark and idetify bad
    > sctors ?

    format(1m)
    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816...bb1kq1t?a=view

  3. Re: Bad sectors detectors ?

    In article <1143998342.454132.265840@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    Michael Paoli wrote:
    >ehabaziz2001@gmail.com wrote:
    >> How can I detect the bad scetors for Solaris 10 ? Mark and idetify bad
    >> sctors ?

    >format(1m)
    >http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816...bb1kq1t?a=view

    Note that this does not help in case that the sectors are just underway dying.

    Better use sformat

    ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/sformat/

    It scans SCSI disk at low level with error correction turned off.

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  4. Re: Bad sectors detectors ?

    ehabaziz2001@gmail.com wrote:

    > How can I detect the bad scetors for Solaris 10 ? Mark and idetify bad
    > sctors ?

    You know the process has been automated on SCSI drives
    since the early 1980s, right? So there's no need whatsoever
    to do so.

    Just checking to see if your next question is about defrag,
    which is the exact same type of comment.

    Use format and explore the menus a bit. You'll discover that
    you can display the known bad sectors on a drive. Even
    though the data is automated, displaying it is not without
    merit. The bad spots that are not full sectors are spots
    found at the factory. The bad spots that are full sectors are
    the ones discovered since purchase. The rate spots go bad
    does tell about the aging of the drive. If the rate goes up
    enough the automated bad sector redirection eventually
    fails. You'll occasionally want to look at the table to see if
    that's happening. Every 2-3 years will be fine.

  5. Re: Bad sectors detectors ?

    > How can I detect the bad scetors for Solaris 10 ? Mark and idetify bad
    > sctors ?

    If it's a disk you don't care about losing data on, then go into format and
    partition the whole disk out as one big slice. Choose the analyze menu and
    set the number of passes to 10 and "Use random bit patterns" to yes. Then
    you can format the drive, but it'll take awhile depending on the size of the
    media.

    After that let SunVTS run against the slice you created with:

    Media Write Read Mode set to WriteRead
    Media Transfer Size set to random
    Media Coverage set to 100

    Allow SunVTS to crank on that for a couple of days or more and if no
    additional bad sectors are found, then you should be fine.

    You can always go into format and do a "repair" against a specific bad
    sector you know about.

    Trinean

  6. Re: Bad sectors detectors ?

    Doug Freyburger wrote:
    > ehabaziz2001@gmail.com wrote:
    >> How can I detect the bad scetors for Solaris 10 ? Mark and idetify bad
    >> sctors ?

    > You know the process has been automated on SCSI drives
    > since the early 1980s, right? So there's no need whatsoever
    > to do so.

    That doesn't fit with my experience. Back in the days when I was
    a system admin on SunOS 4.x and 5.x systems, I saw several SCSI
    disks that developed defects which were not automatically corrected.
    Doing a manual repair wasn't always successful, but it had a greater
    chance than doing nothing.

    And if that isn't enough, just about 2 weeks ago, I had a bad sector
    on a SCSI disk in a RAID array on a Linux system. The bad sector
    prevented the disk from syncing properly after I replaced another
    disk that had failed; once I scanned for bad sectors and had the
    system repair bad sectors automatically, the RAID volume was able
    to sync up again and restore the parity information.

    - Logan

  7. Re: Bad sectors detectors ?

    In article ,
    Logan Shaw wrote:
    >Doug Freyburger wrote:
    >> ehabaziz2001@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> How can I detect the bad scetors for Solaris 10 ? Mark and idetify bad
    >>> sctors ?

    >> You know the process has been automated on SCSI drives
    >> since the early 1980s, right? So there's no need whatsoever
    >> to do so.

    >That doesn't fit with my experience. Back in the days when I was
    >a system admin on SunOS 4.x and 5.x systems, I saw several SCSI
    >disks that developed defects which were not automatically corrected.
    >Doing a manual repair wasn't always successful, but it had a greater
    >chance than doing nothing.

    You are correct, a drive (even with 100% correct auto-reassign firmware)
    cannot do what the manufacturer promises you:

    If you read a sector frequent enough, then the drive may notice the degradation
    of the data and auto-reassign it.

    If you do not read the sector, the sector may become completely unreadable
    and then the drive cannot reassign it because the original data is lost.

    Also note that "defective" sectors may not really be defective. This is because
    the fact is derived from just a bad CRC. A bad CRC may be a result of a
    spike or radio interference during the last write operation. If you like to
    proove the sector to be bad you first need to write into the sector and then
    try to read it back.

    Sformat uses this strategy when searching/replacing bad sectors.