2 Questions regarding Solaris 10 - Solaris

This is a discussion on 2 Questions regarding Solaris 10 - Solaris ; How can I change my system clock on CDE to point to the tycho.usno.navy.mil? I want to get the accurate time automatically if I can from the USNO...I would appreciate it in advance. Also, whenever I LOCK my desktop or ...

  1. 2 Questions regarding Solaris 10

    How can I change my system clock on CDE to point to the
    tycho.usno.navy.mil? I want to get the accurate time automatically if I
    can from the USNO...I would appreciate it in advance.

    Also, whenever I LOCK my desktop or session, the "Enter Password to
    Unlock your Desktop" prompt disappears after about 15 seconds or
    so...How can I make it just stationary for it to be seen all the time
    whenever I choose to lock my workstation or system?

  2. Re: 2 Questions regarding Solaris 10

    as400 wrote:
    > How can I change my system clock on CDE to point to the
    > tycho.usno.navy.mil? I want to get the accurate time automatically if I
    > can from the USNO...I would appreciate it in advance.

    You can use NTP.

    One simple way is to run ntpdate periodically from a cron job.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  3. Re: 2 Questions regarding Solaris 10

    On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 14:32:07 -0800, as400 wrote:

    > How can I change my system clock on CDE to point to the
    > tycho.usno.navy.mil? I want to get the accurate time automatically if I
    > can from the USNO...I would appreciate it in advance.

    Use of stratum 1 network time servers by individuals is inconsiderate.
    You appear to be in California; choose two or three stratum 2 servers from
    this list; there are a number of US CA servers.

    http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/...TwoTimeServers

  4. Re: 2 Questions regarding Solaris 10

    as400 wrote:
    > How can I change my system clock on CDE to point to the
    > tycho.usno.navy.mil? I want to get the accurate time automatically if I
    > can from the USNO...I would appreciate it in advance.
    >
    > Also, whenever I LOCK my desktop or session, the "Enter Password to
    > Unlock your Desktop" prompt disappears after about 15 seconds or
    > so...How can I make it just stationary for it to be seen all the time
    > whenever I choose to lock my workstation or system?

    Ask on alt.dev.null and leave us alone - most of us are fed up with you.

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

  5. Re: 2 Questions regarding Solaris 10

    So??? Then why are you even replying to me?

    Your just jealous of my questions...thats all...

    If your fed up with me, them LEAVE ME ALONE...But I want my questions
    answered...But not from YOU...

    So shall we continue folks?

    Now how how can I set the password prompt windows when I lock my
    session to have the window stay stationary?

    Thanks..except for Dave...

    He cannot stand my my so complex questions..isn't that right Dave??

  6. Re: 2 Questions regarding Solaris 10

    On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 20:00:14 -0800, as400 wrote:

    > So??? Then why are you even replying to me?
    >
    > Your just jealous of my questions...thats all...

    No, he and most of the rest of us are simply tired of your stupidity.
    You could find answers to all of your questions at http://docs.sun.com or
    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/home/index.html

    > If your fed up with me, them LEAVE ME ALONE...But I want my questions
    > answered...But not from YOU...
    >
    > So shall we continue folks?

    No! Nobody *owes* you any answers, and since you refuse to actually use
    Solaris to post your trolls to these newsgroups you can suck swamp water.

    > Now how how can I set the password prompt windows when I lock my
    > session to have the window stay stationary?

    You don't.

  7. Re: 2 Questions regarding Solaris 10

    So why in the hell does this Google Groups exist if I cannot ask
    questions?? I am from a WIndows world and I am new to solaris and if
    you have a problem with that then you may go to hell. Because I am
    going to still post like it or not.

    And plus, this is in fact discrimination. I will report this who everr
    is in charge of this group. I AM BEING DISCRIMINATED HRER AND I WILL
    NOT LEAVE IT ALONE...

    So you people have a problem with me and you all will regret soon..

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 20:00:14 -0800, as400 wrote:
    >
    > > So??? Then why are you even replying to me?
    > >
    > > Your just jealous of my questions...thats all...

    > No, he and most of the rest of us are simply tired of your stupidity.
    > You could find answers to all of your questions at http://docs.sun.com or
    > http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/home/index.html
    >
    > > If your fed up with me, them LEAVE ME ALONE...But I want my questions
    > > answered...But not from YOU...
    > >
    > > So shall we continue folks?

    > No! Nobody *owes* you any answers, and since you refuse to actually use
    > Solaris to post your trolls to these newsgroups you can suck swamp water.
    >
    > > Now how how can I set the password prompt windows when I lock my
    > > session to have the window stay stationary?

    > You don't.

  8. Re: 2 Questions regarding Solaris 10

    as400 wrote:
    > So why in the hell does this Google Groups exist if I cannot ask
    > questions?? I am from a WIndows world and I am new to solaris and if
    > you have a problem with that then you may go to hell. Because I am
    > going to still post like it or not.

    This isn't a Google group.

    You can catch more flies with sugar than with vinegar.

    > And plus, this is in fact discrimination. I will report this who everr
    > is in charge of this group. I AM BEING DISCRIMINATED HRER AND I WILL
    > NOT LEAVE IT ALONE...
    >
    > So you people have a problem with me and you all will regret soon..
    >

    > Dave Uhring wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 20:00:14 -0800, as400 wrote:
    >>

    >>>So??? Then why are you even replying to me?
    >>>
    >>>Your just jealous of my questions...thats all...

    >>No, he and most of the rest of us are simply tired of your stupidity.
    >>You could find answers to all of your questions at http://docs.sun.com or
    >>http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/home/index.html
    >>

    >>>If your fed up with me, them LEAVE ME ALONE...But I want my questions
    >>>answered...But not from YOU...
    >>>
    >>>So shall we continue folks?

    >>No! Nobody *owes* you any answers, and since you refuse to actually use
    >>Solaris to post your trolls to these newsgroups you can suck swamp water.
    >>

    >>>Now how how can I set the password prompt windows when I lock my
    >>>session to have the window stay stationary?

    >>You don't.

  9. Re: 2 Questions regarding Solaris 10

    On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 09:16:06 -0700, as400 wrote:

    > So why in the hell does this Google Groups exist if I cannot ask
    > questions?? I am from a WIndows world and I am new to solaris and if
    > you have a problem with that then you may go to hell. Because I am
    > going to still post like it or not.

    As you wish, but I don't have to see any more of your crap.

    *PLONK*

  10. Re: 2 Questions regarding Solaris 10

    I dont care what the hell you guys say...I am being very rudely
    discriminated here and YOU WILL answer my question I dont care how long
    it takes..but you are going to..OK? I have the right to ask questions
    here.

    So, like I said, keep it up, or else all of you WILL regret this.

  11. Re: 2 Questions regarding Solaris 10

    And I dont understand...What is so wrong on what the questions I ask
    here? Please, be honest...Please tell me...I am dieing to find out
    here. At least, tell me so. What is so wrong here and so stupid?

  12. Re: 2 Questions regarding Solaris 10

    as400 wrote:
    > I dont care what the hell you guys say...I am being very rudely
    > discriminated here and YOU WILL answer my question I dont care how long
    > it takes..but you are going to..OK?

    No, it is *not* OK.

    You have no right to demand answers to your questions.

    > I have the right to ask questions
    > here.
    >
    > So, like I said, keep it up, or else all of you WILL regret this.

    People answer questions on newsgroups out of choice. They have no obligation to
    do so.

    You don't pay them and have no right to demand their time. So why should they
    regret failing to answer your questions?

    I've tried to help you in the past out of choice.

    For reasons I don't care to share with you, I have chosen to ignore many of your
    questions. I don't regret that at all - it is my choice.

    So it is hard to see why I should regret this. And I doubt anyone else will
    regret it if they don't answer.
    --
    Dave K MCSE.

  13. Re: 2 Questions regarding Solaris 10

    On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 19:02:04 +0100, Dave (from the UK)
    wrote:
    > as400 wrote:
    >> I dont care what the hell you guys say...I am being very rudely
    >> discriminated here and YOU WILL answer my question I dont care how long
    >> it takes..but you are going to..OK?

    > No, it is *not* OK.

    Why don't you just put this ****wit in your killfile and forget about
    him/her forever?

    A bientot
    Paul
    --
    Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr (for what it's worth)
    Surgery: ennobled Gerald.

  14. Re: 2 Questions regarding Solaris 10

    On Sat, 1 Apr 2006, as400 wrote:

    > Your just jealous of my questions...thats all...

    Jealous? No. Fed up with them? Yes.

    > If your fed up with me, them LEAVE ME ALONE...But I want my questions
    > answered...But not from YOU...

    If you read the answers the first time you posted an NTP question,
    you wouldn't need to ask it again.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  15. Re: 2 Questions regarding Solaris 10

    "as400" writes in alt.solaris.x86:
    |How can I change my system clock on CDE to point to the
    |tycho.usno.navy.mil? I want to get the accurate time automatically if I
    |can from the USNO...I would appreciate it in advance.

    There's no way in the gui to do it - you would need to set up NTP.
    I'm sure google search for ntp.conf and Solaris will find you some
    instructions.

    |Also, whenever I LOCK my desktop or session, the "Enter Password to
    |Unlock your Desktop" prompt disappears after about 15 seconds or
    |so...How can I make it just stationary for it to be seen all the time
    |whenever I choose to lock my workstation or system?

    That's intentional, to prevent monitor burn in. I don't think it's
    configurable.

    --
    Alan Coopersmith * alanc@alum.calberkeley.org * Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM
    http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/ * http://people.freedesktop.org/~alanc/