Best Layout - Solaris

This is a discussion on Best Layout - Solaris ; I need your best advice of best layout for future packages installation [my hard 160GB] holding (Sol10/intel) Sol 10 recognize HD as followed : / : 9509 /swap : 594 overlap: 152613 /export/home: 142498 I need to expand /var for ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

  1. Best Layout

    I need your best advice of best layout for future packages
    installation [my hard 160GB] holding (Sol10/intel)
    Sol 10 recognize HD as followed :

    / : 9509
    /swap : 594
    overlap: 152613
    /export/home: 142498

    I need to expand /var for future installations ? Please advice the best
    ..

  2. Re: Best Layout

    On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 11:33:55 -0800, ehabaziz200 wrote:

    > I need your best advice of best layout for future packages
    > installation [my hard 160GB] holding (Sol10/intel)
    > Sol 10 recognize HD as followed :
    >
    > / : 9509
    > /swap : 594
    > overlap: 152613
    > /export/home: 142498
    >
    > I need to expand /var for future installations ? Please advice the best
    > .

    Why /var , new packages are normally put in /opt and the 9Gb on root
    *should* be large enough.

    The majority of your space is in /export/home, so may be some poor
    installation time choices :-)

    The easiest method of adding more space would be to install a new HD and
    utilise that.

    --
    Bruce

    "The internet is a huge and diverse community and
    not every one is friendly"
    http://www.ytc1.co.uk

  3. Re: Best Layout

    ehabaziz2001@gmail.com wrote:
    > I need your best advice of best layout for future packages
    > installation [my hard 160GB] holding (Sol10/intel)
    > Sol 10 recognize HD as followed :
    >
    > / : 9509
    > /swap : 594
    > overlap: 152613
    > /export/home: 142498
    >
    > I need to expand /var for future installations ? Please advice the best
    > .

    Add an extra slice the same size as / to support future live upgrades.

    If you are going to install a lot of software on a drive this size, just
    assign 16Gb for /.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  4. Re: Best Layout

    > The majority of your space is in /export/home, so may be some poor
    > installation time choices :-)

    Hi,

    Sorry to jump in, but since working with Solaris, I've always been
    curious:

    Why DOES the Solaris installer do that, i.e., assign most of the drive
    space to /export/home, and just a wee bit to /?

    Jim

  5. Re: Best Layout

    ohaya wrote:
    >>The majority of your space is in /export/home, so may be some poor
    >>installation time choices :-)

    > Hi,
    >
    > Sorry to jump in, but since working with Solaris, I've always been
    > curious:
    >
    > Why DOES the Solaris installer do that, i.e., assign most of the drive
    > space to /export/home, and just a wee bit to /?

    Because it's broken? Users have been whinging for years that the
    installer assigns too little space to /. Maybe it goes back to the days
    of small drives?

    --
    Ian Collins.

  6. Re: Best Layout

    Ian Collins wrote:

    > ohaya wrote:
    > >>The majority of your space is in /export/home, so may be some poor
    > >>installation time choices :-)

    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Sorry to jump in, but since working with Solaris, I've always been
    > > curious:
    > >
    > > Why DOES the Solaris installer do that, i.e., assign most of the drive
    > > space to /export/home, and just a wee bit to /?
    > >

    > Because it's broken? Users have been whinging for years that the
    > installer assigns too little space to /. Maybe it goes back to the days
    > of small drives?

    Ian,

    The thing is... at the place I work, they have a baseline install, and
    it's similar to the default Solaris layout, i.e., small / and most space
    in /export/home. When I asked why the baseline was that way, guess what
    the answer was?

    Yep... because that's the way that Sun/Solaris does it!!

    On the test systems that I've been working with, I change the layout,
    but I keep thinking that I may be doing something wrong, and missing
    some key reason for why most of the drive space should go to
    /export/home.

    Jim

  7. Re: Best Layout

    On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 17:19:23 -0500, ohaya wrote:

    >> The majority of your space is in /export/home, so may be some poor
    >> installation time choices :-)

    >Hi,
    >
    >Sorry to jump in, but since working with Solaris, I've always been
    >curious:
    >
    >Why DOES the Solaris installer do that, i.e., assign most of the drive
    >space to /export/home, and just a wee bit to /?

    Because that's all it needs? If you are not installing many or any
    commercial apps then root doesn't need to be very big. If you are
    installing a lot of commercial apps, a separate /opt is probably in order
    and root still doesn't need to be very big.

    On my Solaris 9 system, I allocated 740MB but actual usage never
    exceeded 50MB. On the new Solaris 10 system, I shrank root to 512MB and
    then ended up installing Sun Studio. oops. It helps to know your usage
    but don't be too clever. Fortunately, lack or room for /opt is not
    fatal. I just installed in /usr/opt

    /var needs more space then one might think. Patches require significant
    space in /var. Var usage is volatile and for many things, like mail and
    logs, you really don't want it to fill up.

    /home is for users. If you are going to fill up a 160GB disk it is
    going to be with user data, not the OS.

    --
    Photos and travelogues from Africa and Southeast Asia: http://www.exile.org

  8. Re: Best Layout

    ehabaziz2001@gmail.com wrote:
    > I need your best advice of best layout for future packages
    > installation [my hard 160GB] holding (Sol10/intel)
    > Sol 10 recognize HD as followed :
    >
    > / : 9509
    > /swap : 594
    > overlap: 152613
    > /export/home: 142498
    >
    > I need to expand /var for future installations ? Please advice the best
    > .

    Surprising not mentioned yet, you could assign /swap to the same amount
    as your RAM and the rest of the disk to / (root) and simply be done with
    it. I've found this schema works well for general desktop use, but
    you may still prefer to allocate /var manually if you are running many,
    or exclusively, service services.

  9. Re: Best Layout

    Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    > In article <1143672439.650672@drone2-svc-skyt.qsi.net.nz>,
    > Ian Collins writes:
    >
    >>Because it's broken? Users have been whinging for years that the
    >>installer assigns too little space to /. Maybe it goes back to the days
    >>of small drives?

    > The installer makes space for what it knows it will install.
    > Since you might be later installing anything from nothing extra
    > through to 10 times the initial Solaris installed software, there
    > isn't any way it can allow for this by itself. However, it does
    > allow you to specify very precisely how much disk space you want,
    > and where.
    >
    > Perhaps, without going into the manual disk layout, an additional
    > question asking how much extra space to allow in /opt for software
    > to be installed later? Then of course there's broken add-on
    > software like the sunfreeware.com stuff which installs in the wrong
    > place. I don't see an easy answer.

    The installer needs a good overhaul, the default options make it hard to
    expand a system and impossible to use live upgrade.

    Maybe one option would be to default to double the required space in /
    with an option to reserve an identically sized slice for future LU.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  10. Re: Best Layout

    In article <1143680477.278678@drone2-svc-skyt.qsi.net.nz>,
    Ian Collins wrote:
    >The installer needs a good overhaul, the default options make it hard to

    The author, Dave Miner, is seeking feedback.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  11. Re: Best Layout

    John D Groenveld wrote:
    > In article <1143680477.278678@drone2-svc-skyt.qsi.net.nz>,
    > Ian Collins wrote:
    >
    >>The installer needs a good overhaul, the default options make it hard to

    > The author, Dave Miner, is seeking feedback.

    Thanks for the link John.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  12. Re: Best Layout

    Wes W wrote:
    > ehabaziz2001@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> I need your best advice of best layout for future packages
    >> installation [my hard 160GB] holding (Sol10/intel)
    >> Sol 10 recognize HD as followed :
    >>
    >> / : 9509
    >> /swap : 594
    >> overlap: 152613
    >> /export/home: 142498
    >>
    >> I need to expand /var for future installations ? Please advice the best
    >> .
    >>

    > Surprising not mentioned yet, you could assign /swap to the same amount
    > as your RAM

    This advice doesn't apply to current Solaris, see

    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817...hcgsu9h?a=view

    --
    Ian Collins.

  13. Re: Best Layout

    ehabaziz2001@gmail.com wrote:
    > I need your best advice of best layout for future packages
    > installation [my hard 160GB] holding (Sol10/intel)
    > Sol 10 recognize HD as followed :
    >
    > / : 9509
    > /swap : 594
    > overlap: 152613
    > /export/home: 142498
    >
    > I need to expand /var for future installations ? Please advice the best
    > .

    hi,

    I installed Solaris 10 on a 180Mb HD using the default partitioning. Now
    I wish I hadn't . My / file system is now 99% capacity and there is
    too much data on my /export/home filesystem to move any place else, so
    repartitioning is going to present some challenge. I would create a
    reasonably big partition and mount /opt on it for all the add-on
    software you want to put there. Also the swap partition is only about
    500Mb, which can be maxed out in a hurry--especially when using the Java
    (GNOME) Desktop Environment.

  14. Re: Best Layout

    On 29 Mar 2006 11:33:55 -0800 ehabaziz2001@gmail.com wrote:
    > I need your best advice of best layout for future packages
    > installation [my hard 160GB] holding (Sol10/intel)
    > Sol 10 recognize HD as followed :
    >
    > / : 9509
    > /swap : 594
    > overlap: 152613
    > /export/home: 142498
    >
    > I need to expand /var for future installations ? Please advice the best

    I give ~ 4GB to swap (up to 32GB I have more RAM), and 16Gb to /var.
    The rest to /. I'm starting to think about doubling /var to 32GB.

    Creating /export/home on your boot disk is a waste of time. If you
    really need a /export separate from /, you'll have an external disk.

    And reserve a few cyls in s7 for metadb.

    The downside of this arrangement is no LU support, but I never am
    without root mirror, so a) I can just break up the root mirror to
    do a LU, and b) LU doesn't work with zones anyway. Once you start
    playing with zones you won't go back.

    Even if you don't do zones, and only have a single disk, an LU
    argument to break up / is bogus -- if you only have a single disk you
    don't care about the benefits that LU brings you.

    Even with zfs I plan to keep this strategy -- any zfs disks will be
    external.

    -frank

  15. Re: Best Layout

    ehabaziz2001@gmail.com wrote:
    > I need your best advice of best layout for future packages
    > installation [my hard 160GB] holding (Sol10/intel)
    > Sol 10 recognize HD as followed :
    > / : 9509
    > /swap : 594
    > overlap: 152613
    > /export/home: 142498
    > I need to expand /var for future installations?
    > Please advice the best

    There is no 'best layout'. Unless you have something special in mind.
    live upgrades zones software RAID etc. theres lots of examples where
    a single root partition and swap would be limiting. BUT you can always
    add disks later and create mount points to suit. In your case one
    root and a swap partition should be sufficient.

  16. Re: Best Layout

    Frank Cusack wrote:

    > Even if you don't do zones, and only have a single disk, an LU
    > argument to break up / is bogus -- if you only have a single disk you
    > don't care about the benefits that LU brings you.

    Do what? So all laptop users don't care about LU? come off it!

    --
    Ian Collins.

  17. Re: Best Layout

    On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 19:12:02 +1200 Ian Collins wrote:
    > Frank Cusack wrote:
    >>
    >> Even if you don't do zones, and only have a single disk, an LU
    >> argument to break up / is bogus -- if you only have a single disk you
    >> don't care about the benefits that LU brings you.
    >>

    > Do what? So all laptop users don't care about LU? come off it!

    Good point. I never even considered laptops. Or desktops, for that matter.
    -frank

  18. Re: Best Layout

    wrote:
    >I need your best advice of best layout for future packages
    >installation [my hard 160GB] holding (Sol10/intel)
    >Sol 10 recognize HD as followed :
    >/ : 9509
    >/swap : 594
    >overlap: 152613
    >/export/home: 142498
    >I need to expand /var for future installations ? Please advice the best

    Isn't this a solved problem nowadays with logical volumes and extendable
    filesystems? Use your best guess as to sizes for all filesystems, and leave
    unneeded space completely unused. As needs change later, cut out chunks of
    the empty space and add it to whatever filesystem is getting full.

    That said, this default is too small for root for most systems, but that's
    why you get to override it based on your expected needs.
    --
    Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net

  19. Re: Best Layout

    In comp.unix.solaris Mark Rafn wrote:
    >>I need to expand /var for future installations ? Please advice the best

    > Isn't this a solved problem nowadays with logical volumes and extendable
    > filesystems? Use your best guess as to sizes for all filesystems, and leave
    > unneeded space completely unused. As needs change later, cut out chunks of
    > the empty space and add it to whatever filesystem is getting full.

    Certainly not for root. You cannot (currently) make the root filesystem
    use non-contiguous storage. I don't think this applies as directly to
    the other filesystems.

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  20. Re: Best Layout

    ehabaziz2001@gmail.com wrote:

    > I need your best advice of best layout for future packages
    > installation [my hard 160GB] holding (Sol10/intel)
    > Sol 10 recognize HD as followed :
    >
    > / : 9509
    > /swap : 594
    > overlap: 152613
    > /export/home: 142498
    >
    > I need to expand /var for future installations ? Please advice the best

    Best advice is to know what the system will be used for,
    what will be installed on it and how much space that data
    will take up. Can't beat context and experience. So
    what's the system in question going to be used for? Since
    you didn't say I get to guess it's a VLSI design station,
    right? ;^)

    If I have to guess completely without context, then I will
    consider that it picked the size of / based on what it knew
    it was going to install so at a minimum double it. I'd also
    want /var separate because if /var fills the problem is a lot
    smaller than if / fills. Also, is this a lone system that will
    need home directories local? Small systems on small
    networks should also lack home dirs and let a server
    handle them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast