Solaris 10x86 hangs at "loading stage 2 ..." (2) - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris 10x86 hangs at "loading stage 2 ..." (2) - Solaris ; Hello to newsgroup, sorry for reposting, but I made some additional tests. On my small server there is the problem that Solaris 10x86 hangs at boot process. The system hangs at "Loading stage 2 ...". After this message nothing happens. ...

  1. Solaris 10x86 hangs at "loading stage 2 ..." (2)

    Hello to newsgroup,

    sorry for reposting, but I made some additional tests.

    On my small server there is the problem that Solaris 10x86 hangs at boot
    process. The system hangs at "Loading stage 2 ...". After this message
    nothing happens. What's the problem?
    Solaris 8, 9, FreeBSD 5.4 and Debian have no problems.

    I know that the system is not listed in the HCL, but I have two other
    systems that are also not listed and there Solaris 10x86 runs very good.

    Here my hardware:
    Siemens Primergy 470
    Dual PIII 450MHz, 2GB RAM
    2 SymBIOS/LSI 53C895 U2W-SCSI HBA
    Adaptec ANA 62022 dual port 10/100 NIC
    HP NetRAID RAID Controller with RAID 5 on 4 HDDs

    Thanks a lot for your answers

    Jürgen

  2. Re: Solaris 10x86 hangs at "loading stage 2 ..." (2)

    On 20/3/06 8:58, in article pan.2006.03.20.08.58.42.65941@T-Online.de,
    "Juergen Dankoweit" wrote:

    > Hello to newsgroup,
    >
    > sorry for reposting, but I made some additional tests.
    >
    > On my small server there is the problem that Solaris 10x86 hangs at boot
    > process. The system hangs at "Loading stage 2 ...". After this message
    > nothing happens. What's the problem?
    > Solaris 8, 9, FreeBSD 5.4 and Debian have no problems.
    >
    > I know that the system is not listed in the HCL, but I have two other
    > systems that are also not listed and there Solaris 10x86 runs very good.
    >
    > Here my hardware:
    > Siemens Primergy 470
    > Dual PIII 450MHz, 2GB RAM
    > 2 SymBIOS/LSI 53C895 U2W-SCSI HBA
    > Adaptec ANA 62022 dual port 10/100 NIC
    > HP NetRAID RAID Controller with RAID 5 on 4 HDDs
    >
    > Thanks a lot for your answers
    >
    > Jürgen

    I had that problem too, after ata.bef got updated by patch 120041-02. I
    could only boot by backing out that patch, but ultimately when I switched to
    newboot, ie grub, the problem went away...

    Cheers,

    Chris

  3. Re: Solaris 10x86 hangs at "loading stage 2 ..." (2)

    Hello Chris,

    thanks for your answer.

    Am Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:59:15 +0000 schrieb Chris Ridd:

    > On 20/3/06 8:58, in article pan.2006.03.20.08.58.42.65941@T-Online.de,
    > "Juergen Dankoweit" wrote:

    [...]
    > I had that problem too, after ata.bef got updated by patch 120041-02. I
    > could only boot by backing out that patch, but ultimately when I switched to
    > newboot, ie grub, the problem went away...

    Hm. But I don't use ata and how do I switch to newboot, when I boot from
    CD for installation process?

    Best regards

    Jürgen

  4. Re: Solaris 10x86 hangs at "loading stage 2 ..." (2)

    On 20/3/06 11:44, in article pan.2006.03.20.11.44.47.618016@T-Online.de,
    "Juergen Dankoweit" wrote:

    > Hello Chris,
    >
    > thanks for your answer.
    >
    > Am Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:59:15 +0000 schrieb Chris Ridd:
    >
    >> On 20/3/06 8:58, in article pan.2006.03.20.08.58.42.65941@T-Online.de,
    >> "Juergen Dankoweit" wrote:
    >>

    > [...]
    >>
    >> I had that problem too, after ata.bef got updated by patch 120041-02. I
    >> could only boot by backing out that patch, but ultimately when I switched to
    >> newboot, ie grub, the problem went away...

    > Hm. But I don't use ata and how do I switch to newboot, when I boot from
    > CD for installation process?

    I can't remember, but I think the grub-based boot system came in 118844-27.

    Cheers,

    Chris

  5. Re: Solaris 10x86 hangs at "loading stage 2 ..." (2)

    >> Hm. But I don't use ata and how do I switch to newboot, when I boot from
    >> CD for installation process?

    > I can't remember, but I think the grub-based boot system came in 118844-27.

    Where do I get an CD ISO image with this path? Is it Solaris 10 x86 01/06?
    If so, then I have to tell you this does not boot :-(

    Best regards

    Jürgen

  6. Re: Solaris 10x86 hangs at "loading stage 2 ..." (2)

    On 20/3/06 12:28, in article pan.2006.03.20.12.28.05.964178@T-Online.de,
    "Juergen Dankoweit" wrote:

    >>> Hm. But I don't use ata and how do I switch to newboot, when I boot from
    >>> CD for installation process?

    >> I can't remember, but I think the grub-based boot system came in 118844-27.

    > Where do I get an CD ISO image with this path? Is it Solaris 10 x86 01/06?

    It is part of that release too.

    > If so, then I have to tell you this does not boot :-(

    Oh dear :-(

    I don't know what to suggest now, I'm afraid.

    Cheers,

    Chris

  7. Re: Solaris 10x86 hangs at "loading stage 2 ..." (2)

    Juergen Dankoweit writes:

    > On my small server there is the problem that Solaris 10x86 hangs at boot
    > process. The system hangs at "Loading stage 2 ...". After this message
    > nothing happens. What's the problem?
    > Solaris 8, 9, FreeBSD 5.4 and Debian have no problems.
    >
    > I know that the system is not listed in the HCL, but I have two other
    > systems that are also not listed and there Solaris 10x86 runs very good.
    >
    > Here my hardware:
    > Siemens Primergy 470
    > Dual PIII 450MHz, 2GB RAM
    > 2 SymBIOS/LSI 53C895 U2W-SCSI HBA
    > Adaptec ANA 62022 dual port 10/100 NIC
    > HP NetRAID RAID Controller with RAID 5 on 4 HDDs

    When does it hang? When trying to boot from the installation
    CD / DVD? If yes, what kind of optical device are you using;
    Where is it connected? SCSI CD-ROM connected to Symbios controller,
    perhaps?

    Maybe this is:

    Bug ID: 6388098
    Synopsis: Installation from SCSI CDROM fails
    http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatab...bug_id=6388098

    Or

    Bug ID: 6256398
    Synopsis: 53C1010 (symhisl) doesn't boot from CDROM
    http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatab...bug_id=6256398

    .... which is supposed to be fixed in a recent opensolaris release
    on-20060313, see

  8. Re: Solaris 10x86 hangs at "loading stage 2 ..." (2)

    Hello Juergen,

    Am Mon, 20 Mar 2006 14:12:10 +0100 schrieb Juergen Keil:

    > Juergen Dankoweit writes:
    >

    > When does it hang? When trying to boot from the installation
    > CD / DVD? If yes, what kind of optical device are you using;
    > Where is it connected? SCSI CD-ROM connected to Symbios controller,
    > perhaps?

    Yes it is.

    [bug database]
    The bug is listed in the database - now I havbe the link to this database
    :-). I hope this will be fixed in Solaris 10 also.

    Many thanks for your answer

    Juergen

+ Reply to Thread