Graphical Resolution - Solaris

This is a discussion on Graphical Resolution - Solaris ; Hi Could someone point me as to how to change the graphics resolution under CDE please. I just installed the patch cluster to take my machine to 118844-20 and on reboot everything on the desktop was REALLY BIG! Login under ...

  1. Graphical Resolution

    Hi
    Could someone point me as to how to change the graphics resolution
    under CDE please.
    I just installed the patch cluster to take my machine to 118844-20 and
    on reboot everything on the desktop was REALLY BIG!
    Login under JDS (Gnome) showed the resolution was set to 640x480.
    I have the x86 box at home not connected to the internet and a Sparc
    box here at work so apologies if I do not get back to any replies
    straight away ;-)

    TIA PAUL

  2. Re: Graphical Resolution

    In article <1qjf12h19kh3koph00nmqq94h4ic2atj5k@4ax.com>,
    Paul Johnston wrote:
    >Could someone point me as to how to change the graphics resolution
    >under CDE please.

    Which X server are you using Xsun or Xorg?

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  3. Re: Graphical Resolution

    On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 22:28:45 +0000 (UTC), groenvel@cse.psu.edu (John D
    Groenveld) wrote:

    >In article <1qjf12h19kh3koph00nmqq94h4ic2atj5k@4ax.com>,
    >Paul Johnston wrote:
    >>Could someone point me as to how to change the graphics resolution
    >>under CDE please.

    >Which X server are you using Xsun or Xorg?
    >
    >John
    >groenveld@acm.org

    Just checked and its Xorg, seems that is the default for x86 arch, at
    least on the one I've installed.

    Paul

  4. Re: Graphical Resolution

    On 17/3/06 7:27, in article 05pk129btea39oho0a0r3gnubcs7r57a0u@4ax.com,
    "Paul Johnston" wrote:

    > On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 22:28:45 +0000 (UTC), groenvel@cse.psu.edu (John D
    > Groenveld) wrote:
    >
    >> In article <1qjf12h19kh3koph00nmqq94h4ic2atj5k@4ax.com>,
    >> Paul Johnston wrote:
    >>> Could someone point me as to how to change the graphics resolution
    >>> under CDE please.

    >> Which X server are you using Xsun or Xorg?
    >>
    >> John
    >> groenveld@acm.org

    > Just checked and its Xorg, seems that is the default for x86 arch, at
    > least on the one I've installed.

    It is the one you probably *should* be using going forward.

    Are you using the nvidia driver (not the nv one that Sun ships, the one from
    Nvidia itself)? If you are, is it the latest 8178 version?

    Is there anything helpful in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

    Cheers,

    Chris

  5. Re: Graphical Resolution

    Paul Johnston wrote:
    >Just checked and its Xorg, seems that is the default for x86 arch, at
    >least on the one I've installed.

    Lets see /etc/X11/xorg.conf or if you don't have one, what
    /usr/X11/bin/Xorg -configure generates.

    What are the make/models of your video card and monitor?

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  6. Re: Graphical Resolution

    At the login screen, select Options, Command Line Login. Run kdmconfig
    to confirm / or select Xorg. Then run Xorgconfig. Answer the questions
    about the hardware and it will create an Xorg.conf file. Logout and log
    back in and the resolution should be what you told Xorgconfig. You will
    have to look for Xorgconfig as I'm on a Sparc at work, not my X86 at
    home.

    Ron Halstead

    Paul Johnston wrote:
    > Hi
    > Could someone point me as to how to change the graphics resolution
    > under CDE please.
    > I just installed the patch cluster to take my machine to 118844-20 and
    > on reboot everything on the desktop was REALLY BIG!
    > Login under JDS (Gnome) showed the resolution was set to 640x480.
    > I have the x86 box at home not connected to the internet and a Sparc
    > box here at work so apologies if I do not get back to any replies
    > straight away ;-)
    >
    > TIA PAUL

  7. Re: Graphical Resolution

    On 21 Mar 2006 12:47:32 -0800, "Ron" wrote:

    >At the login screen, select Options, Command Line Login. Run kdmconfig
    >to confirm / or select Xorg. Then run Xorgconfig. Answer the questions
    >about the hardware and it will create an Xorg.conf file. Logout and log
    >back in and the resolution should be what you told Xorgconfig. You will
    >have to look for Xorgconfig as I'm on a Sparc at work, not my X86 at
    >home.
    >
    >Ron Halstead
    >
    >Paul Johnston wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> Could someone point me as to how to change the graphics resolution
    >> under CDE please.
    >> I just installed the patch cluster to take my machine to 118844-20 and
    >> on reboot everything on the desktop was REALLY BIG!
    >> Login under JDS (Gnome) showed the resolution was set to 640x480.
    >> I have the x86 box at home not connected to the internet and a Sparc
    >> box here at work so apologies if I do not get back to any replies
    >> straight away ;-)
    >>
    >> TIA PAUL

    Many thanks to all for their help, not got back sooner as I have been
    away.
    I ran Xorgconfig, told it all my details and put the config file in
    /etc/X11
    Works fine now :-)
    Would it be fair to say the auto detection aspect of specifying this
    information is a bit indifferent as I have had this happen to three
    different machines with differing hardware and each time I cannot
    believe I have done anything which would have caused this to occur.
    Many Thanks Paul

+ Reply to Thread