Serial console from boot. - Solaris

This is a discussion on Serial console from boot. - Solaris ; x86 Solaris 10 01/06, on Supermicro 6013. I've been trying to work out how the parts with serial consoles hang together. We would like to have the normal monitor console enabled, as well as, serial (remote terminal server) console. I ...

  1. Serial console from boot.

    x86 Solaris 10 01/06, on Supermicro 6013.

    I've been trying to work out how the parts with serial consoles hang
    together. We would like to have the normal monitor console enabled, as
    well as, serial (remote terminal server) console.

    I have turned on Remote Serial Access in Bios, tried "redirect console"
    as Disabled, Boot Loader, and Always settings. Bios shows up fine in
    TS.

    GRUB was initially not displaying anything on the serial, so I added:

    serial --unit=0 --speed=9600
    terminal --timeout=10 graphics serial

    Which will autoboot after a timeout, but at least giving serial console
    a chance to take control, and if I do, I can play with GRUB, and boot
    from serial.

    However, once Solaris boots I see no more information on the serial
    line.

    If I manually run
    "/usr/lib/saf/ttymon -g -d /dev/term/a -l console -T vt100"
    I get the "Login:" prompt and can push return, but I need to work out
    the magic missing for a login: console to come up automatically.

    # sacadm -l
    PMTAG PMTYPE FLGS RCNT STATUS COMMAND
    zsmon ttymon - 0 ENABLED /usr/lib/saf/ttymon
    #

    # pmadm -l
    PMTAG PMTYPE SVCTAG FLGS ID
    zsmon ttymon ttyb u root /dev/term/b
    I - /usr/bin/login - 9600 ldterm,ttcompat ttyb login: - tvi925 y #
    zsmon ttymon ttya u root /dev/term/a
    I - /usr/bin/login - 9600 ldterm,ttcompat login: - vt100 n #console

    I tried changing "y" to "n" incase it was a CD issue. As well as making
    flags "Ic" instead of "I".

    If I change GRUB to include -B "console=ttya" I get the Solaris 10 boot
    message but nothing after that. (No login) but I am worried that doing
    this means I lose monitor/keyboard access.

    Any suggestions?

  2. Re: Serial console from boot.

    In article <1142317234.354819.218040@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    >However, once Solaris boots I see no more information on the serial
    >line.

    See the FAQ

    (6.16) Can I use Solaris/x86 to setup a "headless" server?

    Try setting input-device and output-device.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  3. Re: Serial console from boot.

    Thanks for your reply. Guess I skipped that part of the FAQ as I'm not
    neccessarily making a headless server, although they mostly are, but
    the NOC staff (and I) needs to be able to plug in a monitor and
    keyboard to do work. This works.

    Serial bios, and grub works. I just want to get a "Login:" prompt on
    serial so I can login.

    The FAQ is also not really updated for Solaris 10.

    Anyway, I tried both:
    /boot/solaris/bootenv.rc:

    setprop output-device com0
    setprop input-device com0

    and:

    eeprom output-device=ttya
    eeprom input-device=ttya
    eeprom ttya-ignore-cd=true

    Both make no difference. I get the Solaris boot message (due to
    -Bconsole=ttya) but no ttymon/login is spawned.

    Ah also just tried "com1" above, but not the machine no longers
    responds, so I'll have to bike over to the data center.

+ Reply to Thread