Solaris 10 and License - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris 10 and License - Solaris ; I am asking always if it is a must for the License to install Sol 10 on inetl Platform or not ? What is the importance of the License ?...

  1. Solaris 10 and License

    I am asking always if it is a must for the License to install Sol 10 on
    inetl Platform or not ?
    What is the importance of the License ?

  2. Re: Solaris 10 and License

    In article <1141975389.013449.145920@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups. com>,
    ehabaziz2001@gmail.com wrote:

    > I am asking always if it is a must for the License to install Sol 10 on
    > inetl Platform or not ?
    > What is the importance of the License ?

    Homeland Security (or it's foreign cousin Interpol) won't come knocking
    on your doors asking to see a license. Seriously, it's a Legal
    Thing(tm) that means you paid to run Solaris on the hardware you have.
    Don't know if there anything like the VMS' License Management Facility
    that limits what will and what won't run on Solaris if there's no
    license key code input as part of installation. My guess is not.

    If this is a problem, why not go with OpenSolaris instead?

  3. Re: Solaris 10 and License

    The license is the legal right to run the software on a machine.
    It's free. You can request a lot of licenses when you download Solaris
    10
    from the Sun Download Center.

    It keeps the legal beagles happy.

    There is no license code, checks, etc; it's your responsibility
    to have one but no one will check up on you.

    - Bart

  4. Re: Solaris 10 and License

    Michael Vilain wrote:
    > In article <1141975389.013449.145920@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups. com>,
    > ehabaziz2001@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    >>I am asking always if it is a must for the License to install Sol 10 on
    >>inetl Platform or not ?
    >>What is the importance of the License ?

    > Homeland Security (or it's foreign cousin Interpol) won't come knocking
    > on your doors asking to see a license. Seriously, it's a Legal
    > Thing(tm) that means you paid to run Solaris on the hardware you have.
    > Don't know if there anything like the VMS' License Management Facility
    > that limits what will and what won't run on Solaris if there's no
    > license key code input as part of installation. My guess is not.
    >
    > If this is a problem, why not go with OpenSolaris instead?

    Am I missing something here? I thought that Solaris was now "free"
    (Solaris 10 anyway).

  5. Re: Solaris 10 and License

    On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

    > Am I missing something here? I thought that Solaris was now "free" (Solaris
    > 10 anyway).

    It is. For all uses.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  6. Re: Solaris 10 and License

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > Michael Vilain wrote:
    >> In article <1141975389.013449.145920@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups. com>,
    >> ehabaziz2001@gmail.com wrote:
    >>

    >>> I am asking always if it is a must for the License to install Sol 10 on
    >>> inetl Platform or not ?
    >>> What is the importance of the License ?

    >> Homeland Security (or it's foreign cousin Interpol) won't come
    >> knocking on your doors asking to see a license. Seriously, it's a
    >> Legal Thing(tm) that means you paid to run Solaris on the hardware you
    >> have. Don't know if there anything like the VMS' License Management
    >> Facility that limits what will and what won't run on Solaris if
    >> there's no license key code input as part of installation. My guess
    >> is not.
    >>
    >> If this is a problem, why not go with OpenSolaris instead?
    >>

    > Am I missing something here? I thought that Solaris was now "free"
    > (Solaris 10 anyway).

    Solaris 10 won't cost you $$ but you are obligated to acquired a license
    (again, free of cost $$) for each installation.

  7. Re: Solaris 10 and License

    > Am I missing something here? I thought that Solaris was now "free" (Solaris
    > 10 anyway).

    Even open source software has licenses. When you install OpenOffice or
    OperSolaris you have to acknowledge GPL or CDDL respectively.

    Same thing with Solaris, the licenses are free but they do have some
    legal meaning.

    David

  8. Re: Solaris 10 and License

    wrote in message
    news:1141981791.308031.269300@z34g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
    > The license is the legal right to run the software on a machine.
    > It's free. You can request a lot of licenses when you download Solaris
    > 10
    > from the Sun Download Center.
    >
    > It keeps the legal beagles happy.
    >
    > There is no license code, checks, etc; it's your responsibility
    > to have one but no one will check up on you.
    >
    > - Bart

    And if you want to get all updates you will need a maintenance agreement
    (not free).
    But if you just want security and some recommends (not clusters) then the
    Sun Update Manager available
    from the Solaris Java Desktop works fine. Of course if you are a corporate
    or other full
    sysadmin, then you probably don't need any of this information.

  9. Re: Solaris 10 and License

    dogren@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Am I missing something here? I thought that Solaris was now "free" (Solaris
    >> 10 anyway).

    > Even open source software has licenses. When you install OpenOffice or
    > OperSolaris you have to acknowledge GPL or CDDL respectively.

    OpenOffice license is LGPL, not GPL

  10. Re: Solaris 10 and License

    barts@smaalders.net wrote:
    > The license is the legal right to run the software on a machine.
    > It's free. You can request a lot of licenses when you download Solaris
    > 10
    > from the Sun Download Center.
    >
    > It keeps the legal beagles happy.
    >
    > There is no license code, checks, etc; it's your responsibility
    > to have one but no one will check up on you.
    >
    > - Bart

    The license also restricts you from redistribution etc....

  11. Re: Solaris 10 and License

    > The license also restricts you from redistribution etc....

    My favorite one is 5.f

    rick jones
    where do you want to be today?