Refresher on user groups please. - Solaris

This is a discussion on Refresher on user groups please. - Solaris ; Hi Folks: This pertains to a new installation of Solaris 11 01/06. I've been toiling in the shadow of the evil empire for over two years, and now I have the pleasure of working with Solaris again, to set up ...

  1. Refresher on user groups please.

    Hi Folks:

    This pertains to a new installation of
    Solaris 11 01/06.

    I've been toiling in the shadow of the evil
    empire for over two years, and now I have the
    pleasure of working with Solaris again, to
    set up a web site. And do some other tasks,
    to help me sell my Windows application.

    I guess I've forgotten how to use groups.

    I have created a user named "webuser", and
    a group called "webgroup". These names are
    the user and group used in Apache's config.
    I'm also using this name to hold the web's
    sites. Webuser's "usr/www/.site" will
    be symbolically linked to "/usr/www".

    Is this a good idea, or should I create
    another web account to administer the site?

    I (larryl) want to be able to wonder
    around webuser's site, and edit the files
    under webuser's "usr/www" directory.

    I can't get into webuser's home directory.

    $ pwd

    /export/home

    $ ls -l
    total 24
    drwxr-x--- 15 larryl staff 512 Mar 6 08:22 larryl
    drwxrwx--- 3 webuser webgroup 512 Mar 6 09:14 webuser

    $ whoami
    larryl
    $ groups
    staff webgroup
    $ cd webuser
    sh: webuser: permission denied
    $

    Isn't webuser's home directory in webgroup?

    Isn't larryl a member of webgroup?

    Don't webgroup members have read write and
    execute permission for the directory webuser?

    What did I forget?

    Thanks
    Larry

  2. Re: Refresher on user groups please.

    On Mon, 6 Mar 2006, Larry Lindstrom wrote:

    > I have created a user named "webuser", and
    > a group called "webgroup". These names are
    > the user and group used in Apache's config.
    > I'm also using this name to hold the web's
    > sites. Webuser's "usr/www/.site" will
    > be symbolically linked to "/usr/www".

    /usr is NOT a good place for user home directories. /home
    is better. /usr should only be uesed for system binaries
    and libraries.

    > Is this a good idea, or should I create
    > another web account to administer the site?

    That's what I'd do.

    > I (larryl) want to be able to wonder
    > around webuser's site, and edit the files
    > under webuser's "usr/www" directory.

    OK.

    > Isn't webuser's home directory in webgroup?
    >
    > Isn't larryl a member of webgroup?
    >
    > Don't webgroup members have read write and
    > execute permission for the directory webuser?
    >
    > What did I forget?

    Just a guess: have you logged out and back in again after adding yoursel
    to the group webgroup?

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  3. Re: Refresher on user groups please.

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Mon, 6 Mar 2006, Larry Lindstrom wrote:
    >

    >> I have created a user named "webuser", and
    >>a group called "webgroup". These names are
    >>the user and group used in Apache's config.
    >>I'm also using this name to hold the web's
    >>sites. Webuser's "usr/www/.site" will
    >>be symbolically linked to "/usr/www".

    > /usr is NOT a good place for user home directories. /home
    > is better. /usr should only be uesed for system binaries
    > and libraries.

    Thanks Rich:

    The whole cut and paste took place at /export/home.
    Webuser's "usr/www/.site" has an absolute path
    of /export/home/webuser/usr/www/.site.

    However, as someone who was confused, I do
    appreciate your recommendation. I'm just not that
    confused.

    >> Is this a good idea, or should I create
    >>another web account to administer the site?

    > That's what I'd do.

    Uh, which?

    Have the user and group from the Apache config
    be the owner of the sites?

    >> What did I forget?

    > Just a guess: have you logged out and back in again after adding yoursel
    > to the group webgroup?

    That was it.

    Thanks
    Larry

  4. Re: Refresher on user groups please.

    On Mon, 6 Mar 2006, Larry Lindstrom wrote:

    > > > Is this a good idea, or should I create
    > > > another web account to administer the site?

    > > That's what I'd do.

    > Uh, which?

    The latter.

    > Have the user and group from the Apache config
    > be the owner of the sites?

    Nope, use a different user for the site's files.

    > > Just a guess: have you logged out and back in again after adding yoursel
    > > to the group webgroup?

    > That was it.

    Glad I could help!

    President,