Solaris 10x86 1/06 retardedness - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris 10x86 1/06 retardedness - Solaris ; I've installed Solaris x86 dozens of times on my machines. I have an older version of Solaris 10x86, but can't find the CD's for it. I've installed that version a few times with success and I now need to reinstall ...

  1. Solaris 10x86 1/06 retardedness

    I've installed Solaris x86 dozens of times on my machines. I have an
    older version of Solaris 10x86, but can't find the CD's for it. I've
    installed that version a few times with success and I now need to
    reinstall it on my test machine due to a configuration change.

    I just downloaded 10x86 - 1/06. I go to install it on my Dell GX150,
    looks a tad different than what I'm used to. I get through the first
    prompt and get to the language selection screen... The keyboard is
    dead, I can't select the language. No problem, I reboot. Same thing,
    select "1" at the first menu, then at the language selection screen the
    keyboard goes dead again.

    For giggles, I hooked up a USB keyboard. This time I get nothing at the
    first screen, but now the keyboard works fine through the rest of the
    install! WTH is going on here??? Anyways, I get the install started,
    disc 1 is completed and it reboots. GRUB pops up, I have no control
    over how to boot it with the USB keyboard in place. Ultimately, I
    figure I have to keep a PS2 AND USB keyboard plugged in in order to get
    things going.

    Now, this brings me to another stumbling block that I can't seem to get
    around - Video. I have a Matrox G200 card in this machine. Under the
    older install of 10x86, it worked fine, not a glitch or hiccup. Right
    now, I can't even get this thing to get past Xorg OR kdmconfig.
    kdmconfig craps out when I try to test it, but instead of erroring out
    and taking me back to the config screen, it continues with the install
    with the screen completely screwed up. Xorg's config simply doesn't
    want to work and locks up hard. I've tried it with 4 video chipsets so
    far, The G200, Rage 128, Savage 4, and i815's built in video. All of
    them do exactly the same thing.

    I can't find the older version of 10x86 that I had. Is there a way to
    fix these problems or is there an archive of older 10x86 versiond for
    download?

  2. Re: Solaris 10x86 1/06 retardedness

    In article <1141666125.396599.291850@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups. com>,
    george.jones@gdc4s.com wrote:
    >I just downloaded 10x86 - 1/06. I go to install it on my Dell GX150,

    Make certain you have the latest BIOS for the GX150.

    >Now, this brings me to another stumbling block that I can't seem to get
    >around - Video. I have a Matrox G200 card in this machine. Under the
    >older install of 10x86, it worked fine, not a glitch or hiccup. Right
    >now, I can't even get this thing to get past Xorg OR kdmconfig.
    >kdmconfig craps out when I try to test it, but instead of erroring out
    >and taking me back to the config screen, it continues with the install
    >with the screen completely screwed up. Xorg's config simply doesn't
    >want to work and locks up hard. I've tried it with 4 video chipsets so
    >far, The G200, Rage 128, Savage 4, and i815's built in video. All of
    >them do exactly the same thing.

    VESA or VGA is usually a decent fail-safe but I recommend you install
    in text mode and by-pass the GUI all together.

    Post installation, you can run kdmconfig to choose the Xorg
    server and then run Xorg -config to create your xorg.conf.

    >I can't find the older version of 10x86 that I had. Is there a way to
    >fix these problems or is there an archive of older 10x86 versiond for
    >download?

    Once you get installed, use Martin Paul's PCA to download all the
    recommended patches. With 118966-15 installed, I have no problem using
    the Xorg mga driver with a G400 card.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  3. Re: Solaris 10x86 1/06 retardedness

    ok... it's official... The guys at Sun's offices that worked on Solaris
    10x86 1/06 release were smoking crack and meth.

    Out of curiosity, I grabbed a USB mouse to see if that made any
    difference... It did. X now works and the installer is running as I
    type this.

    Why on earth would they have screwed up the installer this badly? 3/05
    worked fine. Here they go screwing around with it between hits of the
    pipe and ended up makeing an installer that requires two keyboards and
    a USB mouse to be hooked up in order for the thing to work! Not
    thinking that the huge number of people that still use PS/2 stuff might
    just want to continue using it is about as retarded as it gets.

    Crack... it's a bad thing folks, just say no...

  4. Re: Solaris 10x86 1/06 retardedness

    In article <1141686873.699028.222820@j52g2000cwj.googlegroups. com>,
    george.jones@gdc4s.com wrote:
    >ok... it's official... The guys at Sun's offices that worked on Solaris
    >10x86 1/06 release were smoking crack and meth.

    Wow, please send some over to Sweden so I can determine for
    myself how it would affect my abilities.

    Fredrik
    --
    Fredrik Lundholm
    dol @ ce.chalmers.se

  5. Re: Solaris 10x86 1/06 retardedness

    "george.jones@gdc4s.com" writes:

    > For giggles, I hooked up a USB keyboard. This time I get nothing at the
    > first screen,

    = GRUB?

    > but now the keyboard works fine through the rest of the
    > install! WTH is going on here???

    Sounds as if "USB (keyboard) legacy emulation" is disabled in the
    BIOS? On some systems it must be enabled when you're using an USB
    keyboard, otherwise legacy software (GRUB, MSDOS) is unable to read
    from the keyboard.

    When USB keyboard legacy emulation is not enabled, the USB keyboard
    starts to work as soon as an OS with USB drivers (= the solaris kernel
    in this case) is up and running.

  6. Re: Solaris 10x86 1/06 retardedness

    "george.jones@gdc4s.com" writes:

    > Out of curiosity, I grabbed a USB mouse to see if that made any
    > difference... It did. X now works and the installer is running as I
    > type this.
    >
    > Why on earth would they have screwed up the installer this badly? 3/05
    > worked fine. Here they go screwing around with it between hits of the
    > pipe and ended up makeing an installer that requires two keyboards and
    > a USB mouse to be hooked up in order for the thing to work! Not
    > thinking that the huge number of people that still use PS/2 stuff might
    > just want to continue using it is about as retarded as it gets.

    I guess it's not the installer that is screwed up; it could be a side
    effect of completely replacing the bootstrap framework (newboot /
    grub), and swapping in a different ACPI interpreter (intel acpica) at
    the same time.

    My guess is that intel acpica has problems with the acpi tables on
    your box and for some reason doesn't detect the PS/2 keyboard & mouse
    any more. Note that ps/2 keyboard & mouse support isn't screwed up on
    each and every box. I've multiple boxes where Solaris newboot / grub
    / intel acpica is using ps/2 keyboards and mices just fine.

  7. Re: Solaris 10x86 1/06 retardedness

    wrote in message
    news:1141686873.699028.222820@j52g2000cwj.googlegr oups.com...
    > ok... it's official... The guys at Sun's offices that worked on Solaris
    > 10x86 1/06 release were smoking crack and meth.
    >
    > Out of curiosity, I grabbed a USB mouse to see if that made any
    > difference... It did. X now works and the installer is running as I
    > type this.
    >
    > Why on earth would they have screwed up the installer this badly? 3/05
    > worked fine. Here they go screwing around with it between hits of the
    > pipe and ended up makeing an installer that requires two keyboards and
    > a USB mouse to be hooked up in order for the thing to work! Not
    > thinking that the huge number of people that still use PS/2 stuff might
    > just want to continue using it is about as retarded as it gets.
    >
    > Crack... it's a bad thing folks, just say no...

    I have Solaris 10 x86 installed on Tyan S2507 (Tiger 230) with PS/2 mouse
    and keyboard
    and no problems whatsoever.

    Dell stuff is sometimes a little strange. I do have a couple of spare Dell
    530 workstations.
    I might just try an install on one of those in a while.

  8. Re: Solaris 10x86 1/06 retardedness

    I tried an install or Solaris 10 x86 01/06 on a Dell Precision 530 with PS2
    keyboard and mouse.
    No problems other than the onboard sound has no driver, not really a big
    loss.

    "Gerry Sinkiewicz" wrote in message
    news:RhWPf.20908$tb3.16261@newssvr24.news.prodigy. net...

    > wrote in message
    > news:1141686873.699028.222820@j52g2000cwj.googlegr oups.com...
    > > ok... it's official... The guys at Sun's offices that worked on Solaris
    > > 10x86 1/06 release were smoking crack and meth.
    > >
    > > Out of curiosity, I grabbed a USB mouse to see if that made any
    > > difference... It did. X now works and the installer is running as I
    > > type this.
    > >
    > > Why on earth would they have screwed up the installer this badly? 3/05
    > > worked fine. Here they go screwing around with it between hits of the
    > > pipe and ended up makeing an installer that requires two keyboards and
    > > a USB mouse to be hooked up in order for the thing to work! Not
    > > thinking that the huge number of people that still use PS/2 stuff might
    > > just want to continue using it is about as retarded as it gets.
    > >
    > > Crack... it's a bad thing folks, just say no...
    > >

    > I have Solaris 10 x86 installed on Tyan S2507 (Tiger 230) with PS/2 mouse
    > and keyboard
    > and no problems whatsoever.
    >
    > Dell stuff is sometimes a little strange. I do have a couple of spare Dell
    > 530 workstations.
    > I might just try an install on one of those in a while.

+ Reply to Thread