Zone virtual network - Solaris

This is a discussion on Zone virtual network - Solaris ; Hello, I just installed Solaris 10 on my x86 Notebook and now im experimentig whith zones. I set up one local zone and now I want to set up an virtual network for all zones. I createt one virtual interface ...

  1. Zone virtual network

    Hello,
    I just installed Solaris 10 on my x86 Notebook and now im experimentig
    whith zones. I set up one local zone and now I want to set up an virtual
    network for all zones.
    I createt one virtual interface vni0. The zone uses vni0:1.
    IP Addresses are: 192.168.1.1 for vni0 and ....2 for vni0:1

    I dont need IP Masquerading or something similar. I only want a pure
    virtual net 192.168.1.0 via which all zones and the global zone are
    connectet.
    How do i set up an Link between vni0 and vni0:1

    Thanks in forward
    Bastian Greuel

  2. Re: Zone virtual network

    > I createt one virtual interface vni0. The zone uses vni0:1.
    > IP Addresses are: 192.168.1.1 for vni0 and ....2 for vni0:1

    And what of vni0 itself ?

    > How do i set up an Link between vni0 and vni0:1

    That depends on the IP of vni0. If your upper sentence is correct then you
    don't need anything since it will already be setup. Otherwise you might need to
    add a routing entry.

    --
    Groetjes, Peter

    ..\\ PGP/GPG key: http://www.catslair.org/pubkey.asc

  3. Re: Zone virtual network

    Lion-O wrote:
    >>I createt one virtual interface vni0. The zone uses vni0:1.
    >>IP Addresses are: 192.168.1.1 for vni0 and ....2 for vni0:1

    > And what of vni0 itself ?
    >

    >>How do i set up an Link between vni0 and vni0:1

    > That depends on the IP of vni0. If your upper sentence is correct then you
    > don't need anything since it will already be setup. Otherwise you might need to
    > add a routing entry.

    I tried that.
    First my settings:
    bash-3.00# ifconfig vni0
    vni0: flags=20010100c0 mtu 0 index 9
    inet 192.168.1.1 netmask ffffff00
    bash-3.00# ifconfig vni0:1
    vni0:1: flags=20010100c1 mtu 0 index 9
    zone webserver
    inet 192.168.1.2 netmask ffffff00

    This doesnt work. I think its because vni is an virtual Interface. But I
    dont want to send my traffic via a real network interface.
    Any suggestions?

  4. Re: Zone virtual network

    > First my settings:
    > vni0: flags=20010100c0 mtu 0 index 9
    > inet 192.168.1.1 netmask ffffff00
    > vni0:1: flags=20010100c1 mtu 0 index 9
    > zone webserver
    > inet 192.168.1.2 netmask ffffff00

    > This doesnt work.

    I find that odd, it should work considering both IP adresses being in the same
    network. The zone should be responding to pings.

    Then again, you can always try to add a routing entry in the likes of: "route
    add 192.168.1.2 192.168.1.1 -interface"

    > I think its because vni is an virtual Interface. But I dont want to send my
    > traffic via a real network interface.

    You don't have to worry about that. Data between zones will never leave the box
    itself.

    --
    Groetjes, Peter

    ..\\ PGP/GPG key: http://www.catslair.org/pubkey.asc

  5. Re: Zone virtual network

    Lion-O a écrit :
    >>First my settings:
    >>vni0: flags=20010100c0 mtu 0 index 9
    >> inet 192.168.1.1 netmask ffffff00
    >>vni0:1: flags=20010100c1 mtu 0 index 9
    >> zone webserver
    >> inet 192.168.1.2 netmask ffffff00

    >>This doesnt work.

    > I find that odd, it should work considering both IP adresses being in the same
    > network.

    Actually, this is expected as both interfaces are flagged as NOXMIT.

    To allow traffic to occur, just run:

    ifconfig vni0 xmit
    ifconfig vni0:1 xmit

    Jean-Louis