Solaris 11 for more PC support?? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris 11 for more PC support?? - Solaris ; When does Sun going to release Solaris 11 for Intel PCs?? If it does get released this year or by the end of this year, will it have more hardware support than version 10? Thanks...

  1. Solaris 11 for more PC support??

    When does Sun going to release Solaris 11 for Intel PCs?? If it does
    get released this year or by the end of this year, will it have more
    hardware support than version 10?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Solaris 11 for more PC support??

    as400 wrote:
    > When does Sun going to release Solaris 11 for Intel PCs?? If it does
    > get released this year or by the end of this year, will it have more
    > hardware support than version 10?

    Why not follow Solaris Express releases and OpenSolaris to see where Sun
    Solaris next is going?

    --
    Ian Collins.

  3. Re: Solaris 11 for more PC support??

    "as400" writes in alt.solaris.x86:
    |When does Sun going to release Solaris 11 for Intel PCs?? If it does
    |get released this year or by the end of this year, will it have more
    |hardware support than version 10?

    Not this year. But then, new Solaris 10 releases are adding more
    hardware support already. Solaris 10 1/06 is the latest release,
    and a couple of more Solaris 10 update releases will be out later
    this year with even more. If you want a preview of the release
    after Solaris 10, see the Solaris Express releases for the current
    development snapshots.

    --
    Alan Coopersmith * alanc@alum.calberkeley.org * Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM
    http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/ * http://people.freedesktop.org/~alanc/

  4. Re: Solaris 11 for more PC support??

    > When does Sun going to release Solaris 11 for Intel PCs??

    Absolutely not this year. In fact, I even doubt that 11 is coming any time
    soon, at this moment it looks to me as if 10 (even number) can be considered
    stable where 11 (Express) is absolutely unstable.

    This brings back the good ole' Linux days when we had such reliability in the
    kernel...

    Anyway, back on topic, at the moment rumour has it that ZFS is going to find
    its way into Solaris 10 6/6 release (coming later this year) so that would
    indicate that 11 is still miles away.

    Still, I also don't understand the anxiety about 11. Whats wrong with 10? Its
    constantly being updated, even Solaris 10/x86 1/6 has support for Grub these
    days, to name one example.

    --
    Groetjes, Peter

    ..\\ PGP/GPG key: http://www.catslair.org/pubkey.asc

  5. Re: Solaris 11 for more PC support??

    ok, ok, lousy typo:

    > Still, I also don't understand the anxiety about 11. Whats wrong with 10? Its
    > constantly being updated, even Solaris 10/x86 1/6 has support for Grub these
    > days, to name one example.

    Thats Solaris 3/5. 1/6 is shipped with Grub, Solaris 3/5 isn't, yet its shipped
    through patches.

    --
    Groetjes, Peter

    ..\\ PGP/GPG key: http://www.catslair.org/pubkey.asc

  6. Re: Solaris 11 for more PC support??

    as400 wrote:
    > When does Sun going to release Solaris 11 for Intel PCs?? If it does
    > get released this year or by the end of this year, will it have more
    > hardware support than version 10?
    >
    > Thanks

    We use quite a bit of Sun gear and attend their propaganda meetings -
    sales tells me that the strategy this year is Solaris 10 everywhere. I
    just tried to install it on a Dell 1850 with a PERC 4si RAID controller
    and Solaris 10 1/06 absolutely REFUSED to see the array. According to
    Sunsolve the 4si controller was supported in 1/06. However, didn't work
    for me. Red Hat AS 4.1 saw the disk with no problem whatsoever.

    Guess we will see how much substance is in this new strategy. You can
    also find some freeware drivers out there (I found a nice Via LAN
    driver; can't recall the site off the top of my head at the moment).

  7. Re: Solaris 11 for more PC support??

    In article ,
    Bob Oblong wrote:
    >just tried to install it on a Dell 1850 with a PERC 4si RAID controller
    >and Solaris 10 1/06 absolutely REFUSED to see the array. According to
    >Sunsolve the 4si controller was supported in 1/06. However, didn't work
    >for me. Red Hat AS 4.1 saw the disk with no problem whatsoever.

    >Guess we will see how much substance is in this new strategy. You can
    >also find some freeware drivers out there (I found a nice Via LAN
    >driver; can't recall the site off the top of my head at the moment).

    Masayuki Murayama has written drivers for VIA Rhine and other
    network controllers.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

+ Reply to Thread