Installing Solaris 8 (10/00) using ITU Diskettes - Solaris

This is a discussion on Installing Solaris 8 (10/00) using ITU Diskettes - Solaris ; How many diskettes that I will need to install Solaris using ata.itu patch installation to my 40GB HD visible . Should I do : 1-dd ITU1.3 a: 2-dd S28DCA0502 a: Is there a need for step 3 ? 3-dd S27DCA0199 ...

  1. Installing Solaris 8 (10/00) using ITU Diskettes

    How many diskettes that I will need to install Solaris using ata.itu
    patch installation to my 40GB HD visible .

    Should I do :

    1-dd ITU1.3 a:
    2-dd S28DCA0502 a:

    Is there a need for step 3 ?

    3-dd S27DCA0199

    Said in the help that I will need that DCA specifically .

    Said in the help that I will switch between ITU floppy and insert the
    next ITU floppy .

    That is very confusing . Perhaps that the next ITU disk is the step2 ??
    I need answers pls .

    Another question is my DCA floppy came with my Solaris insallation kit
    is :S27DCA0199 ?

    I need to know what is the floppy that I will begin with and then whar
    are the floppies that I will switch ?
    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: Installing Solaris 8 (10/00) using ITU Diskettes

    In article <1141079722.179314.31930@t39g2000cwt.googlegroups.c om>,
    wrote:
    >How many diskettes that I will need to install Solaris using ata.itu
    >patch installation to my 40GB HD visible .
    >
    >Should I do :
    >
    >1-dd ITU1.3 a:

    Yes.

    >2-dd S28DCA0502 a:

    No. Boot from the DCA floppy for your Solaris 8 10/00 media kit
    or if your hardware supports booting from CDROM drives, boot from
    the Solaris 8 10/00 Software CD1.

    >Is there a need for step 3 ?
    >
    >3-dd S27DCA0199

    No. I suspect that's a typo from the author copying some boilerplate
    text about DCA/ITU diskettes.

    >Said in the help that I will need that DCA specifically .
    >
    >Said in the help that I will switch between ITU floppy and insert the
    >next ITU floppy .
    >
    >That is very confusing . Perhaps that the next ITU disk is the step2 ??
    >I need answers pls .

    I agree that the README is confusing.
    Since you only need to load the one ITU floppy for your fdisk issue,
    answer No when prompted for an additional ITU floppy.

    >Another question is my DCA floppy came with my Solaris insallation kit
    >is :S27DCA0199 ?

    No.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  3. Re: Installing Solaris 8 (10/00) using ITU Diskettes

    when a message appeared that put the other ITU floppy What sould I do
    ?

  4. Re: Installing Solaris 8 (10/00) using ITU Diskettes

    In article <1141143567.540370.321130@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    >when a message appeared that put the other ITU floppy What sould I do

    Choose "Done"?

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  5. Re: Installing Solaris 8 (10/00) using ITU Diskettes

    I Choosed "Done" but still Solaris did not see the whole HD after
    Manual layout . Any suggestions .

  6. Re: Installing Solaris 8 (10/00) using ITU Diskettes

    In article <1141241570.826339.179140@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    >I Choosed "Done" but still Solaris did not see the whole HD after
    >Manual layout . Any suggestions .

    Try booting from a floppy from the DCA image in the patch file,
    proceding with the install to Manual layout.

    If that doesn't work, try using Ranish Partition Magic on
    the Ultimate Boot CD to create a Solaris fdisk partition and
    then check if the Solaris 8 installation will recognize and
    re-use it.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  7. Re: Installing Solaris 8 (10/00) using ITU Diskettes

    On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 11:32:50 -0800, ehabaziz200 wrote:

    > I Choosed "Done" but still Solaris did not see the whole HD after
    > Manual layout . Any suggestions .

    IIRC it was not until the 4/01 release of Solaris 8 that any IDE HDD
    larger than 32 GB would be fully usable.

  8. Re: Installing Solaris 8 (10/00) using ITU Diskettes

    In comp.unix.solaris Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 11:32:50 -0800, ehabaziz200 wrote:

    >> I Choosed "Done" but still Solaris did not see the whole HD after
    >> Manual layout . Any suggestions .

    > IIRC it was not until the 4/01 release of Solaris 8 that any IDE HDD
    > larger than 32 GB would be fully usable.

    The FAQ suggests that 10/00 is sufficient...

    http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solari...is2.html#q5.64
    5.64) I have a problem with large disk drives.

    [...]
    Support for IDE disks over 32 GB was added to Solaris 8 10/00 for both
    SPARC and Intel.
    [...]

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  9. Re: Installing Solaris 8 (10/00) using ITU Diskettes

    On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 22:48:16 +0000, Darren Dunham wrote:

    > In comp.unix.solaris Dave Uhring wrote:
    >> On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 11:32:50 -0800, ehabaziz200 wrote:

    >>> I Choosed "Done" but still Solaris did not see the whole HD after
    >>> Manual layout . Any suggestions .

    >> IIRC it was not until the 4/01 release of Solaris 8 that any IDE HDD
    >> larger than 32 GB would be fully usable.

    > The FAQ suggests that 10/00 is sufficient...

    > Support for IDE disks over 32 GB was added to Solaris 8 10/00 for both
    > SPARC and Intel.

    Indeed, my recall was off by 6 months.

  10. Re: Installing Solaris 8 (10/00) using ITU Diskettes

    It is assumed that when I do :
    dd S28DCA0502 a:

    I can boot from that image file but I faced that error :

    dd: Error during open of [S28DCA0502]

    What I should do about that message ?

+ Reply to Thread