Training Classroom Multiboot Cloning - Solaris

This is a discussion on Training Classroom Multiboot Cloning - Solaris ; Ian Collins wrote... > >Harry331 wrote: >> Ian Collins wrote... >> >>>Harry331 wrote: >> >> >>>>1. Connect external 300GB hard drives to a file server. >>> >>>Why external? >>>Make it internal and fast, RAID or ZFS. This drive will >>>take ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: Training Classroom Multiboot Cloning

    Ian Collins wrote...

    >Harry331 wrote:
    >> Ian Collins wrote...

    >>>Why external?
    >>>Make it internal and fast, RAID or ZFS. This drive will
    >>>take a pounding with a class running VMWare virtual file systems off it.

    >> If you have 10 classes, you need 10 Internal HDDs.
    >> Well, you're right, external HDDs have their disadvantages.
    >> Maybe hot swappable internal HDDs would be the solution.
    >>

    >Why not 10 subdirectories?

    10 GB x 20 students x 10 subdirectories = 2000 GB

    I'm not saying there is no HDD with such capacity.
    Just hard to find, and maybe very expensive.

    Or you can do strip volumes on multiple HDDs; it would end up
    with multiple HDDs.

  2. Re: Training Classroom Multiboot Cloning

    Harry331 wrote:
    > Ian Collins wrote...
    >
    >>Harry331 wrote:
    >>
    >>>Ian Collins wrote...

    >>>If you have 10 classes, you need 10 Internal HDDs.
    >>>Well, you're right, external HDDs have their disadvantages.
    >>>Maybe hot swappable internal HDDs would be the solution.
    >>>

    >>Why not 10 subdirectories?

    > 10 GB x 20 students x 10 subdirectories = 2000 GB
    >
    > I'm not saying there is no HDD with such capacity.
    > Just hard to find, and maybe very expensive.
    >
    > Or you can do strip volumes on multiple HDDs; it would end up
    > with multiple HDDs.

    Sounds like a job for ZFS..

    --
    Ian Collins.