Video Problems with Solaris 10. - Solaris

This is a discussion on Video Problems with Solaris 10. - Solaris ; Hi Folks: I'm attempting to get Solaris 10 1/06 running on a low spec PC. This is a 233MHz Pentium with 256Megs and 40 Gigs. Installation went slowly, as Andrew predicted, but 7 1/2 hours after I started, I was ...

  1. Video Problems with Solaris 10.

    Hi Folks:

    I'm attempting to get Solaris 10 1/06 running on a
    low spec PC. This is a 233MHz Pentium with 256Megs
    and 40 Gigs.

    Installation went slowly, as Andrew predicted, but
    7 1/2 hours after I started, I was able to boot Solaris
    on this PC.

    I never ran kdmconfig but CDE was running when the
    PC booted after installation.

    The problem is that the text quality was poor.

    The Matrox Millennium in my departed PPro always
    looked fine, so I inserted it in this PC.

    The system boots as expected, and prints the
    copywrite warning and the host name in text mode.

    After that, while still in text mode, the display
    has a purple frame around the edges, and the text
    area consists of black, blue and green vertical
    stripes, one set at each character column. The text
    is barely readable, printed in purple.

    So I decided I'd run Xorg setup, as described in
    the kdmconfig message. I retrieved monitor specs
    from the net and entered those. I think this video
    card is a Matrox Millennium II, but it's 10 years
    old and I wasn't sure it isn't the first Millennium.
    So for video card I told Xorg's config program to
    use the generic Matrox drivers, rather than risk
    picking the wrong one.

    The Xorg configuration seemed to go OK, but a
    reboot showed that I still had the problem.

    Sorry about going on for so long, but I wanted
    to describe the situation.

    Suggestions?

    Thanks
    Larry

  2. Re: Video Problems with Solaris 10.

    Larry Lindstrom wrote:
    > Hi Folks:
    >
    > I'm attempting to get Solaris 10 1/06 running on a
    > low spec PC. This is a 233MHz Pentium with 256Megs
    > and 40 Gigs.
    >
    > Installation went slowly, as Andrew predicted, but
    > 7 1/2 hours after I started, I was able to boot Solaris
    > on this PC.
    >
    > I never ran kdmconfig but CDE was running when the
    > PC booted after installation.
    >
    > The problem is that the text quality was poor.
    >
    > The Matrox Millennium in my departed PPro always
    > looked fine, so I inserted it in this PC.
    >
    > The system boots as expected, and prints the
    > copywrite warning and the host name in text mode.
    >
    > After that, while still in text mode, the display
    > has a purple frame around the edges, and the text
    > area consists of black, blue and green vertical
    > stripes, one set at each character column. The text
    > is barely readable, printed in purple.
    >
    > So I decided I'd run Xorg setup, as described in
    > the kdmconfig message. I retrieved monitor specs
    > from the net and entered those. I think this video
    > card is a Matrox Millennium II, but it's 10 years
    > old and I wasn't sure it isn't the first Millennium.
    > So for video card I told Xorg's config program to
    > use the generic Matrox drivers, rather than risk
    > picking the wrong one.
    >
    > The Xorg configuration seemed to go OK, but a
    > reboot showed that I still had the problem.
    >
    > Sorry about going on for so long, but I wanted
    > to describe the situation.
    >
    > Suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Larry

    whenever you add or exchange hardware, you should do a reconfigure
    reboot. I.e. say "b -r" on the boot interpreter or "touch /reconfigure"
    before you shutdown your system.

    AFAIK Matrox cards should work with both Xsun and Xorg.

    HTH,
    Tom

  3. Re: Video Problems with Solaris 10.

    Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    > Larry Lindstrom wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Folks:
    >>
    >> I'm attempting to get Solaris 10 1/06 running on a
    >>low spec PC. This is a 233MHz Pentium with 256Megs
    >>and 40 Gigs.
    >>
    >> Installation went slowly, as Andrew predicted, but
    >>7 1/2 hours after I started, I was able to boot Solaris
    >>on this PC.
    >>
    >> I never ran kdmconfig but CDE was running when the
    >>PC booted after installation.
    >>
    >> The problem is that the text quality was poor.
    >>
    >> The Matrox Millennium in my departed PPro always
    >>looked fine, so I inserted it in this PC.
    >>
    >> The system boots as expected, and prints the
    >>copywrite warning and the host name in text mode.
    >>
    >> After that, while still in text mode, the display
    >>has a purple frame around the edges, and the text
    >>area consists of black, blue and green vertical
    >>stripes, one set at each character column. The text
    >>is barely readable, printed in purple.
    >>
    >> So I decided I'd run Xorg setup, as described in
    >>the kdmconfig message. I retrieved monitor specs
    >>from the net and entered those. I think this video
    >>card is a Matrox Millennium II, but it's 10 years
    >>old and I wasn't sure it isn't the first Millennium.
    >>So for video card I told Xorg's config program to
    >>use the generic Matrox drivers, rather than risk
    >>picking the wrong one.
    >>
    >> The Xorg configuration seemed to go OK, but a
    >>reboot showed that I still had the problem.
    >>
    >> Sorry about going on for so long, but I wanted
    >>to describe the situation.
    >>
    >> Suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Larry

    > whenever you add or exchange hardware, you should do a reconfigure
    > reboot. I.e. say "b -r" on the boot interpreter or "touch /reconfigure"
    > before you shutdown your system.
    >
    > AFAIK Matrox cards should work with both Xsun and Xorg.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Tom

    Thanks Tom:

    That didn't do much.

    The console, still in text mode with these stripes,
    was frozen, and I had to power down to reboot.

    I'm not seeing that part of the login where I can
    select boot options, where I would type "b -s" if I
    needed single user mode.

    The boot process included a properly displayed GUI
    screen where I'm asked to choose Solaris or Safe mode
    Solaris. This graphic display looks like VGA mode,
    but it's hard to say for sure. The question about
    the type of boot is in a large window and the desktop
    has those circular patterns of the Gnome desktop.
    Andrew warned me that Gnome might be much of a burden
    for this old PC, so I selected CDE on installation.

    I chose safe mode and the display reverted to text
    mode. The stripes popped up again but I was able to
    "touch /reconfigure" and type "shutdown -g0 -i0 -y"
    which caused a normal shutdown.

    The system re-booted, but the stripes are back,
    and after allowing a text login, the system seems to
    be frozen, unresponsive to any command I type. This
    has been the situation, and I've already had to cut
    power to shut down Solaris several times. This is
    not something I like to do, and I may have already
    corrupted some files.

    I would understand a video mismatch distorting the
    GUI session, but it seems odd that they would show up
    while the system is still in text mode, after displaying
    part of the login session properly.

    I've attempted to re-install, thinking it might go
    better if this Matrox card is in the system from the
    start. So in goes the Solaris DVD. After a couple of
    minutes the system drops into this mode again.

    There are a couple of messages on the striped
    install screen:

    Configuring devices
    asy1: UART @ 2f8 scratch register: expected 0x5a, got 0xff
    Cannot identify UART chip at 2f8
    asy1: UART @ 2f8 scratch register: expected 0x5a, got 0xff
    Cannot identify UART chip at 2f8
    /

    1. Solaris Interactive (default)
    2. Custom Jumpstart

  4. Re: Video Problems with Solaris 10.

    Larry Lindstrom wrote:
    > So I decided I'd run Xorg setup, as described in
    > the kdmconfig message. I retrieved monitor specs
    > from the net and entered those. I think this video
    > card is a Matrox Millennium II, but it's 10 years
    > old and I wasn't sure it isn't the first Millennium.
    > So for video card I told Xorg's config program to
    > use the generic Matrox drivers, rather than risk
    > picking the wrong one.
    >
    > The Xorg configuration seemed to go OK, but a
    > reboot showed that I still had the problem.
    >
    > Sorry about going on for so long, but I wanted
    > to describe the situation.
    >
    > Suggestions?

    Are there any hints in /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

    --
    Ian Collins.

  5. Re: Video Problems with Solaris 10.

    Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Larry Lindstrom writes:
    >
    >>Hi Folks:
    >>
    >> I'm attempting to get Solaris 10 1/06 running on a
    >>low spec PC. This is a 233MHz Pentium with 256Megs
    >>and 40 Gigs.

    < Snip >

    >> The problem is that the text quality was poor.
    >>
    >> The Matrox Millennium in my departed PPro always
    >>looked fine, so I inserted it in this PC.
    >>
    >> The system boots as expected, and prints the
    >>copywrite warning and the host name in text mode.
    >>
    >> After that, while still in text mode, the display
    >>has a purple frame around the edges, and the text
    >>area consists of black, blue and green vertical
    >>stripes, one set at each character column. The text
    >>is barely readable, printed in purple.

    > I suspect this is the auto-discover probing of the video
    > card. I've had this do nasty things in several PC's (in
    > the case of some Dell servers, it instantly wedges the
    > system).
    >

    >> So I decided I'd run Xorg setup, as described in
    >>the kdmconfig message.

    < Snip >

    > I would suggest using kdmconfig to switch to Xsun.
    > If it has a suitable driver, you may find it works
    > better. Xsun's support for older PC video cards is
    > actually very good, and Sun's Xsun setup program is
    > very much better than Xorg's.

    Thanks Andrew:

    No luck.

    With the Millennium installed, the system goes
    stripy and locks after asking for a boot to run
    kdmconfig. This happens before I'm asked to do
    a "Normal" login.

    I've tried several things, including running Xsun
    setup with the onboard video card, in hopes the system
    would come up thinking Xsun after installing the
    Millennium, and wouldn't do whatever it did to cause
    the odd display.

    Booting to safe mode allows the PC to run, with
    the corrupted display, but kdmconfig, and almost
    every other command I attempted to execute, weren't
    found. Even when in the command's parent directory.

    I appreciate your assistance, and I'd like to get
    my nice crisp Millennium II working. I can live with
    the on-board graphics if I have to. I have some
    pressing tasks this machine needs to tackle, so I
    think it's time to move on with what I have. But
    please offer any suggestions you can think of.

    Am I missing something, or is safe mode a
    serious security problem? I wasn't asked for a
    password but I was able to move through at least
    some of the directories on the system.

    Thanks
    Larry

  6. Re: Video Problems with Solaris 10.

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > Larry Lindstrom wrote:
    >
    >> So I decided I'd run Xorg setup, as described in
    >> the kdmconfig message. I retrieved monitor specs
    >> from the net and entered those. I think this video
    >> card is a Matrox Millennium II, but it's 10 years
    >> old and I wasn't sure it isn't the first Millennium.
    >> So for video card I told Xorg's config program to
    >> use the generic Matrox drivers, rather than risk
    >> picking the wrong one.
    >>
    >> The Xorg configuration seemed to go OK, but a
    >> reboot showed that I still had the problem.
    >>
    >> Sorry about going on for so long, but I wanted
    >> to describe the situation.
    >>
    >> Suggestions?

    > Are there any hints in /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

    Thanks Ian:

    There were no error messages in that log. "MGA",
    the Millennium's chip, was mentioned in the last
    statements of the log, so it was recognized. But
    nothing I read looked like a warning or report of
    an error.

    The last several lines of text in the log seem
    to be random numbers. I don't know if these are
    the octal encodings of unprintable characters or
    what. But something wasn't right.

    I'm grateful for your advice. As I told
    Andrew, it's time to put this PC to work.

    Thanks
    Larry

+ Reply to Thread