Partition 4 extends beyond end of disk - Solaris

This is a discussion on Partition 4 extends beyond end of disk - Solaris ; I faced that error message while I am re-install Solaris 8 (10/00) Intel Platform Edition. I chosed auto-layout though my Hard is 40 GB only 5897 MB is visible and even when I chose Auto layout I am facing the ...

  1. Partition 4 extends beyond end of disk

    I faced that error message while I am re-install Solaris 8 (10/00)
    Intel Platform Edition.
    I chosed auto-layout though my Hard is 40 GB only 5897 MB is visible
    and even when I chose Auto layout I am facing the problem :
    Partition 4 extends beyond end of the disk C0D0
    and Solaris partitions as followed :
    / :43 MB
    /usr/openwin :304 MB
    overlap :5898MB
    /var :30 MB
    /swap :148 MB
    /opt :25 MB
    /use :535 MB
    /home/export:4810 MB

    What should I do to make my Whole Disk (40 GB) visible ALTHOUGH that I
    am reinstalling Solaris , so any advice of installing a patch should be
    offered in details (HOW) becuase I can not install patch while
    reinstalltion Solaris As Far As I know .

  2. Re: Partition 4 extends beyond end of disk

    [removed comp.unix.shell from the followup-to as this thread is off-topic]

    In article <1140559619.067246.66110@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    wrote:
    >I faced that error message while I am re-install Solaris 8 (10/00)
    >Intel Platform Edition.
    >I chosed auto-layout though my Hard is 40 GB only 5897 MB is visible

    Old ata(7D) bug. There's a free ITU patch you can download which
    will allow you to install.

    BTW I recommend against using the Solaris installer's slice auto-layout
    feature and instead just use a single root "/" slice + swap for
    maximum flexibility.

    After you install, use Martin Paul's PCA to fetch and install
    the latest recommended and security patches for Solaris 8.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  3. Re: Partition 4 extends beyond end of disk

    in which step I will install the Patch the free ITU patch ?
    How can I use a single root "/" slice + swap for maximum flexibility ?
    What is the benefit of Martin Paul's PCA ?

  4. Re: Partition 4 extends beyond end of disk

    In article <1140637155.485918.247570@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    >in which step I will install the Patch the free ITU patch ?

    I don't recall which specific screen, but at some point the
    Device Configuration Assistant allows you to load Driver Updates
    or Install Time Updates.

    >How can I use a single root "/" slice + swap for maximum flexibility ?

    The installer ask you to choose between auto layout and manual layout
    of your Solaris slices. Choose manual layout and allocate some space
    in swap (slice 1) and the remainder in "/" (slice 0).

    >What is the benefit of Martin Paul's PCA ?

    Fast and easy download of the latest recommended patches.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  5. Re: Partition 4 extends beyond end of disk

    Can the Patch itself be a DCA (separate Floppy DCA) ?

  6. Re: Partition 4 extends beyond end of disk

    In article <1140733149.226607.124270@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    >Can the Patch itself be a DCA (separate Floppy DCA) ?

    The patch file includes a DCA floppy image along with the ITU floppy
    image, but I wouldn't recommend using that DCA image.

    Boot from your Solaris 8 10/00 CD or the S8 10/00 DCA floppy image
    and then load the ITU floppy when appropriate.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  7. Re: Partition 4 extends beyond end of disk

    The question how I will copy the patch from floppy to harddisk ?
    Manual mount HOW ?

  8. Re: Partition 4 extends beyond end of disk

    In article <1140817030.606719.164120@t39g2000cwt.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    >The question how I will copy the patch from floppy to harddisk ?
    >Manual mount HOW ?

    The README in the patch should describe how to copy dd(1)
    the ITU image to a floppy diskette.

    There's a version of dd for DOS floating around somewhere
    on the net if you don't have a working UNIX system nearby.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

+ Reply to Thread